PDA

View Full Version : Best Value in Roll off Truck

Andyinchville
01-29-2008, 12:14 AM
HI All,

I am looking into buying a used roll off truck because it seems to be the most versatile truck one can buy (can switch bodies for different uses).....My needs are somewhat basic for now (basically I want to tow my Case 680 Backhoe (approx 17000 lbs) as needed, and I want to be able to mount a 1500 Gallon Hydroseeder on the truck also as needed (I will use a modified Roll off container or setup so I can swap off bodies as needed).....Otherwise, the truck may be used as a mulch/trash hauler, or maybe even a moving truck at times if outfitted with an enclosed container.....or maybe even be used as an actual roll off truck for renting dumpsters....Hmmmm imagine that!

Anyways, I don't want to spend a lot of $$ on the unit itself (probably less than 20 K)....I don't mind an older truck but mechanically it must be good.

I have read and read but I was wondering what you would recommend in terms of truck brand and equipment the truck would be outfitted with.

I am thinking Manual tranny is a must (probably at least 6 speeds....prefer not to have to mess with the trouble prone 2 speed rear), budds instead of 5 spokes, air brakes, AC would be a plus, debating about GVWR....I am thinking heavy single axle would be OK but live tandems may be better BUT am a little concerned about the added tire wear (is it like wearing the rear tires on a tandem trailer when turning?...maybe an air lift pony axle but haven't seen too many roll off trucks with this ....the thought of wearing tires out quickly makes me a little paranoid about tandems......Debating about engine choice....probably bigger is better (obviously diesel)...Saw a truck with an L10
Is that good?...not too familiar with the bigger diesels....Basically probably Cummins or Cat huh?

Basically I want a workhorse of a truck that is reliable and relatively inexpensive to repair.

Thanks for any ideas and opinions on this....Go crazy with suggestions on how I can accomplish my goals!

Thanks again!

EA Quinn
01-29-2008, 08:11 AM
We were in the same dilemma as you a few years ago. We picked up a used roll off truck with 125k miles from a trash company around here(after promising them we werent going into the trash business:)) We needed a bigger truck than you sound like you need, but for the same purposes. I have two pics of our truck below. First off, I think you are going to have a hard time putting a truck together for less than 20k used or not. Also, just keep in mind, when you start jumping up into this size of vehicle, NOTHING is cheap! We just did a brake job on our truck, granted we have way more axles than you said you needed, but we did all the labor ourselves, and it was some big time $$$$$. We love our truck because you can do so much with it. We haul our equipment with it, we haul snow, and bulk materials with it, and winch our hydroseeder on it. We are currently building a flatbed for it. Its such a multi purpose tool. Once you get something setup youll love it. We did a lot of thinking about wether to go hooklift or roll-off. The dump angles are usually a lot better with the hooklifts compared to the roll-offs, but the roll-offs usually hold more capacity without exceeding your gvrw. Best of you luck to you. keep us informed with what you go with.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=98264&stc=1&d=1201543606

Andyinchville
01-29-2008, 10:05 PM
HI,

Wow Nice truck!......Just curious but when the hydroseeder is about 1/2 full and it starts to slosh when driving is it possible for it to come off the rails or is it somehow secured to the rails (other than sheer weight)....I haven't really had a good chance to look at a roll off set up up close and personal yet to which is why I ask.

Oh, somebody mentioned that a roll off truck may be difficult to tow with since the hitch may be so far under the rails....Do you have a pintle hitch on your truck?....would it be possible to use one and tow a full sized back hoe (I have an older Case 680).

I last question, On a tandem rear do the rear tires wear out quick like the rear tires on a tandem trailer.....That could get expensive....I did price big truck tires....wow!

Thanks!
Andrew

DUSTYCEDAR
01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
there r dogs on the rails they look like the letter c to catch it

DUSTYCEDAR
01-29-2008, 10:20 PM
oh the back should be chained down also

P.Services
01-29-2008, 10:25 PM
ea quinn you should put front floaters on that truck and it would look like workin truck not a highway runner.

EA Quinn
02-01-2008, 07:14 AM
We do have to chain whatever you are hauling to the rails. I wish we had the automatic lock dogs on our truck but we dont, so we have to manually wrap the chain around the rails. When the truck is half full, you feel a little sloshing, but not much. Its such a heavy duty truck you cant feel a whole lot. When its full, the truck has plenty of power, but you know its full. So far it has worked out great for us. We are in the process of locating a trailer to tow our backhoe around too. We are plumbing the air lines and putting a newer pintle on the back now. best of luck to ya.

Andyinchville
02-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys....I did see one pic of a truck with the "c" in the front to secure the container...Good luck on the pintle....I am also trying to find a big trailer too although that part will probably be easier than getting the truck itself.

Andrew