PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Command 20HP head gasket repair

mcambrose
01-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Does anyone know where I can get instructions on head gasket replacement for Command 20 twin without buying a repair manual?

I need to know the recommended tightening sequence and the recommended torque settings and any other important information.

The kohler tech rep suggested retorquing the bolts after it has run a few hours. He said just to remove the OHV cover to retorque.

Thanks

lucforce
01-29-2008, 12:11 AM
I quit "re torquing" those head bolts long ago. I checked them for years after an install while they were playing with the head gasket construction, but they never need tightening after a run. So, I stopped checking. I stand by the idea that these gaskets fail due to improper fastener torque-largely at the factory. I have seen some individuals never able to seal a set of heads after multiple attempts. I have never had a set that I repaired fail.

I believe that Kohler will let you download the manuals.

Restrorob
01-29-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm with lucforce on re-torquing, I have never had one come back as well.

You can download a service manual here;

http://www.kohlerengines.com/service/manuals/index.jsp

But, The head gasket kit (one kit per side) comes with all needed instructions.

mcambrose
01-29-2008, 09:24 AM
You had previously sent me the link to the kohler site for parts lookup (which I use often), but I didn't have the site for service informaiton. This is really helpful. Thanks very much. I downloaded the manual to my computer at home and work, so I can find it either place.

Indy Kyle
01-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Tourque settings are over-rated.