PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading 1/2 ton suspension??

PlatinumLandCon
01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi Guys,
My chevy's suspension is quite worn out and in need of replacement. With only 1000lbs in the bed the suspension sags pretty badly. What I wanted to know is can I upgrade the leaf springs to the 3/4 ton ones?? Will they bolt on?

My truck has all the same drivetrain the 3/4 ton would have (6.2 diesel, 700R4 trans newly rebuilt) so thats not what I'm concerned about. I'll also need to replace the shocks all around.

Thanks.

NBI Lawn
01-30-2008, 01:13 PM
I think the leafs are wider on 3/4 and 1 tons :confused: could be wrong but that would be a first :dizzy:

I had a 1/2 ton that I just added a leaf to it and it was fine. Helped out a ton.

mag360
01-30-2008, 06:47 PM
You can add a leaf or two to the current spring pack or add airbags. Even timbrens would be an option to stop sag. Years ago I added one leaf in the rear of a dodge 1500 and it lifted the back about three inches and would hold 2000# in the bed without showing it. Cost about $100 (I did the work myself)

blind04
01-30-2008, 06:59 PM
i have a chevy half ton and i just added load stabilizing leaves to it. made all the difference in the wold. works great rides great, no sag under load.

lawn king
01-30-2008, 09:26 PM
You can beef up the springs,suspension,etc. Keep in mind its still a half ton rear end?

PlatinumLandCon
01-30-2008, 10:03 PM
How would I go about adding a leaf? I'm going to change the shocks ASAP since they're the factory ones still (18 years, 150k+ miles).

Gravel Rat
01-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Buy new springs DONOT add new springs to a old spring pack your only asking for troubles.

Here is a spring shop webpage look at the Chevy section.

www.stengelbros.com/HeavyDutyLeafSprings.htm

zMaster225
01-31-2008, 01:32 AM
Since when has a Maserati been a muscle car?? Ha

DOLMARatOS
01-31-2008, 01:54 AM
First I would highly recomend replacing your current weak springs. Lots of places to buy standard and HD rear springs for every vehicle imaginable.

If you are looking to upgrade your springs, I would recomend the Roadmaster suspension system. I have installed dozens for these and they are the best single item I have found for improving your rear suspension performance.

Acts as helper springs, traction bars, sway bars and overload springs. Never overload your rear axle weight rating but the Roadmaster lets you "take it to the limit" without fear of dangerous handling and bottoming out.

PlatinumLandCon
01-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Since when has a Maserati been a muscle car?? Ha

LOL thats my uncle's car:drinkup:

zMaster225
01-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Well, your uncle should know that he has a picture of his exact car in automobilemag.com.. Careful of the paparazzi up north of the border!

I'm just messin with ya

mag360
01-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Buy new springs DONOT add new springs to a old spring pack your only asking for troubles.

Here is a spring shop webpage look at the Chevy section.

www.stengelbros.com/HeavyDutyLeafSprings.htm

Don't let him scare you.

Gravel Rat
01-31-2008, 03:54 PM
I'am not scaring anybody it is common sense. You have weak leafs in a pack they will break especially the main leaf. If you want to replace the springs replace them as one pack. Springs are cheap and by the time you replace the U bolts and center bolt you might aswell take out the old springs and replace them with new ones.

I have been pulling wrenches for 16 years from P/U trucks to gravel trucks if your going to do a job do it right.

PlatinumLandCon
01-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Well, your uncle should know that he has a picture of his exact car in automobilemag.com.. Careful of the paparazzi up north of the border!

I'm just messin with ya

Haha thats not a pic of his exact car. His is the same color though. That's just a pic off the internet:waving:

mag360
02-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I'am not scaring anybody it is common sense. You have weak leafs in a pack they will break especially the main leaf. If you want to replace the springs replace them as one pack. Springs are cheap and by the time you replace the U bolts and center bolt you might aswell take out the old springs and replace them with new ones.

I have been pulling wrenches for 16 years from P/U trucks to gravel trucks if your going to do a job do it right.

I know you have accumulated alot of knowledge of the trucking industry.
Sometimes you push the little guy pretty hard.

Now imagine me telling you that you are asking for trouble buying a 6.0 ford because its common sense that your motor is the weak spring in the pack---am I starting to sound like travlintrees the crazy chevy guy. :drinkup:
(I do know that you made an informed decision to take a chance on that truck based on price and availability and it has worked well for you)

PlatinumLandCon
02-01-2008, 10:13 PM
What I think I will ultimately do is change the shocks and add-a-leaf. I will only have this truck for a year or so. I don't think its worth swapping the whole spring pack.

Jerry Lee
02-01-2008, 10:27 PM
i went to a junk yard not to long ago looking for a 3/4 ton rearend for my earlier model truck it's a 95 GMC and he said the 3/4 ton leafs and rearend fit right up bolting pattern and all. but he could be wrong:confused:. i would just get a leaf or to fabed up for it at a leaf shop, or take a look at helper springs at hellwigproducts.com as for shocks id go for gas shocks. something like procomp. you can find all of this at summitracing.com