PDA

View Full Version : New Kawasaki FJ180V 6HP should I get the oil filter kit?

Exact Rototilling
01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
I just bought a new Kawi powered 21" trim mower and it has an access plate for an optional Kawi spin on filter. How much life will I really add to the mower by adding an oil filter kit to it?

What would you do? :waving:

Exact Rototilling
01-30-2008, 07:35 PM
BUMP

Filter vs. no filter?
:usflag:

Restrorob
01-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Extended oil change interval for mowers, tillers etc. is not a good idea.

It depends on how often you do change your oil ?

We change oil in our smaller rental equipment every 50 hrs. so I wouldn't spend the money for a filter kit on them.

Just think about how many engines are on the market that doesn't have this option and with proper maintenance actually out live their projected life span.

lifetree
01-30-2008, 09:06 PM
I think it would be worth having a filter if you could be using it on hills or slopes !! If so, full pressure for the engine would certainly be a benefit.

Happy Frog
01-30-2008, 09:09 PM
It would allow you to change oil every 50 hrs instead of 25 hrs and will reduce engine wear by at least 25%

lifetree
01-30-2008, 09:14 PM
It would allow you to change oil every 50 hrs instead of 25 hrs and will reduce engine wear by at least 25%

2 more good reasons to do it !!

Restrorob
01-30-2008, 10:53 PM
I think it would be worth having a filter if you could be using it on hills or slopes !! If so, full pressure for the engine would certainly be a benefit.

All FJ180V's have full pressure lube oil filter or no oil filter.

Hmmm, Here is the recommended oil change interval;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FJ/FJ180MaintenanceChart.jpg

Changing at 50 hrs. is half the recommended......

Exact Rototilling
01-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Mowers, tillers etc. run the greatest risk to contamination in the oil from crud getting knocked into the dip stick holder. I'm a total clean freak about keeping mine clean. I go nuts with ritual wiping, WD40 on Q-tip etc. The other area is crud getting past the air filter. Again I'm a clean-room nut about getting the best possible seal. I use the motorcycle super tacky stuff on foam filters etc.

I also change my oil well under 50 hour mark. And I also flush my tillers and mowers with cheapie dino oil of any flavor and run for a few minutes to get the extra junk out.

Will I benefit from a spin on filter? Yes - but it's tough to say by how much. I also add magnets to the out side of the oil filter with a dab of silicone to help trap any ferrous metal debris. Yes I also have an oil filter cutter.

Looks like I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to check on the price of it.

Happy Frog
01-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Even better!
Change oil every 200 hrs! (gotta love those filters...)
I should have looked at the manual though...

mowermankevin
01-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Here's my 2cents, I've never seen so many different problems with one style engine, so forget adding an oil filter, keep what ya got clean and I guarantee the top of the motor case will start leaking oil first

lifetree
01-31-2008, 08:17 PM
All FJ180V's have full pressure lube oil filter or no oil filter ...

That's not entirely correct ... I have previously spoken with Tech Support at Kawasaki and they said that without an oil filter it is not full pressure; that it is pressurized , however, the oil pump "sprays" the lubricant (i.e.-the oil) instead of the old style "splash" type of lubrication. In other words, it is like "half pressure", if you will.

Now, having said that, I have researched whether the FJ180V engine on my Billy Goat 24" mower could be upgraded to have an oil filter ... when you look at the parts list for the AS-24 model engine (which is mine) vs. one of the oil filter engines (the AS-09 or the AS-15) you will see a different part number for the "rotor pump". This would suggest that you may not be able to upgrade an engine that wasn't built without an oil filter unless you're also willing to breakdown the engine to install a new oil pump.

This information is from my dealer. Keep in mind, however, that they are still checking on this with their technical representative at Kawasaki and I am still waiting to hear back from them with the answer to my question.

lifetree
01-31-2008, 08:28 PM
All FJ180V's have full pressure lube oil filter or no oil filter ...

Restrorob -- I just noticed that you are apparently factory trained on Kawasaki engines ... could you please help me with this research project ?? I also would like to make sure I understand exactly what type of "pressure" this engine has ... please advise !!

Restrorob
01-31-2008, 10:38 PM
OK lifetree,

I've got all my ducks in a row now !

First, Let's look at what Kawasaki calls their oiling system;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FJ/KawFJ180VSpecChart.jpg

Now, Let's take a look at the oil flow chart for this engine;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FJ/KawFJ180VOilFlowChart.jpg

This is a combination pressure and splash lube system. It has a oil pump (inner and outer rotors) that pump the oil under pressure (full pressure) through the lower block and crank up to the top of the block and crank then splashes down onto other moving parts.

Let's take a look at the parts listing for the AS-24 (yours without the filter) and the AS-15 with the oil filter.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FJ/KawiFJ180VOilPumpPartNumbers.jpg

Notice all the part reference numbers in the red boxes for the inner and outer oil pump rotors.

AS-15;

Inner Rotor 16154A

Item Number: 16154-7004
Mfg Code:
Description: ROTOR-PUMP
Price:
MSRP:
Availability:
Qty A C W
Drop-ship: Yes
Notes:
Quantity:

AS15

16154A

Outer Rotor 16154

Item Number: 16154-7002
Mfg Code:
Price:
MSRP:
Availability:
Qty A C W
Notes:
Quantity:
AS15

Now the AS-24 (Your Engine)

Inner Rotor 16154

tem Number: 16154-7004
Mfg Code:
Price:
MSRP:
Availability:
Qty A C W
Notes:
Quantity:

AS24 BS24

Outer Rotor 16154
Item Number: 16154-7002
Mfg Code:
Price:
MSRP:
Availability:
Qty A C W
Notes:
Quantity:

AS24 BS24

As you can see both spec number engines have the same part numbers for both the inner and outer oil pump rotors, Therefore the only difference between the two engines as far as the lubricating system is concerned is one has a filter and one doesn't.

:waving:

lifetree
02-01-2008, 09:42 PM
OK lifetree,

I've got all my ducks in a row now !

This is a combination pressure and splash lube system. It has a oil pump (inner and outer rotors) that pump the oil under pressure (full pressure) through the lower block and crank up to the top of the block and crank then splashes down onto other moving parts.

As you can see both spec number engines have the same part numbers for both the inner and outer oil pump rotors, Therefore the only difference between the two engines as far as the lubricating system is concerned is one has a filter and one doesn't.

:waving:

Restrorob -- Thank you for the detailed information ... so then, the way I'm understanding your explanation is that even with an oil filter on the engine it will not be "full pressure", per se ... because it "splashes" down on to other moving parts from the top of the crank shaft !! Is this correct ??

khutch
02-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Can we set up a PayPal account for RestroRob?
What an asset to this board!!!

On the subject of oil filters, do I remember some Kaw engines recommending filter changes every other oil change?
And if that is correct, what is the theory behind that?

Restrorob
02-02-2008, 09:45 AM
That is correct,

The only thing the oil filter adapter will do is bypass the oil flow through it and into the filter then back into the flow sequence. It will have no changing effect on the way the oil lubricates moving parts other than filtering the oil.

Pressure feed by positive displacement pump

Technically, This engine could be considered to have a full pressure lube system. It does have a oil pump that does pump the oil at "full pressure" through the engine.

Example;

Take a older small block Chevy engine, It is considered a full pressure lube system.

But,
The distributor/fuel pump/timing chain and gears/camshaft, pushrods and rockers/pistons,wristpins and rings are all splash lubricated.

Restrorob
02-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Can we set up a PayPal account for RestroRob?

Well, I already have one but that would then make it a job and take the pleasure out of helping. :)

do I remember some Kaw engines recommending filter changes every other oil change?
And if that is correct, what is the theory behind that?

From the Periodic Maintenance Chart;

The Periodic Maintenance Chart below shows periodic inspection and maintenance items and suitable intervals.

The key word is "suitable" instead of recommend.

In other words, If one chooses not to change the filter at 100 hrs. it is not suitable to exceed 200 hrs before doing so.

Example;

Leave in the morning for work, Come home after a long day and take a shower but put the same dirty underwear back on. Go to work the following day then come home and take a shower, It would not be suitable to put the same dirty underwear back on. ;) :laugh:

IMO,
I would never change oil in anything I own without changing the filter as well. I just don't like the thought of my new clean oil going through a less than clean filter, And in some cases the filter traps old oil that will contaminate the new.

Alan0354
07-05-2009, 04:47 AM
I have been looking at 21" mowers. The two main engines used in commercial mowers are FJ180v KAI and Honda GXV160.

I read a few about FJ180 seized up. Is FJ180 inferior than GXV160? Can you tell me a little about the reliability and longivity of the FJ180v?

Thanks

ed2hess
07-05-2009, 06:27 PM
I have been looking at 21" mowers. The two main engines used in commercial mowers are FJ180v KAI and Honda GXV160.

I read a few about FJ180 seized up. Is FJ180 inferior than GXV160? Can you tell me a little about the reliability and longivity of the FJ180v?

Thanks

Don't know about engine life yet....we have two the FJ180v engines on Snapper and thier recoil starter mechanism is not very sturdy. I would call it junk .....it is a downsized version of the kind they have used for years and isn't beefey enough.

360ci
11-15-2009, 04:48 PM
I'd spend the extra bucks and add the filter. If I was looking for a used unit, I'd want the filter to be on there for added piece of mind. The engines aren't all that complex to necessitate an oil filter, but again, if the option is available, I'd add it. I know I wouldn't think about changing the oil on my truck and not installing a filter but rather throw on a bypass valve - you'd only be asking for problems.

If you run synthetic oil, using a filter will benefit as well as the oil will stay cleaner, longer. Less maintenance means less downtime and greater profit.