PDA

View Full Version : Bagging with Paper Bags - HELP!

Doogiegh
10-29-2001, 09:11 PM
I'm looking into getting into doing some residentail small mowing and am wondering about plastic bag/leaves...

Where I live in NJ, if you bag and leave any clippings for town
pickup, they have to be in paper bags. Plastic is not acceptable. What's the best way to get rid of large quantities of leaves? I have a JD RX75 riding tractor, high lift blades and bagging kit. I dump the baggings into the woods where I live, but for jobs, what to do with oak trees leaves, etc?

Does anyone have a supply place for paper bags that they use?
Thanks.

email doogiegh@optonline.net

LoneStarLawn
10-29-2001, 09:31 PM
Why can't you use plastic? What was the reason for not being above to have clippings in plastic bags?

Do they open the plastic bags to make sure there are no clippings in them?

XOFMOT
10-29-2001, 10:00 PM
Alan, I have the same situation up here as well. The local towns WILL pick-up bags of leaves, brush, clippings and so on...ONLY in PAPER BAGS. This saves the town time when they go to dispose of the bagged product by not having to empty the bags due to the papers being bio-degradeable (sp?).

Eric ELM
10-29-2001, 10:05 PM
Same thing applys here. It has to be in the paper bags, no plasitc allowed.

Ric
10-29-2001, 10:06 PM
Our land fills will not acept standard plastic bags either how ever they accept bio degradable plastic. Bio degradable leaf bags are sold at supermarkets and discount stores in our area. Horticultural recyclers will not accept any trash only organic matter. Don't get caught dumping anything but organic matter at the recyclers if you ever want to dump there again. Check and see if your town will acept bio degradable plastic bags. They have printing on them. " Bio Degradable"

Ric
I can't spelllll but 2+2=5

fireball
10-29-2001, 10:06 PM
The towns that require you to use paper bags around here also make sure you buy them from the township. Prices are between .12 to 1.80 apiece. Any janitorial supply house will sell you paper bags. We also have a supply house called Uni-source that sells them.

thelawnguy
10-29-2001, 10:10 PM
You must use paper so they can be shredded and composted without opening them. Plastic will not compost.

The towns here that require paper bags provide them to the residents. Maybe have the residents get you the bags? Grocery stores here sell the big (40 gallon?) paper leaf bags 3 for $1.

Would it be easier to load the truck/trailer and dump at the recycling facility?

XOFMOT
10-29-2001, 10:11 PM
Luckily, bagging is not a issue to me. Thanks to ERIC and introducing us members to the DOUBLE BLADE way of thinking...bagging on my end is almost non-existent.

gogetter
10-29-2001, 10:28 PM
Doogiegh, not sure where you are in NJ., but I know there are a few municipal facilities over there that you can pay to dump that stuff at. I saw an ad about it in one of the industry magazines.

If not close to one of these, check for landscape supply companies that might take this stuff. That's what I use. There's one right around the corner from me. They take grass clippings, leaves, hedge clippings, small branches and turn it into mulch or compost and resell it.
You have to pay to dump, but just bill that to your customers.

LoneStarLawn
10-29-2001, 10:49 PM
So none of the dumps take plastic bags. So you all have to stick your garbage in paper bags too?

When the trash man pick ups the bag at your house how does he know if it bio-degradable or not?

Ric
10-29-2001, 10:57 PM
Alan

Bio degradable is printed right on each bag.

Ric

XOFMOT
10-29-2001, 10:57 PM
No dumps open any more in my area. All TRASH goes to a transfer station ( people, yes people, sort and seperate our trash at this staion). Plastics go one way, paper products another, glass thatem' way...and so on....

Anytime the town see's a PAPER bag on your curb, it goes to the towns COMPOST pile (and it better not be trash in there!)

LoneStarLawn
10-29-2001, 10:59 PM
Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Obviously it shows I am in Texas for asking those questions?

Bio-degradable??? What is that...LOL

thelawnguy
10-29-2001, 11:10 PM
Here in CT no green (lawn) waste is allowed to be incinerated or landfilled it must be composted, so leaves, grass clippings, branches, etc must be separated. Cans and bottles must be separated as well as newspaper. The trashman here will not empty the barrel if you have not separated recyclables. What's left is incinerated. For my household of four, that means one 32 gal can a week of trash, two 10-gal recycling buckets of cans/bottles/newspapers/magazines, leaves and clippings get mulched in the lawn, the town collects branches, stumps, and wood the third Monday of the month and food waste goes in the garbage disposal.

Whew! :eek:

BRL
10-29-2001, 11:17 PM
Alan,
You guys don't recycle down there? The garbage here goes in plastic bags and anything that can be recycled is put out separately. No organic materials are allowed to be dumped in landfills anymore. Its funny how everything is different in a place where there is plenty of room to put landfills ;)

Doogie
Like theLawnguy said, it will probably be easier to gather & haul the leaves to where you are taking your leaves now (or a site that takes them). This reminds me of a customer that wanted me to do a leaf clean up back before I just recycled them into the lawn. She wanted me to put them in the brown bags she had bought to leave at the curb for the town (a big PIA in my eyes). It took a while, but she finally got the hint when I told her the price for me to bag them & put them at the curb would be $400.00. However, if she let me put them in my pretty big green barrels & haul them away in my dump truck it would be $275.00. She chose my option ;)

LoneStarLawn
10-29-2001, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by BRL
Alan,
You guys don't recycle down there? The garbage here goes in plastic bags and anything that can be recycled is put out separately. No organic materials are allowed to be dumped in landfills anymore. Its funny how everything is different in a place where there is plenty of room to put landfills ;)

Yes we recycle but the city provides us with a recycling bin that we put out with the trash. A seperate truck comes an gets the recycle stuff. I was joking earlier.

Flex-Deck
10-29-2001, 11:53 PM
I used to bag all the time - Was always worried about thach build up. Then when I discovered gators and blades like that (stens for one) I found that there was no need for bagging, and my yard has never looked better (quit bagging 4 years ago). Fall is now here, and I double blade (My JD's use a (60" main deck with the flex-deck and all blades are the same length) Gator on top and a Dixie Chopper blade on the bottom and I mow inward all day and when you are done the leaves and grass have been turned to dust. The yard actually looks cleaner than when bagging, but I have returned a lot of organic material back to Mother Earth, and she will reward me next year with a very good looking yard. I do have to admit it takes a little longer to mow when throwing in all day because the trimming side of my mower is not in the appropriate place to mow around trees etc and I do have to make adjustments in those cases. DOUBLE BLADE AND FORGET THE BAGS.

GLS
10-30-2001, 12:36 AM
Here in the fall, a leaf sucking truck and a crew come by every week or so to pick up leaves off the curb. I pile leaves up about 5 feet high and 50 feet long...they have it gone in no time. It's really nice, but if the leaves sit there for a week, they scatter all over the yard again so sometimes I burn em...no laws about burnin here either.

cos
10-30-2001, 11:59 AM
Where I work, they don't have leaf pick up and if you do them yourselves they have to be put in paper bags. I bought a few for small jobs so I don't have to lug them around all day. They have leaf pick up in my neighborhood too.

Doogiegh
11-14-2001, 11:21 PM
Does anyone have a supplier they use for paper leaf bags? I see them in Home Depot or Loews for $1.99 for a 5 pack.. That works out to be $.40 a bag. That's alot when you compare to the price of plastic, but where I am in NJ, plastic is not allowed at all. I know about mulching, but in some spots, it is just too much to mulch.

So, is anyone out there buying quantities of paper leaf bags in bulk?

Thanks.

Runner
11-15-2001, 02:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Doogiegh
["What's the best way to get rid of large quantities of leaves? I have a JD RX75 riding tractor, high lift blades and bagging kit."

"I dump the baggings into the woods where I live, but for jobs, what to do with oak trees leaves, etc?"

If you have woods right where you live, why don't you just tarp them, truck them home, and dump them in the woods. As long as you kick the piles down, and spread them out in different ares, they will never accumulate. If you spread them this year, they will be gone next.

the point man
11-15-2001, 10:52 AM
What size paper bags are you guys talking about? Are you referring to grocery-store size bags or huge paper bags which
will hold 30-60 gallons? If they make the big ones, I've never
seen them. If I had to stuff leaves in the grocery store size
bags, I think I'd have to find another line of work. My smallest
leaf job ever involved two trips with a dump truck.

GLS
11-15-2001, 05:36 PM
I don't think anybody would use grocery store bags! Most stores should sell the large paper bags for grass/sticks etc. Wal-mart, hardware stores etc.

bobbygedd
11-15-2001, 08:38 PM
there are 3 places down by me(east brunswick) where u can pay to dispose of leaves/grass/brush, its very cheap. stuffing leaves into those little paper bags is too time consuming. we make money on the cleanup, and disposal.

Doogiegh
11-16-2001, 12:24 AM
The paper bags for recycling leaves that I'm talking about are probably around 30-35 gallon size, like a trash can. Each one opens up to be about... hmm.. 20 inches across by 12 inches wide.. and they are about... 3.5 to 4 feet tall when standing up.. So take your usual grocery paper bag and super size it by about 10 times.. <G> These bags go for $.40 each or 5/$2.00 around here, I was just wondering if anyone has a supplier who has them in "bulk" lots of say 100 or 200 at a clip. That's all, many thanks.

casey
11-16-2001, 12:41 AM
We have to use the same bags you are talking about. When the city swiched from plastic to mandatory paper I stopped bagging. Those bags are expensive & difficult to fill. You have to find an alternate solution (mulching, off-site disposal) or your production & expenses will suffer.

bruces
11-16-2001, 12:48 AM
Home Depot, Lowes, & Walmart have them cheaper.

You can also get a plastic liner / funnel that goes inside the bag, holds it up and makes it easier to fill. Not to bad if you don't have a lot to bag.