PDA

View Full Version : Lighting in soffits

Ocutter73
01-30-2008, 09:40 AM
I saw some pics where low volt lites were in soffits. Does anyone have the brand, model #, or more info on them. Any install advice would be helpful too.

irrig8r
01-30-2008, 10:28 AM
This Soffitliter uses a SCB lamp. Other people have posted with fixtures that use MR-16s.

http://www.nightscaping.com/pdfs/soffitliter_rd0404.pdf

Another solution for some is the Gambinoliter. It is a surface mount, angled to shroud the lamp a little. It uses a G-4 bi-pin.

http://www.nightscaping.com/pdfs/gambino_wm0403.pdf

clevliteguy
01-30-2008, 11:27 AM
We have contractors who are using the Kichler LED's in soffits. Small & discreet.

Pro-Scapes
01-30-2008, 11:33 AM
are you licensed in jersey to do lighting ? You realize this does require you to have one right ?

http://www.aolponline.org/Resources/State_Results.asp?State=New Jersey

other than that I am installing some light o lier 2000lvr's which is a recessed retrofit fixture. It all depends on the sofits and if you have room. Sofit mounting if done wrong can be a terrible thing. There is a job here installed by an electrician and when started it lights the house alright but also glares everyone within a quartermile.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Although "jones-ing" might be good for the bottom line, I generally try to dissuade my clients from 'soffit lighting' in general.

The new home developers in and around the GTA have gone insane with this 'technique', selling it as an upgrade and telling people that their home will have that 'custom lighting' look. Nothing looks worse in my opinion... its all the same, all too bright, creates glare and light trespass... on and on.

Look in your market for a professional outdoor lighting design company and then hire them for a consultation.

Regards.

JoeyD
01-30-2008, 04:38 PM
We have contractors who are using the Kichler LED's in soffits. Small & discreet.

Are you a distributor or manufaturer Clevilite?

Just curious.

Pro-Scapes
01-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Although "jones-ing" might be good for the bottom line, I generally try to dissuade my clients from 'soffit lighting' in general.

The new home developers in and around the GTA have gone insane with this 'technique', selling it as an upgrade and telling people that their home will have that 'custom lighting' look. Nothing looks worse in my opinion... its all the same, all too bright, creates glare and light trespass... on and on.

Look in your market for a professional outdoor lighting design company and then hire them for a consultation.

Regards.

when designed properly and placed properly in the right locations they can be a very useful tool. The ones we are doing are above some colonial style pillars and uplighting was not really an option. This will also serve to light the steps as well. Placed right soffit light can be a really great tool. Placed wrong or with the wrong fixture its a mess. I would never do anything that was not adjustable