PDA

View Full Version : buy back program

Mike M
01-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Anyone ever try marketing a buy back program?

I was unable to vocalize any kind of mere utterance while staring at two interamattic malibu transformers yesterday. The guy wanted me to save his pre-existing system while I add some new stuff. He was adamment about not wasting his prior so-called investment.

Driving home I figured it out: offer to buy it from him, throw it in the garbage, and start fresh. Ford does it with used cars.

All I have to do is match the price with the price at home depot. What, a couple hundred max? I could advertise the program. "Solar lights and Malibu system buy back program (up to 250 dollars)."

Arthur P.
for Mike M

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-30-2008, 02:46 AM
Hey Mike, I will give you this. That idea of yours is nothing if it is not innovative.

Just be careful of a couple things. Do not get caught racing to the bottom of the market. It may seem attractive, or lucrative in the short run, but people will always remember you by reputation.

Also, depending on your market, it could be just the type of thing to kick start some long and loyal clients. Do it right and they will probably call you.

keep me in the loop....

Pro-Scapes
01-30-2008, 06:14 AM
i think it is a waste of time. Maybe offer free recycling but if they are remotley happy with their investment in a malibu system or worried about the 80 bucks they paid for 50 solar lights then chances are they are not your client.

Did you prequalify your client ? Do they have a clue as to what the cost diff is between malibu and you ? Incorperating his system or worrying about some big box stuff would be a tremendous injustice to both you and your client. I would be rather insulted at the mere sugggestion that I reuse or add on to this type of lighting.

Market mike.... dont use gimmicks.

Mike M
01-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Billy, lots of upscalers don't like the feeling of failure attributed to a single dollar they had invested. You guys are right about attracting the wrong clientele, but the name Intermattic or Malibu means nothing to them. I just found another job where some bonehead with a successful trade (not lighting) was paid to do an install, and they went to Home Depot. The customer was wealthier than Dick Cheney. They also had currently burning lamps and a desire for wealth preservation. So I figure, what the heck, why let a hundred dollars be a barrier to a consultation with a prospect?

I suppose it all depends on the language we use. Something like "If you are presently unsatisfied with the performance of your Intermattic or Malibu system, you are not alone. I will offer up to a hundred dollars back for the transformers and save you a trip to the Home Depot return counter, and provide you with a professionally designed and installed lighting system. All solar lights, 20 dollars each up to (6), intermattic transformers, up to 100 each. Please don't throw them off a dock, our county is very proud about preserving the high quality of our waters."

Wait, this is better, if you have an opportunity for a lot of copy:

Top three uses for your solar lights:

Security: Wave one in front of intruders.
Safety: Shine a bright flash light on them so visitors can see your walkways.
Beauty: Move them over to your neighbor's house to make your home look good in contrast.

How to know if your current system needs some changes:

1. It doesn't work.
2. Nobody can look you in the eyes when they say: "I really like your lights."
3. The word "Intermattic" is written on your transformer.
4. You are actually about to run outside to check for number 3.
5. Lights are aimed at passers by (bright glare is the first thing noticed in a bad design).
6. You had any electrician or landscaper do the job without regard to their illimination credentials or seeing another project they designed and installed.

Arther P.
for Mike M

Pro-Scapes
01-30-2008, 11:42 AM
If the client is willing to part with their cheapy system for so cheap they are unhappy with it already. Chances are 100 wouldnt stand in the way. Dont position yourself as someone who works with that stuff or associates with it.

Mike why dont you just demo it... turn theirs off and yours on then switch em. let them see the difference. Educate them

JoeyD
01-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Once the client sees what you have to install they are going to know right away they made a huge mistake with their home cheapo stuff. Chances are if they have had that stuff in for some time they are already unhappy. I encourage customers looking for new buisness to target people with existing lighting systems, most of them are poor and the homeowners know it.

irrig8r
01-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Top three uses for your solar lights:

Security: Wave one in front of intruders.
Safety: Shine a bright flash light on them so visitors can see your walkways.
Beauty: Move them over to your neighbor's house to make your home look good in contrast.

How to know if your current system needs some changes:

1. It doesn't work.
2. Nobody can look you in the eyes when they say: "I really like your lights."
3. The word "Intermattic" is written on your transformer.
4. You are actually about to run outside to check for number 3.
5. Lights are aimed at passers by (bright glare is the first thing noticed in a bad design).
6. You had any electrician or landscaper do the job without regard to their illimination credentials or seeing another project they designed and installed.

Arther P.
for Mike M

I don't know if Mike is better at marketing or writing comedy. I could see you with the deadpan delivery of say.. maybe Albert Brooks...

Mike, maybe you should approach the AOLP before next year's convention and they can do a version of Last Comic Standing...

NightScenes
01-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Between Mike and Sean we'd be set for entertainment!!:laugh:

Pro-Scapes
01-30-2008, 12:42 PM
just make sure you prequalify and prequalify well. The price difference in "kits" and your custom designed systems is staggering however it is the better value.

"sir, have you ever once regretted spending more on something of quality" ?

JoeyD
01-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Holy Crap I would pay to see Sean and Mike performing mock lighting sales situations in comedy. throw a little of Nate in their and you got a night of belly cramping laughter. Hung like a baby...............Sean LOL

NightScenes
01-30-2008, 12:53 PM
No Joey, it's "hung like a fruit bat"!!:laugh:

JoeyD
01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
LOL:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mike M
01-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Albert Brooks...

Greg, did you see Albert Brooks' "Defending my Life"? That's me.

irrig8r
01-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Yes I did. "Looking For Comedy In The Muslim World" was funny too.

SamIV
01-30-2008, 09:47 PM
I can see this as something that I might try. I am going to try my first mailing pretty soon as things have been pretty slow for me. I haven't even started on the card yet though. I also need to come up with a descent logo.

Lighting in my area is a fairly tough sell at times. Had a buddy of mine try a franchise locally and bombed. I used to own a landscaping business and always had a nice client base. Had enough to motivate into lighting to keep me busy, but that list has dried up as I sold that part of the business a year and a half ago. Now I need to drum up more clients.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting