PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Questions???

garlar55
01-30-2008, 01:18 PM
I have an opportinity to bid on four branches of a bank here in my town. They want mowing, trimming shrubs, and mulching. The mulching is what I am having a little trouble estimating. The mulch itself is selling for 25-30 dollars per CY. The beds and trees already have some mulch around them, so do you think 1 inch, 2 inches thick or what. I will have to get the mulch in my truck, transport in to each branch, then use the old wheelbarrow and shovel to distribute it to the beds and trees as I won't be able to drive on the lawn. I have figured how much mulch is needed, but how much time would be needed to spread it? I am working solo. I guess if I knew about how long it takes to spread a CY of mulch using the method I described above would help. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

SpruceLandscape
01-30-2008, 03:44 PM
depends on what kind of mulch you are going to use and what kind you are going over. Do you need to rake anything out of the beds, or are you simply throwing mulch over the old stuff. Triple shred will spread a lot farther than double, so you have to take that into consideration too. I typically double my material cost on mulch, then add in for the extras like bed edging, weeding, pruning/trimming, snapshot, etc. Have you considered having the mulch dumped onto the property and working that way so that you save time driving back and forth to your supplier? Think about hiring a hand or two to simply run loads of mulch back and forth so that you don't have to stop and run back to the truck or pile every time you're empty. Time is money when it comes to spreading mulch!

four seasons property
01-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I usually price my work using one yard per hour. This only includes moving the mulch, edging the beds is extra

shiveslandcsaping
01-30-2008, 06:09 PM
What is the square footage of the beds? If it already has mulch and just needs a light coat you can get away with just adding 2". If it is very much mulch then you will come out better having it hauled if you dont have a decent size truck.

LB1234
01-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Most of the times if you figure for 1 man-hour per cubic yard of mulch spread you will make good $$$$. We get anywhere between 60 up to 80 per yard on mulch...depending on certain conditions. Our double shred HW went up to something like 18 bucks this year. But we still net a minimum of 40 on it. We have a dingo that helps spread mulch much much quicker. Me, my partner, the machine, and 2-3 wheelbarrels can get about a cubic yard done in 20 minutes really humping it.

FYI, we charge edging by the lineal foot ($0.50). We try and line everything up then rent a bed edger for a day and follow up the next few with the mulch. Works REALLY well.

I'm really curious how much mulch you determined between 3 and 4 branches. Assuming 5 yards per branch that's probablly 3 trips in the back of a pickup, just for one branch...awful lot of windshield time. Assuming 20 minutes to supplier, 20 minutes back to bank, another 10 or so loading..you are looking at an hours labor just to deliver two yards of mulch. Being solo...probablly around an hour per yard...depending how much distance between pickup and beds. Then you have to factor in getting all the mulch out of the pickup bed when it gets stuck by the wheel wells and the like. Big PITA. Hey, its how we started though.

Thought....can you have the mulch delivered to the bank and take up a parking space or two? How about working on a Sunday and getting two banks done every sunday when they are closed....or one after they close on a Saturday. I dunno:dizzy:

SpruceLandscape
01-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Thought....can you have the mulch delivered to the bank and take up a parking space or two? How about working on a Sunday and getting two banks done every sunday when they are closed....or one after they close on a Saturday. I dunno:dizzy:

This is exactly the same thing I was trying to say. You will be WAY more ahead by spending the extra $20/truck load delivery to have them dump 5 or so yards at each bank (assuming thats approx. how much each one takes) in a back parking lot space somewhere and working out of it like that. Even if you pay a buddy of yours $12/hour cash to just run you wheelbarrels to each part of the job, will make a HUGE difference!

SpruceLandscape
01-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Depending on how much mulch you project to spread throughout the year, it would be a wise investment to buy a dump insert at the least, or, if you can swing it and have a place to store it, a 12-14' dump trailer!. Then you can haul as much mulch as you are willing to tow with your truck. doesn't matter if you have too much because you can just pull it to the next job and work right out of the trailer/dump insert. go home when you are ready too if the job won't be finished in the same day and won't have to worry about there being material in the middle of the parking lot come the next business day.