PDA

View Full Version : Foam Kit or Dye in spray?

420deere
01-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Just getting started, and need input on how to tell where I have sprayed.

I have used Dye several times, but the cost is almost as much as the product. I am currently using a "Ride-On" which is a small lawn tractor with tank on back and boom on front.

Thanks,

420 Deere

rcreech
01-30-2008, 10:24 PM

I have used Dye several times, but the cost is almost as much as the product. I am currently using a "Ride-On" which is a small lawn tractor with tank on back and boom on front.

Thanks,

420 Deere

I have tried dye...and never had any luck with it on lawns!

I like using it on gravel driveways, but that is about it.

Like you said...the price of dye isn't cheap.

My advice....take that money and invest in a good foamer! You can always see foam!

steve's total lawn care
01-30-2008, 11:12 PM
We use dye on all of our lawns shows up good on turf we pay 36.00 bucks for a gallon for it i have a foamer connected to our 100 gallon skid boom sprayer and the foam works great for that but most of our lawns are sprayed from our trailer rig with a gun and hose setup so then we use the dye and the dye goes a long ways 1 gallon will do approx 400 gallons but you can make the money in just spraying 1 small yard. since you have a ride on unit its really to small for a setup for a foam system you really need a big rig if you do that which we have one also on a trailer with a 500 gallon tank and a 40ft boom with a foam system mounted on the trailer we spray golf course fairways with this setup. anyways i would go with the dye and if you can get it for the price of 36 bucks thats cheap compared to some of the other prices i have seen for diffrent brands.

rcreech
01-30-2008, 11:24 PM
We use dye on all of our lawns shows up good on turf we pay 36.00 bucks for a gallon for it i have a foamer connected to our 100 gallon skid boom sprayer and the foam works great for that but most of our lawns are sprayed from our trailer rig with a gun and hose setup so then we use the dye and the dye goes a long ways 1 gallon will do approx 400 gallons but you can make the money in just spraying 1 small yard. since you have a ride on unit its really to small for a setup for a foam system you really need a big rig if you do that which we have one also on a trailer with a 500 gallon tank and a 40ft boom with a foam system mounted on the trailer we spray golf course fairways with this setup. anyways i would go with the dye and if you can get it for the price of 36 bucks thats cheap compared to some of the other prices i have seen for diffrent brands.

Love your Avatar!

Big fan of Napoleon!

You are getting a good deal on you dye. I think I paid something like $24.00 for a quart!

You say you need a "big rig" for foamers...but you really don't.

I use a Richway foamer 4401 on a 15ft boom sprayer but can use it on anything. It has a double pump (left and right) foamer just like on your big boom sprayer. Only cost me about $240. Money well spent!

http://www.richway.com/turftracker.pdf

FdLLawnMan
01-30-2008, 11:56 PM
I agree with Rodney on this one. I also use a foam marker from Richway. My boom sprayer only sprays 12 feet at a time but it fits well on it. It is the one pump model which works well for me.

420deere
01-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the information, I'm leaning towards the foam and since I have done the song and dance to get all the certifications why not go first class.

Thanks,

420 Deere

DUSTYCEDAR
01-31-2008, 10:10 PM
i never liked the dye toooooooo messy

Hogjaw
01-31-2008, 10:29 PM

Thanks,

420 Deere

We've used the dye now for probably5 to 6 years, but only in late fall and early spring applications. It's great for bed areas year around.

Just wear gloves when mixing. Recently bought 3 gals @ about 57 each. Use 17 to 20 oz in a 200 gal tank.

Never have used the foam.......but it seems that is good also.

greenman099
01-31-2008, 10:42 PM
There shouldn't be much to it if rain washes it away. Does the label tell you what kind of dye it is? Seems like everything that you buy from the big suppliers for turf is so expensive, I'm always looking for alternatives.