PDA

View Full Version : Grubs need help!

landgator
01-30-2008, 08:17 PM
I need help with Grubs? I live in Coastal North Carolina, I have a customer who has a mole problem. The turf is centipede. Should I use Merit to get rid of the grubs or is it too late? Any help would be appreciated. What do people charge to put Merit down. I can get a 30lb bag of Merit for $95.00. Any ideas of what I should charge?

SILVERSTREAK INC
01-30-2008, 08:59 PM
hunh thats expensive, the marked up rate up here is 63 per bag of merit with 4 bags per acre.

im not from north carolina but...

merit should be put down somewhere between may and the 2nd week of june in my southeast pa area. anything later would be useless and need a post pest such as dylox (apply after dead spots appear in july/august) which actually is cheaper 41.85 per bag and 4.5 bags acre for controlling jap beetle grubs

i guess it depends on what state of growth these are in, larvae? some other products which may be more cost effective are

mach 2 1.33%
allectus .225

landgator
01-30-2008, 09:03 PM
So it wouldn't do me any good to put anything down now? Any ideas how to get rid of the moles?

RigglePLC
01-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Landgator,
Best way is to slide a rattlesnake down the hole. This method has been losing popularity of late. Be sure to say , "Watch This!" and get someone to take pictures.

Around here we have had excellent results with Talparid bait. See threads above. Or search Talparid. Or maybe spell it Talpirid.

crazy4green
01-31-2008, 11:29 AM
If there are moles does not mean there are grubs. Grubs don't draw moles in lawn. Moles main food source is earth worms. So unless you see grub activity or grub damage I personaly would not put merrit or dylox down. We have had good results with Talparid bait. I don't know if this works for sure but homeowners have said they have good results with something called liquid fence and I have heard also sticks of gum. Don't ask me remember this is what homeowners have stated. These are just other methods I have heard and pass on to customers that don't have or don't like spending the money for someone like us to treat these for them.

Ric
01-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Landgator,
Best way is to slide a rattlesnake down the hole. This method has been losing popularity of late. Be sure to say , "Watch This!" and get someone to take pictures.

Around here we have had excellent results with Talparid bait. See threads above. Or search Talparid. Or maybe spell it Talpirid.

Riggle

The Rattlesnake treatment is a new one for me, but I guess it would work. Rattlesnakes are on the decline in Fire Ant Country because the Fire Ants eat their eggs.

Grub Control this time of year in the northern hemisphere would be a total waste. Grubs are overwintering and very deep right now.

fertguy2008
01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Try the Talparid for now. When it warms up a bit, Spray or spread some Dylox and watch the bugs come crawling our of the ground.