PDA

View Full Version : Does LOOKS Matter to You?

Mowman
10-29-2001, 08:15 PM
What I mean is do you worry that you must have the BEST looking truck out their to pull your equipment? ie: No rust or other defects as dents and other eye sores? Just wondering what everyone thinks. I've been looking for an older truck some are rusted. I don't mean fenders FLYING in the wind just things like cab corners and rocker panels. Yes, I'm looking at Chevy's. I just can't see having a BRAND NEW Truck and scratching it and denting it up. What do you all think???????
Thanks,

Mowman

HOMER
10-29-2001, 08:20 PM
It must or I wouldn't be paying 596.00 a month like a dumbazz!:cry:

If my old Chevy had been more dependable I would still be pulling with it, got a little embarrassing banging on the starter in frt of potential customers houses and having it overheat all the time.

It shouldn't matter as long as whatever you use is clean and YOUR clean too.

Dochere
10-29-2001, 08:30 PM
My personal vehicle has to be in perfect shape, never dirty, waxed and polished all the time. My work vehicle has to be presentable. No rust and washed once a week. as far as age or not having the new body style, that does not matter to me.

Richard Martin
10-29-2001, 08:53 PM
As long as the vehicle is presentable you should be okay. If you would be embarrassed to show up at a car show (I'm not talking about entering it) with it then you maybe should leave it behind the barn. But then I'm the only guy in my area that I know of that even bothers to put a little soap and water on my mowers.

Ric
10-29-2001, 09:10 PM
There is an old saying " Dress for sucess" and it applies to you truck trailer and Equipment. Image is everything. If you drive a beat up truck, pull a rag-out trailer and have junk for equipment don't complain when the customer beat up your price or hires the other guy for a higher price.

lawnworker
10-29-2001, 09:13 PM
I like to use older trucks that have wear and tear already .If i were to buy a new one and scratch it up i would freak out being brand new and all.Having said this if you are a solo operation you can really baby your truck whether it is a new are old truck.Mowman those older chevys are prone to rust [ 1987 and older models] you need to be a autobody man to keep the rust off once it gets a good start nothing short of cutting it all out and welding new steel in will fix it.Getting back on topic i think as long as the truck doas not have giant rust holes the customer should not be concerned are perceive more value in one service to the next based on vehicle looks .IF they are getting top notch lawn care service.

:blob1: lawnworker

XOFMOT
10-29-2001, 09:45 PM
Just remember...Those old rusty, dented , smokin', squeeky trucks were flawless new vehicles on a dealers lot at one time. Like RIC said " DRESS FOR SUCCESS". I go around in a 2 year old Silverado. It gets washed every 2 - 3 days, and always looks new. I present myself (short haircut, clean shaved, clean clothes-even keep 2 extra pairs of work clothes in the truck JUST IN CASE). I keep my vehicle and trailer lookin as clean and presentable as I can. 90% of my service area are HIGH end customers and that ol' rusty p/u just doesn't look that good in front of the $750,000 home!

We all know (or at least HOPE), our work and work ethics are our basis for keeping present customers as well as getting new ones. Any business destined for success has to perform in a TOP NOTCH manner in this business. We all have the problems of SCRUBS in our "WORK AREAS". This is something we have to deal with, and work to put a stop to! I am expensive. I charge on a average of $65.00 per hour for my services (yes, I have customers). I am lucky enough that my service area will not tollerate the "SCRUB" LCO.
5 of my customers (residential) asked to see proof of insurance even before I gave them an estimate. Looks and appearance DO COUNT, even more so if you are in an area of $$$$$$.

Ric
10-29-2001, 09:52 PM
"Dress for sucess" I got a phone call and posted before I got my whole .02 in. No it does not have to be a brand new truck etc. but the better it looks the better you look. Nothing beats sucess like sucess. That why everyone stands in line at a resturant when the one across the street is empy. Also if their nieghbor uses ABC Yard service it must be good so they use ABC yard Service. Remember people want to know that they are spenting their money wisely. Percieved Value and Recieved value are one in the same.

The other side of the coin is this. When people see a sign that is made of spray paint instead of pro-lettering they will call it because "why". "Why" because they think it is some poor guy who will work for nothing and they can get a bargin. Cheap work gets cheap refferals.

Ric
I can't spelllll but 2+2=5

JimLewis
10-29-2001, 10:10 PM
I agree, it's very important to dress for success. Vehicles, personnel, business cards, bid sheets, etc. should all look as nice as possible (within the contraints of your budget).

However, I am proof that you can have a very succesful business with older trucks. All of the 4 trucks in our fleet are 72 Chevy 3/4 tons. However, I have put very nice new paint jobs on them and they are all very neat and clean looking. It helps that 69-72 are collectors years too. So we get a lot of nice comments on them.

My truck, however is a new one and looks awesome. That's the one they see when I give an estimate. But the trucks in our fleet don't look bad at all. They are very professional. And they all look alike - the paint and the lettering.

What I do is buy these older trucks that have newly rebuilt or recently rebuilt engines and good trannys in them but maybe the paint is old. Then I get a good deal on them (I pay between $1000 and $2000 for them) and slap a nice paintjob, wheels, etc. on them and we are good to go. They look nice and are reliable as can be.

I don't think it's wise to buy all new trucks when you have a fleet. I sure as heck wouldn't want 5 truck payments each month. I am very happy with the 4 trucks we have that are paid off.

p.s. rust in the rocker panels of Chevy PUs is very common. They all have that. And a decent body shop can fill those areas in for not too much money.

Ric
10-29-2001, 10:23 PM
Jim

I could not agree with you more. In Fact one of my competers has a 1956( I think ) GMC that looks like it came right off the show room floor. If he takes that good of care of his truck I bet he will take that good of care of my yard. Dress for Sucess.

Ric
I can't spellll but 2+2=5

1MajorTom
10-29-2001, 10:29 PM
What I mean is do you worry that you must have the BEST looking truck out their to pull your equipment?
NO!

A work truck is exactly that!. A truck for work. I could never justify shelling out 600 scones each month for a vehicle to get worked in. Small accidents happen. A ding here a ding there. After all, look at the type of work we do. And a new truck sure as heck isn't going to stay new for long anyway.

Here's what you do. Buy the truck trader magazine at your local convenience store. Do not buy an older truck off of a dealer. You have to be patient. Take your time, and buy off of a private owner. Once again I state, be patient. That is the key. You will find a good well maintained older truck from a private owner. You just have to look for it.

Now I don't see anything wrong with having a new truck if you can afford it for giving estimates. But if you are buying a brand new truck and using it for work, and using it as your main pleasure vehicle, well as my daughter would say, that's the big "L". I see guys all the time posting on here about being covered in dust or grass from blowout, and then I think, well I sure hope their work truck isn't also their pleasure vehicle too. Let your work truck be a dependable older truck, and let your pleasure vehicle be awesome!

I'm gonna try to post a pic of our work truck. It's takes me awhile to get these pics to scan so bear with me here.:rolleyes:

LoneStarLawn
10-29-2001, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom

NO!

I could never justify shelling out 600 scones each month for a vehicle to get worked in.

We get a new truck every 2 years. I wouldn't pay that much either. You don't need leather seats so I would think $600 a month would be pricey for a new truck.

1MajorTom
10-29-2001, 11:04 PM
This old 1985 truck..... 113,000 original miles. When we bought it had 80,000. 3 years running strong with just general maintenance except for replacing the CV joint on the drivers side twice. :(

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/036/qW/zb/o2/kp19022.jpg

First bought.. no lettering

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/022/39/x3/FP/kP90704.jpg

Upclose to see the paint, no rust......

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/007/61/ab/Iv/kC27134.jpg

Let's keep things in perspective here. This is a work truck. Nothing wrong with keeping up an image. But I prefer to pocket my scones and bank them rather than buy new or lease a vehicle that isn't mine. Debt can be a huge burden, one that we don't have to face.

Lonestar: Homer said he pays $596.00 a month, that's sure pretty close to 600 bucks in my book.

LoneStarLawn
10-29-2001, 11:08 PM
Lonestar: Homer said he pays $596.00 a month, that's sure pretty close to 600 bucks in my book.

I didn't see that and I stated I wouldn't pay that much for a WORK truck.

$250 month here.

1MajorTom
10-29-2001, 11:11 PM
$250 month here.

uh, huh... and how much down?

LoneStarLawn
10-29-2001, 11:12 PM
$0 plus tax title and license.

thelawnguy
10-29-2001, 11:16 PM
What? Chevy S-10?

Let us in on the secret, please... :rolleyes:

LoneStarLawn
10-29-2001, 11:17 PM
F-250 XL Regular Cab V-10. It is a lease.

You can get a S-10 for $99 a month down here. Lease though.

LoneStarLawn
10-29-2001, 11:30 PM
oops sorry. I went and looked at the price we were quoted and it was $267 a month not $250

Shady Brook
10-29-2001, 11:30 PM
I am right with you Jim and Major Tom!

I am all for nice stuff, and would love to roll up in a nice clean truck, with nice clean equipment, but the bottom line is, I don't have time. Maybe I don't make the time, but with a wife and two little girls, and the maintenance to keep my stuff working from day to day, I don't have time to keep the truck **** and span, nor can I justify spending big bucks on a work truck. When I get done working, I believe I am the dirtiest human being on the plannet. My workers look clean, but I look like I went 15 rounds with pig pen from peanuts. My work has to look great, if my truck looks nice, that is swell, but what people look at all week is the lawn I leave. As long as the truck does the job, I would rather put business money into the mowing and landscapeing equipment so I can do the best job possible.
:)

Jay

I do love my Powerstroke just the same! :cool:

LoneStarLawn
10-29-2001, 11:32 PM
We lease to make sure there will be no down time with the turck. We think $267 is not that bad.

PRECISION LC
10-30-2001, 12:41 AM
When I first started last spring i had a 87' chevy 1ton diesal. A awsome work truck. I didn't have to care about scratching it up, or a little nic or ding, because all i had to do was paint over it to keep it looking good. Just like many others said "Dress for Success" i tried to keep it looking clean. I hauled two 21"s in the bed and really didn't go anywhere, i may have picked up 5 yards all summer.
This year I bought a 96" chevy Z71, looks great. Bought a w/b and trailer, "dressed everything up abit" kept it all clean and looking sharp. I have picked up almost 25 accounts this summer with people driving by, or seeing what kinda equiptment i use and the quality of work i do. i beleive that since i bacame more professional i gained more buisness. But on the downside I am much more concerned about this truck , i kick my own ass when i get a scratch of ding in it, and I'm extra careful.
Just something to think about
kyle:blob2:

Scag48
10-30-2001, 01:12 AM
My truck that I get when I turn 16 is a '72 GMC 350 V-8. GREAT TRUCK! It has some dings that I'm gonna get pulled out and I'm gonna paint the truck teal with metallic sparkles in it and then get vinyl truck signs on it. My grandpa and I were driving around in it and he punched it and got it up to 60 in town. LMAO. That was fun. First thing he says is "we need to get a new muffler for this thing when you get to drive it" I said, "nah, I love that!" This thing roars. I figure if I paint it and get it looking nice I should have no problems driving it around to jobs. It won't be rusty and won't have dings in it, it's just an older truck. Just about all of my competition has some P.O.S. that they got at the local dump but one guy has an almost brand new white Ford F-250 with a serious amount of truck signs. Old trucks rule!

bobbygedd
10-30-2001, 01:55 AM
i dont know how many times ive heard people talk about "that great resturant" they went to, its a little dive, dont look like much from the out side, and if u didnt know it was there, u would never notice it, BUT, it has the greatest food...... so, i guess my point is, if u pull up in a rolls royce, and have people skills like a baboon, u lose. now, if i pull up in a dumpy truck, and am knowledgable, speak in complete sentences, dont pick my nose, and am able to sell my product, i win. u get the point

HOMER
10-30-2001, 09:18 AM
Let me ask this question. If nobody wants any debt, they want everything paid for so they can put "all that money" in their pockets...................what do you do at tax time? Surely you report everything don't you? What do you have to write off if everything is paid for and you owe nothing?

My accountant hasn't figured out how to let me keep all my money yet.

If I didn't owe on that truck and a mower I guess I would just give it to the Government each year and never enjoy anything.

Fess up, how do you do it.

I still have a klunker that I can put back into service if I can just figure out how to beat the system!

1MajorTom
10-30-2001, 09:27 AM
Homer: if I can just figure out how to beat the system!
:confused:
There's a lot of business write offs you can choose to have. Having a truck payment is just one that we don't choose.

Shadybrook: I would rather put business money into the mowing and landscapeing equipment so I can do the best job possible.
Exactly!

lawrence stone
10-30-2001, 09:31 AM
I would rather have have the after tax income than supporting the UAW and the stockholders of the "big three".

KerryB
10-30-2001, 09:32 AM
Most of the LCO s around here have new trucks. And I am no exception. I have a 2001 chevy long bed, auto trans and 8cyl eng. But, as long as it doesnt backfire and smoke going down the road and is clean dont worry about it.
If your equipment and your person are clean thats what matters. Use proffesional looking paperwork and do a proffessional job and always use spellcheck lol. And my payment is only $320 per month. $0 down.

bubble boy
10-30-2001, 09:44 AM
xofmot-you've got it all figured out after half a year i guess. must be all those $750, 000 homes you work on
:rolleyes:

obviously some people would like to see a brand new truck, with brand new equipment. but for the most part, bobbygedd has it bang on. i know of companies using beat up trucks and older equipment who have customers with 10 million dollar homes. the work is what matters.

and i say that even though we prefer to purchase new trucks to plow with. leasing for plowing is ridiculously expensive. but honestly i am envious of the companies using older trucks. more $ in their pockets.

bruces
10-30-2001, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by HOMER
Let me ask this question. If nobody wants any debt, they want everything paid for so they can put "all that money" in their pockets...................what do you do at tax time? Surely you report everything don't you? What do you have to write off if everything is paid for and you owe nothing?

My accountant hasn't figured out how to let me keep all my money yet.

If I didn't owe on that truck and a mower I guess I would just give it to the Government each year and never enjoy anything.

Homer,

The only problem with the tax write off is that for every dollar you spend for a tax write off you only save a fraction of that ( 43% tax bracket including self employment tax). If you spend a dollar and save 43 cents, still have 57 cents. If you don't spend the dollar, you still have a dollar.

Although I have to admit, the prospect of having the tax write off can make the payouts easier to swallow.

scott's turf
10-30-2001, 10:49 AM
For me it is all about profit. If you can justify a $600/month truck payment when mine is paid for, I hope you are making a lot more than me. I keep my truck in good condition but it is still a 9 year old F250 diesel with 250k on it. Look professional but professional work is what keeps you in business.

AltaLawnCare
10-30-2001, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by HOMER
It must or I wouldn't be paying 596.00 a month like a dumbazz!:cry:

Whats being missed here is that Homer's 596.00 per month is paying for a vehicle which will go about 500,000 miles before any major problems, and will keep, or appreciate in value - especially now that Dodge is ruining the body style.;) . Not to mention that it gets about 20 mpg ( if we can round up 596 to 600, then 19mpg is 20 mpg).

Plus a big factor is that a Cummins powered Ram is fun to drive, it is the sports car of the 3/4 ton truck market!:p :p

bobbygedd
10-30-2001, 12:43 PM
the way to increase profits is NOT to increase your overhead then write off a small % at tax time. u have to pay taxes like it or not, but i try to keep the overhead down and the profits up. ill give uncle sam what i have to, only what i have to.

point
10-30-2001, 03:44 PM
BRUCES

If I don't spend the dollar I have 57 cents after taxes.
If I buy or lease a truck the whole dollar goes to the truck.
If I need the truck it's a great deal,
if I don't I shouldn't do it.

mark

Guido
10-30-2001, 04:07 PM
There is always the "new equipment vs. old equipment" arguement. It goes on in every working trade and it always will.

You have to remember one thing though......... You don't need new vehicles to look presentable and proffesional. Thats not the message a lot of people are getting from this. No one says you should have new trucks and trailers every year, but you should keep the one you have from dropping rust and body parts down the road as you drive away from your clients property.

Here's an example. This was my 22 year "OLD " truck that I just posted in another thread. I think you will agree that it doesn't have to be new to be good looking and clean.

LoneStarLawn
10-30-2001, 04:11 PM
Very sharp guido!!!

Pauls Mowing
10-30-2001, 07:52 PM
I run a '92 C-3500 dump, 454/auto. Works great for our application. 166,000 miles on it. I keep it wasked and in good repair. Paid $6500 for it 11 months ago. It makes me money.

Paul

HOMER
10-30-2001, 09:07 PM
I can justify it.
I can pay for it.
Maybe I am!
I enjoy it.
Don't regret it either.
I can get in mine any day of the week and drive to California or anywhere else I want to.........come home........hook up.........go back to work.

What I'm saving in fuel makes up that difference in payment over what I had...........a 98 Chevy with a thirsty 350.

Add your cheaper payments to the amount of your fuel bill on those gas burners and I'm sure you'll be close.

LJ lawn
10-31-2001, 12:17 AM
if you can get by with an older rig for a couple of years and keep up on the repairs yourself then great. but i haven't heard anyone mention down time. if the truck or equipment isn't running you aren't making money -period.i had my share of garbage vehicles and junk equipment and the related headaches of repairing and paying lots of money for parts etc.it just doesn't pay in the long run to keep dumping money into junk-(trucks&mowers).i keep all my stuff clean and power washed,i don't think it's helped get any new accounts though-(some maybe).i think the people are scared off- afraid i'd charge too much $$$ with the nice rig and all.that's why they go with some scrub with the junk raggedy-ass rig (they think they're sorry for they guy and that he must really need the money).

KirbysLawn
10-31-2001, 12:25 AM
I think so. I keep all my equipment clean, I hope to get a lawnscape truck in the next two years and retire the Ford for personal uses only. Here is my truck & trailer:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=190683

LJ lawn
10-31-2001, 12:42 AM
looks good! BUT- where do you put all the debris?-(hedge clippings, brush,stone,mulch etc etc,)

David Gretzmier
10-31-2001, 01:40 AM
We use the isuzu supers. bought new. 3 things: 1) won't break when you use them day in day out, and will continue that way with regular maintenance for 20 years or 300,000 miles. They are made to work. trucks from detroit are made to do everything and work SOME. no used or new ones unless your talking two tons and up are strickly and purposely built to work 2) rolling billboard- very professional, A nice trailer still looks like a trailer. when you close it up, your stuff is dry, hidden, secure, and you don't have to unhook it. 3) nobody here would buy a truck that any of us have used to pull a trailer day in and day out, knowing the wear and tear it puts on any truck. We all want to buy the creampuffs that have NEVER been used to tow- because we know WE want to be the one that "tows" the life out of it. and that life ain't 20 years. it's probably 2-4. after and during that you are replacing parts not designed for the load. I have watched 1 tons go from brand new to dang tired in 4 years pulling a trailer. and thats after you replace the brakes 5 times. The isuzus and other heavy trucks do what anyone in the freight business knows. you should carry the load on the truck's back. and that back should be more than strong enough for the load. Period.

I am done replacing axles, breaks, radiators and everything else on trucks that will haul groceries for 20 years, and kids. but not trailers. and keep the stories about how old and strong your tow vehicles are to yourself. I walked that road with 10 tow vehicles in 20 years, and yes I did maintenance, and fixed NEW and used trucks constantly. I am done. go ahead & Buy your $ 40,000 1 tons and see where they are in 8 years after towing. theyre past done. the truck will fall apart around the diesel engine.
Dave g

Randy Scott
10-31-2001, 01:44 AM
I would have to say it is personal preference as to whether or not you want a new vehicle and it's payment. I personally like new things. That is part of my drive to work harder and achieve more goals and toys in life. I love getting into a new vehicle and turning the key and going. Not that they can't have their problems also. They should be a little more reliable than an older vehicle though.
I've been down the road of fixing up older vehicles and it gets tiring. It is never ending. Put in new brakes, then a wheel cylinder starts leaking. Well, can't put that in without braking a rusty line. On and on it goes.
Then an axle seal leaks and ruins the new shoes.
Starter, alternator, battery, fuel pump, hoses, belts. That's all the easy stuff.
Then halfway through winter the blower motor takes a dump and you freeze your nuts off for two days trying to fix it. Get that fixed and find out the thermostat is stuck and now your back under the hood.
How about the early to mid-eighties GM power windows that can barely go up and down anymore. Take those turds apart once.
Should we even get into the majors, like motors or trannies, rearends.
Oh yeah, don't forget the exterior looks.
Not all older vehicles are always trouble, but give them a little more time, they will be.
Like I said, it's personal opinion on where your money goes, and to each his own. Mine is going to the finance company.
P.S It should be "Do looks matter to you", not does.

KirbysLawn
10-31-2001, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by LJ lawn
looks good! BUT- where do you put all the debris?-(hedge clippings, brush,stone,mulch etc etc,)

Debris is baggeg and hauled, mulch, stone, compost, and such are hauled by these guys: http://www.bluemaxmaterials.com No problem!!!

MOW ED
10-31-2001, 09:44 AM
David,
I am with you on alot of your points. As hard as it is to accept it, you hit it on the head. However, we are dealing with all kinds of LCO's here that are in different stages of business and that Isuzu (which I personally would love) is not an option for the income that alot of us generate.

I would really love to get an Isuzu but I also would like a New ZTR (manufacturer not revealed) a new Walker, and build a nice workshop/office to keep it all in. The wish list is what keeps me going ahead. There is no disputing that there is a better vehicle out there but like mowers ya have to sometimes get the thing that fits "most" of your needs. I do completely agree that if you have 40 grand plus to pay for a truck then you should evaluate what that truck is gonna be doing for you. I might not ever get to that point;

But I can always dream and work towards it!

Good Luck.

cp
10-31-2001, 12:22 PM
WOW

I've got a headache from reading this thread.:(

I would show you guys a picture of my new Silverado but I cannot afford a camera with the high truck payments.(Smartazz comment). And the OLD 1987 I just sold looked like new.

I want to say more but feel that enough has already been said.:(

bobbygedd
10-31-2001, 02:19 PM
to me, the bottom line is profit. if u spend $50, 000 on equipment, and the higher insurance payments that come with it, ill need to work x amount of years to pay it off. if u finance it all, u also have to pay interest. lets face it, appearance is important in anything u do, but in this business we are not going to work wearing tuxedos and shiny black shoes. if u r young, single, and dont have alot of bills to pay, u can do it alot easier than a guy like me , who, supports a family of 6. i know with better equipment, u can do more work, have less downtime, and not work as hard. but, u also have more overhead. the saying is that x % of small businesses fail. i believe that is largely in part by investing alot into equipment, and still haveing to pay your bills(mortgage, utilities, kids clothes, school , food, etc) and being in the "development" stage of your business, when the sh*t hits the fan, u go under. i think in the end, it all evens out, actually, id give the edge to the guy with lower overhead. remember, profit is what takes care of the kids, not high expenses.

LoneStarLawn
10-31-2001, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
....and being in the "development" stage of your business, when the sh*t hits the fan, u go under. i think in the end, it all evens out, actually, id give the edge to the guy with lower overhead. remember, profit is what takes care of the kids, not high expenses.

To each his own. I guess not having a new vehicle could cause you to go under too. If we all knew exactly why companies go under there wouldn't be a mystery on success. Everyone would do it.

bobbygedd
10-31-2001, 03:16 PM
IS THERE A "MYSTERY" TO SUCCESS? i dont think so, its obvious. every man has his own idea of what success is. the man that draws a line from where he is now(piont a) and where he wants to be(point b) and does whatever he has to do to get there, is a success. there are so many people who fail, its just alot easier to fail than it is to succeed.

bobbygedd
10-31-2001, 03:22 PM
also, id like to add: many years ago, we took my 18 foot boat out in the ocean fishing. we were quite a way from home when the weather turned to hell. huge waves, high winds. it took us 3 hrs to get back, it usually takes 30 min from there. when we returned, we found out that 2 boats in the area had capsized, one was 32 feet long, the other 28 ft. ! the coast guard made a comment on this: its not the boat, its the MAN behind the wheel that matters.

LoneStarLawn
10-31-2001, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
IS THERE A "MYSTERY" TO SUCCESS? i dont think so, its obvious. every man has his own idea of what success is. the man that draws a line from where he is now(piont a) and where he wants to be(point b) and does whatever he has to do to get there, is a success. there are so many people who fail, its just alot easier to fail than it is to succeed.

A famous quote <i>"Success is a journey. Not a destination"</i>

You have come across as those who are paying "high" truck payments will not be successful. That may not be what you are stating, but that is how you are coming across. Everyone has their own numbers. What works for one may not work for another.

"Mystery" might have not been the right world, but succes is not easy.

Your vehicle doesn't make or break you business. As you contradicted yourself as saying that many may have gone under for what they purchased, but then stated "it is the man" behind it that makes it happen. I feel the latter is true.

To me just stating that you like to have new vehicles does not diminish those who don't. Either way a business can be succesful.

http://www.stompingground.com/jmadda/sccano.jpg

bobbygedd
10-31-2001, 04:01 PM
very true, sorry to missrepresent my opinions. that was not my intention. it is surely, the man behind the wheel

greensummer
10-31-2001, 04:10 PM
1MajorTom & Rick Martin I do agree.

Image is everything! As long as the customer thinks its "almost new" than your "old" truck will do fine for your business. I own a '91 Chevy GMC 3/4 ton panel truck, with 229,000 KM on the odometer but with a brand new paint job IT LOOKS NEW! ;)

GreenStar
10-31-2001, 04:25 PM
for you guy's worried about scratching and denting new trucks this is for you. commercial leasing. i lease my 2k f350 for $405 a month 18k miles a year for 42 months. commercial leasing is totally different than consumer leases. pluse you can get custom truck bodies figured into your deal witch in the end may lower the payment due to increased value of the ride.
2000 f350
ext cab
dually
turbo diesel

LoneStarLawn
10-31-2001, 04:39 PM
That is what we do. People thought I was lieing about the price.

2001 F-250 XL Regular Cab V-10. (Just the basics) $267

leeslawncare
10-31-2001, 04:47 PM
Well guys guess i'am guilty! I had been driving a 87 nissaan for the past 8 yrs till this year ..it still ran but looked like crap.i still got it but this is my new work truck. I hope it last near as long as the nissan w/187k