PDA

View Full Version : Question on grass mold

Down2EarthLawns
01-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Anybody know what this could be? A friend of mine in Tennessee has this growing around her house. How can it be treated other than roundup? Any help would be greatly appreciated.98386

nik
01-29-2008, 08:46 PM
There are a number of homeowner use product for moss control. There's one they sell here called Moss Out for Lawns. Don't get the one just for roofs, it will do bad things to the lawns, and bushes, and so on.

RigglePLC
01-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Carfentrazone (Quicksilver) is registered for certain types of moss. Expensive, though.

You might try Speedzone which in addition to weed killer also contains a few percent of carfentrazone.

rcreech
01-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Carfentrazone (Quicksilver) is registered for certain types of moss. Expensive, though.

You might try Speedzone which in addition to weed killer also contains a few percent of carfentrazone.

That is exactly what I was going to recommend!

Quicksilver isn't all that expensive really considering it is a speciality product! Going at 1 oz/acre is only about $15/acre. That isn't bad really!

When I priced it last year it was cheaper to go with a Three Way and spike it with QS vs buying Speedzone.

RigglePLC
01-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh! And I think Lesco JDL also sells "Junction" --two ingredients for moss. Older product in a new combination. No guarantee. Moss needs shade--reduce shade to reduce moss. Also moss does not do well in heat or dryness--usually fades out in summer.

There are a couple of consumer products available at garden stores--mostly based on strong soap solutions, copper sulfate or iron sulfate. I am skeptical but the cost is low.

fertguy2008
01-31-2008, 02:03 PM
LESCO JDL also sells "Terracyte" it kills moss and acts as a fungicide as well.

Frank Fescue
02-01-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm a huge fan of using Quicksilver mixed for broadleaf. But I didn't know it was labeled for moss control. Are there certain restrictions on it? I'll recheck the label but I don't remember seeing it labeled for moss control. Would have saved me a headache or two!

RigglePLC
02-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Not on my sample label--but it is new idea. Here is a link:
http://turfgrassmanagement.psu.edu/chemicalcontrolmoss.cfm

lawnpro724
02-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Change the PH of the soil.