PDA

View Full Version : Starting equipment

Fieldman12
01-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Okay, al of you guys that have equipemnt that sets over the winter. Do you guys go out at least once a month and start them up and rum them a bit to keep things up on them? Started my TN70 today and MF255. Found out the battery was dead on the 255. It was in the new barn that has no electric yet. :cry:We are going to wire it up this spring. Anyway took about 20 minutes before it had enough juice to start by jumping it with the skid steer. I moved it to the small barn and hopefully tomorrow will be able to charge it back up. I will take the cable off and make sure there good and clean. Probably will have to get a new battery for it soon.

cantoo
01-28-2008, 11:01 PM
I don't have one but I have heard that a solar powered tickle charger is pretty handy for something like that. This would work good where you don't have power too.

RockSet N' Grade
01-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Fieldman, all my stuff is put away for winter. I checked the water levels in the batteries before winter and topped them off. All terminals were cleaned. Come first freeze, I charged all the batteries to full charge. We start all the equipment once a week and idle/run it a bit when it is warm. I will go back in another 3-4 weeks and do the trickle charge thing again. Another thing I do is keep the diesel tanks full of diesel.....to the top, that way I help eliminate condensation. I also throw in Power Service Cetane Boost/anti-gel solution to help with the equipment sitting. So far, so good........spring starts are not that bad for me.......knock on wood.

cat2
01-28-2008, 11:17 PM
i put everything away and don't start it till i need it.

Fieldman12
01-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Normally I have real good luck with things. Liek you said I jsut make sure there ready before I put them away and start them at least once a month. I still have the MF 165 left to start. I got the little GT 235 Deere started up today also.

Gravel Rat
01-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Trickle chargers are BAD BAD for batteries you will end up sulphiding up the plates ruining a good battery. The best thing to do is disconnect the battery(s) and when you want to start it during the winter put the battery clamps back on.

A diesel should beable to sit for a month or two without starting and batteries disconnected. If its got a block heater it would be good to be plugged in. A fuel tank of fuel to keep the condo out of the tank and some fuel additive. I try to avoid adding biocide to fuel. If you have a bad batch of diesel drain the tank and put some clean fuel into it. The bugs love to grow in diesel that has water contamination.

I think gas powered equipment has to be the worst to store because gas goes bad and gums up carburators and fuel injected vehicals you end up with fuel pump problems.

Scag48
01-29-2008, 02:21 AM
When I was still living at home, I would take it upon myself to start our skid steer, mini excavator, and 3 tractors we have weekly or bi-weekly during the winter and run them for at least 10 minutes a piece. My dad never does this now that I'm gone, he is the absolute worst with maintenance. It definately skipped a generation, my grandpa taught me everything I know about maintaining and wrenching on stuff, my dad somehow didn't manage to pick any of that up.

BIGBEN2004
01-29-2008, 12:34 PM
On something I don't plan to run I usually unhook the battery to save the life in it. I also like to put a slow charge on it before I do this so it is good and charged so it doesn't freeze over the cold months.

tallrick
01-29-2008, 01:29 PM
It's funny, I just asked a similar question today. I had two gas-powered skid steers, a chipper and a generator, all with Wisconsin engines. When I get ready to store something for a long time I would change the oil, drain the gas tanks, run till the carbs are empty, remove the batteries and periodically charge them. I have found that batteries lose life when "trickle charged" and the loss of hydrogen does increase the sulphur content. Then again I have a very old battery in the M-610 that is probably 20 years old by now, I have rebuilt it once and wash it out every two years and add new electrolyte. Now I use the batteries in my power backup system- I do not like leaving batteries in a machine to increase corrosion. For the fuel system I have found that a mineral oil helps prevent parts from corroding, I use bowling lane oil in the carb and fuel pumps to prevent problems. When its time to run the machine I just add gas, install battery and start cranking.

john_bud
01-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Typically, if you are not going to run equipment long enough and hard enough to get the whole piece up to operating temperatures and keep it there for 30+ minutes, you are doing more harm than good. If you just fire up a diesel and run it for 15 minute, your are adding moisture to the oil and the exhaust system. It's better to let the equipment sit than to start it just for the pleasure of hearing it run. "If you start it, you best be work'n it", that's what was taught around here.

Just my opinion...

jb

cat2
01-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Typically, if you are not going to run equipment long enough and hard enough to get the whole piece up to operating temperatures and keep it there for 30+ minutes, you are doing more harm than good. If you just fire up a diesel and run it for 15 minute, your are adding moisture to the oil and the exhaust system. It's better to let the equipment sit than to start it just for the pleasure of hearing it run. "If you start it, you best be work'n it", that's what was taught around here.

Just my opinion...

jb

i agree:).......

BIGBEN2004
01-29-2008, 07:46 PM
I agree to that also:waving:

lifetree
01-29-2008, 09:10 PM
i put everything away and don't start it till i need it.

Generally speaking, I let my equipment sit over the winter months, also !!