PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of moles?

landgator
01-30-2008, 10:04 PM
How do you get rid of moles?

Barefoot James
01-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Rcreech from Ohio - such great info I copied and pasted from another thread.

I offer this as a service to my customers and it has been a very good add on to my current business.

I don't do a ton of these, but have done about 80 from Aug 06 to Oct 07.

After I used Talparid on my first 10 lawns, I seen how good it worked so guaranteed my service 100% to help sell it.

I use a 3 step progarm

First Step - Look at lawn to see where the mole(s) are active and put holes in all tunnels (putting even several holes in all tunnels). I also spray paint a little line beside the hole.

Second Step - Go back and check the holes and see which holes have been filled. Where holes have been filled, I bait. It takes a while, but you can eventually tell if there if there is one or more moles and I bait accordingly.

I very rarely use more then 10 worms on a visit. Usually I can get by with 2 or 3 if only one mole.

Third Step - Follow-up to see if the bait was taken. If the bait was taken...then they are toast!

I love this service! I have a lot of fun with it and it ain't bad money! I usually charge about $120 for this service, but I have a very tight area I cover or I would have to charge more.

summitlawncare
01-30-2008, 10:17 PM
try talpirid. can be purchased at lesco or estes. best stuff you can buy, bottom line... its about $75 per box, for that you get 20 pack of bait

rcreech
01-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks Barefoot!

You just saved me from having to type! :)

landgator
01-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Thank you, Now what do you do with it?

PSUTURFGEEK
01-31-2008, 12:14 AM
When applying Talpirid, you should first try to find the main travel routes, you don't have to but it will save you gummi worms in the end, I also would not reccomend splitting the worms, when inserting them try to use something other than your hands, I made a device out of a coat hanger to get it into the paths, this works good and keeps human scent from contaminating the worms.

Barefoot James
01-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Moles only bite behind the heart of the worm (the raised part or hump) if their is no hump they will not bite.

wooley99
01-31-2008, 02:25 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread but after following RCreech's instructions I jammed some of the little gummies into tunnels in my front yard. I've read the box twice and I have a question; How long are the little buggers poisonous for? If a mole doesn't get it and it stays there, for how long do I have to worry about a dog digging it up???

The directions say wear gloves, I did. Do you also need a coat hanger to keep scent off?

rcreech
01-31-2008, 08:20 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread but after following RCreech's instructions I jammed some of the little gummies into tunnels in my front yard. I've read the box twice and I have a question; How long are the little buggers poisonous for? If a mole doesn't get it and it stays there, for how long do I have to worry about a dog digging it up???

The directions say wear gloves, I did. Do you also need a coat hanger to keep scent off?

I just use the noncented surgical gloves!

I have a poly poker that I use and I slide the worm in the hole and lay it vertical inside the tunnel. I then "pinch" the tunnel shut and circle it with paint! Doing this will allow you to tell the difference in where you baited and where you didn't.

I started out using golf tees....and figured out that most of the time when I went back the homeowner had mowed and I didn't know where to start looking to see if the bait was gone!

The bait will last for up to 15 or 20 days, but it depends on the weather! It is rains they don't last long at all!

I WOULD NOT tear the worms, as the mole needs to eat the WHOLE worm to get enough AI. Not saying he needs the whole worm, but why take the chance.

The worms are pretty cheap ($1.80 each) so I wouldn't do it!

humble1
01-31-2008, 03:30 PM
How do you get rid of moles?

DYNAMITE is a good prevent

ihateweeds
01-31-2008, 04:04 PM
DANGER DANGER!!!! landgator you might want to find an alternate method. While Talpirid is a GREAT, and I mean GREAT product, IT IS ILLEGAL IN NC TO KILL MOLES!!!!!! Your local LESCO/JDL in NC will not carry this product and suggest other options.

All from experience friend....

landgator
01-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Thank for the info friend. I think I'm going to use Talstar on the grubs. Then use a castor oil product to repell the moles. Is castor oil illegal in NC? I haven't seen anything about it.

RigglePLC
02-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Second choice. Mole Patrol is a good mole bait, if you cannot get Talpirid. Mole Patrol supposedly tastes and smells like grubs. Inexpensive.

Mole traps are very effective also. The Nash Choker-loop mole trap (with two wire nooses) works effectively in our area. My most persistant customer claims to have caught eleven in one season. Sandy soil adjacent to woods. And they are non-toxic. To set them you need strong hands, manual dexterity and steady nerves.

Do you sew? Once you have caught two, you can make real nice earmuffs.

Russ
02-02-2008, 09:42 AM
If your doing mole control you may want to go here
http://www.themoleman.com/

to learn as much about the pest as possible before beginning control work.
Not only does this guy have a successful mole control business, he is recognized by many universities as THE expert on mole behavior.