PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Expectations

eskerlite
01-31-2008, 10:48 AM
What are some goals or things we would like to see happen in our industry this year, Nationwide.
My short list.
1.All states agreeing on the same low voltage lighting licensing or no licensing.
2. A non biased non manufacturer based education institution teaching many aspects of Outdoor Lighting without the College attached. A place for the Lamen.
3.Patent enforcement for our Manufacturers to stop getting ripped off in china and sold here.
4.Being able to sell more Value in my lighting portraits for more profit.
What does Your list look like?
Sean Curran

NightScenes
01-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Damn Sean, you don't want much in a year do you??:laugh:

I would like to see the AOLP take off this year and I think we are fueled up and ready for take off!!
I would like to see more participation in quality education by the major manufactures instead of promoting the 1 day seminars.

JoeyD
01-31-2008, 11:29 AM
This is awesome!!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-31-2008, 01:36 PM
1: Adoption by the Ontario ESA of our technical standards of installation, thereby setting an industry standard.
2: Development of a technical training program that will effectively teach to the installation standards.
3: Acknowledgement and Adoption of the technical training program by the ESA and the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
4: The establishment of a LV outdoor lighting contractor's license here in Ontario.
5: The development and acceptance of a LV outdoor lighting electrical code for inclusion into the CEC.

In that order!

(Not asking for too much am I?)

Regards.

NightScenes
01-31-2008, 01:55 PM
James, what about the next 11 months?:laugh:

eskerlite
02-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Are we the only contractors with expectations? Lets keep this thread going.
Sean C.

seolatlanta
02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Well now that I am on the other side of the counter from you guys , now working for a distributor I have noticed a few things from a different perspective. The main thing that I see is -

1. Going up on your prices even in small increments - from what I see a lot of part timers and hacks are low balling you pros out there. Seperate yourselves from the guys with no volt meter!

2. working on some sort of regulation for installation to avoid said hacks above

3. Guys hiring a PRO or close to it for your photos. 90% of the guys I see do not have one photo or they share the same ones from Kichler and Cast.

4. Be loyal to your distributor. Find one that has an expert in lighting and use him as a resource. I went out with a guy the other night and did a walkthrough with the contractor and bumped the install from 4k to 8k. If you dont have someone at your supply house who cant help you when you need it then find someone who does.

5. More of you join the AOLP - it is only going to get better and we need you to get better. Its only $175 and you get $1000s of dollars worth of coupons so you get it right back.

When I was a contractor I used mainly Unique and Kichler and I bought from Shemin Nurseries as well as Clarolux a lot. I paid a little more there , but I liked my contact there. He would deliver my product , open the store on the weekend for me, I knew his family and we were friends. It was worth it to me.

Disclaimer- If this doesnt apply to you than dont flame me!! Sean asked for our thoughts and these are mine. If your system is working then Great! If we can make it now there will be another boom like a few years ago when people were spending money like water.

JoeyD
02-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Well now that I am on the other side of the counter from you guys , now working for a distributor I have noticed a few things from a different perspective. The main thing that I see is -

1. Going up on your prices even in small increments - from what I see a lot of part timers and hacks are low balling you pros out there. Seperate yourselves from the guys with no volt meter!

2. working on some sort of regulation for installation to avoid said hacks above

3. Guys hiring a PRO or close to it for your photos. 90% of the guys I see do not have one photo or they share the same ones from Kichler and Cast.

4. Be loyal to your distributor. Find one that has an expert in lighting and use him as a resource. I went out with a guy the other night and did a walkthrough with the contractor and bumped the install from 4k to 8k. If you dont have someone at your supply house who cant help you when you need it then find someone who does.

5. More of you join the AOLP - it is only going to get better and we need you to get better. Its only $175 and you get $1000s of dollars worth of coupons so you get it right back.

When I was a contractor I used mainly Unique and Kichler and I bought from Shemin Nurseries as well as Clarolux a lot. I paid a little more there , but I liked my contact there. He would deliver my product , open the store on the weekend for me, I knew his family and we were friends. It was worth it to me.

Disclaimer- If this doesnt apply to you than dont flame me!! Sean asked for our thoughts and these are mine. If your system is working then Great! If we can make it now there will be another boom like a few years ago when people were spending money like water.

All very good points!!

NightScenes
02-16-2008, 12:00 PM
So, what happened to this thread? Expectations for this year??? Anyone??

Pro-Scapes
02-17-2008, 12:19 PM
1 Get closer to God
2 learn to have more faith and become more patient
3 Grow our company and work on regional networking
4 Learn to take life 1 day at a time
5 Triple lighting revenues while cutting back maint

I am not setting a dollar amount for my expectations this year. You only set yourself up for disapointment or stress. If I make my clients happy and felt good about it and provided well for Ashley and I then I met any expectation I could ever have.

Lite4
02-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Ditto what Billy said for me.
I will add, spend more time with my family, and continue to have fun doing my job.

John Pletcher
02-17-2008, 07:04 PM
If you do not have a sales goal, I guess you won,t be challenged to make it. If you use religion as you disclaimer, I guess you won,t be sorry you didn't push yourself harder. You can always blame it on God.

I want my art to be better, bolder, softer, more emotional then ever.

seolatlanta
02-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Wow, thats harsh. You must have missed church today:)

Good for you Billy, cant go wrong with those goals.

John Pletcher
02-17-2008, 08:02 PM
No offense intended. I have a problem with some who wear their religion on a shirt sleeve (present company excluded I'm sure). I don't think anyone is going to feel closer to their religion because someone else said they wanted to be.

Lite4
02-17-2008, 08:34 PM
If you do not have a sales goal, I guess you won,t be challenged to make it. If you use religion as you disclaimer, I guess you won,t be sorry you didn't push yourself harder. You can always blame it on God.

It's okay John. As long as we know where you stand. Everyone has a God, yours is just money.

pete scalia
02-17-2008, 08:57 PM
It's okay John. As long as we know where you stand. Everyone has a God, yours is just money.

I think that was an unnecessary slam of a new member and I'd like to know what the reason is for it. I don't see any slighting of religion or God in that original post.

Lite4
02-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Just reciprocating the slam Pete. He slams my God, I'll slam his.

pete scalia
02-17-2008, 09:16 PM

OUCH........................!!!!!

seolatlanta
02-17-2008, 10:43 PM
John

I was just breaking balls, no offense- I used the smiley face darn it!

Chris J
02-17-2008, 11:32 PM

Amen to that bro. Know God, Know Peace. No God, No Peace! Keep chasing dollars and see where that leads you.

pete scalia
02-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Keep chasing dollars and see where that leads you.

I don't know. In a big house, fancy cars, financial independence, not having to ever worry about working for the man, best schools for the kids, status in the community, being able to give to charitable orgs. that are worthy.

Yeah you are right. On second thought who needs all that.

Chris J
02-17-2008, 11:55 PM
I don't know. In a big house, fancy cars, financial independence, not having to ever worry about working for the man, best schools for the kids, status in the community, being able to give to charitable orgs. that are worthy.

Yeah you are right. On second thought who needs all that.

Those are the finer things in life that some of us are blessed with. Just don't lose sight of the fact that these things can go away in the blink of an eye.
Don't think for a minuite that you are accomplishing all of these great feats on your own.

klkanders
02-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Hey Chris J....my brother from another mother!
I'll say it again....it was greating meeting you in AZ. Hope things are working out for you. Did you have a good time in St. Thomas?

Chris J
02-18-2008, 12:07 AM
The islands were beautiful, and it was wonderful to relax for a week in total peace. I came back refreshed and ready to tackle the world!

pete scalia
02-18-2008, 12:19 AM
The islands were beautiful, and it was wonderful to relax for a week in total peace. I came back refreshed and ready to tackle the world!

I missed you Chris. Glad to have you back where you belong.

Mark B
02-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Talk about messing up a good thread.

Pro-Scapes
02-18-2008, 12:31 AM

My goal is not a monetary goal. Sounds like someone urinated in your corn flakes this morning. I wont be blaming anything on God. If I fall short of my goals this year its one persons fault and 1 only and thats me.

Just because some of us are not worried about making 7 figures doesnt mean our goals are meaningless. Doesnt mean we will be disapointed or not pushing ourselves harder.

When all else fails read the instructions. In lifes case you can find it filed under B for Bible. In all honesty I have yet to find a problem or question about life where there is not an answer within.

klkanders
02-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Let me say I agree with Billy,Tim,Chris,Pete and others on some great expectations.
I dont think Billy was trying to hand out any brochures or convert anyone over to his religious beliefs. He stated what was important to him and I respect that.
I also would like to see more regional Manu and distributor seminars and training delving into more detail. I would love to be able to take the time and shadow more experienced contractors.
Good thread Sean!

Pro-Scapes
02-18-2008, 12:54 AM
No offense intended. I have a problem with some who wear their religion on a shirt sleeve (present company excluded I'm sure). I don't think anyone is going to feel closer to their religion because someone else said they wanted to be.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step

ya know I am thinking about this more and more. I am glad your quick to judge people and have problems with people you do not even know. I can respect your goals of what you would like in 08 but I wish you would respect mine in return.

Ask anyone here than has been on these boards awhile I am VERY passionate about lighting and I am constantly striving for more. I have even ripped out entire installs I did just because I thought I could do it just a little bit better.

Nice to meet ya too John GOD BLESS!

John Pletcher
02-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Tim:

I apologize for giving the impression I was insulting your God. It was not my intention. I was only trying to state that some people use excuses (God being one of them) for not pushing themshelves to do better. I also stated in a later post-(present company excluded).

I respect any religion you have and would not slam your God. I also have my own beliefs.

I know that religion is a sensitive matter and should have known better then to challenge anyone on it. I'm thinking though that this is a professional forum where we do not all have to agree.

Let's all have a great year. Meaning, not just make more money, but do our profession better. That is what this forum is about, yes?

Pro-Scapes
02-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Tim:

I apologize for giving the impression I was insulting your God. It was not my intention. I was only trying to state that some people use excuses (God being one of them) for not pushing themshelves to do better. I also stated in a later post-(present company excluded).

I respect any religion you have and would not slam your God. I also have my own beliefs.

I know that religion is a sensitive matter and should have known better then to challenge anyone on it. I'm thinking though that this is a professional forum where we do not all have to agree.

Let's all have a great year. Meaning, not just make more money, but do our profession better. That is what this forum is about, yes?

No excuses here. If you knew the first thing about me you would probably realize I push harder than anyone here since I am at a severe disadvantage

Lite4
02-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Tim:

Yes, We have some common ground. On this I think we all can agree.
Thanks John

JoeyD
02-18-2008, 03:17 PM
I personally see nothing wrong with wearing religion on your sleeve. I think no matter who you are you should be proud of what you believe and should stand up for it any time it is questioned weather it hurts your business or not. I mean really whats all this hardwork going to do for you once you pass away. Infinity is a long time if you believe in life after death. I say preserve your eternal life before fearing what this one may bring you.

As for goals....My goal is to help grow this industry as best I can through offering un paralleled support to my current, future, and potential customers!

irrig8r
02-18-2008, 04:36 PM
I personally see nothing wrong with wearing religion on your sleeve....

Unless of course you're a follower of the Invisible Pink Unicorn (http://www.invisiblepinkunicorn.com/) or the Flying Spaghetti Monster (http://www.venganza.org/)...

Pro-Scapes
02-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Unless of course you're a follower of the Invisible Pink Unicorn (http://www.invisiblepinkunicorn.com/) or the Flying Spaghetti Monster (http://www.venganza.org/)...

Gregg... I think you have way way wayyyyy to much time on your hands.

JoeyD
02-18-2008, 05:23 PM

Yeah in which case keep that to yourself....I also avoid all chasers of the wrinkle neck trout!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Yeah in which case keep that to yourself....I also avoid all chasers of the wrinkle neck trout!

Is the wrinkle neck trout a "Noble Fish" Joey?

irrig8r
02-19-2008, 12:34 PM
http://www.venganza.org/bookad1small.jpg

irrig8r
02-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Gregg... I think you have way way wayyyyy to much time on your hands.

http://www.venganza.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/carbodiem_poster2_sm.png

Ehhh.... some days, maybe.

JoeyD
02-19-2008, 01:46 PM
there are some wierd people in this world! LOL I took a crap one time and it looked like the Flying Spaghetti Monster? LOL

NightScenes
02-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Gee, thanks for sharing Joey:cry:

JoeyD
02-19-2008, 04:18 PM
LOL.....I'm just saying...maybe the FSM is revealing its powers to me through my crap?

John Pletcher
02-19-2008, 09:10 PM
I just read this whole thread again. Ir started out so well. We need to get back to that beginning.

I encourge all of you to go back to the first few entries.

We need that discipline of telling our distributors to give more then the 1 day seminars that unfortunately don't really teach much. We need to have organiztions like the AOLP that give us all the chance to get together and meet and share ideas. We need the confidence to know what we do is an art and we need to charge well for it. We need those personal convictions that we may all not agree on.

We need to fight with each other over what we said or didn't say just to make the point that we have a passion for what we do. Light is art! Do we as a group to have the desire to prove it?

irrig8r
02-19-2008, 10:39 PM
LOL.....I'm just saying...maybe the FSM is revealing its powers to me through my crap?

You're beginning to sound like a Pastafarian.

Mike M
02-20-2008, 12:50 AM
I think the flying spaghetti monster should be given a chance. The next time I'm eating the body and blood of God, I could be having free pasta and meatballs instead of that flat communion bread.

Lite4
02-20-2008, 01:32 AM
I just read this whole thread again. Ir started out so well. We need to get back to that beginning.

I encourge all of you to go back to the first few entries.

We need that discipline of telling our distributors to give more then the 1 day seminars that unfortunately don't really teach much. We need to have organiztions like the AOLP that give us all the chance to get together and meet and share ideas. We need the confidence to know what we do is an art and we need to charge well for it. We need those personal convictions that we may all not agree on.

We need to fight with each other over what we said or didn't say just to make the point that we have a passion for what we do. Light is art! Do we as a group to have the desire to prove it?

John, I agree with you. One of my main goals this year (and probably always) is to raise the understanding level of the general public and get them out of the box store lighting mentallity. now I know there are some that will never leave the DIY area, but I am mainly talking about the people who have the means to do it right, but for lack of understanding or lack of experience, continue to install junk at their homes. This industry is still fairly new and is growing rapidly. I can tell this by the growing number of hack jobs by inexperienced landscapers I see on a daily basis.

barefeetny
02-20-2008, 02:10 AM
my expectations and goals for 2008

1. install some lighting that i could post on this forum and not be ashamed of..i have a ton more reading, learning, and listening to accomplish this. I do like criticism though

2. Pick up those last few maintenance jobs i need so i can devote all my extra time to selling landscaping...not maintenance

3 continue to get my name, reputation and business established in this area

4 spend at least one day a week with the wife and kids and no---- little distraction.... i think the little girl might be ready for a canoe ride this year.

5. make enough profit that i can donate a little time to a community playground thats going together....

NiteTymeIlluminations
02-20-2008, 08:59 AM
1.)Continue to come up with original ideas and not follow anyone elses lead. Implement works of art made with light.

2.)Take a few weeks off and spend more time on the boat without my cell phone.

3.)Explore an island that I've never heard of and spend a week or 2 building sandcastles or hunting shells with my 4 year old.

4.)Turn 35 in ALMOST the best shape of my life. I don't think I could outdo my 31 birthday. I could run 30 miles at a drop of a hat and then spend an hour in the gym. Note, see my boy is 4 years old...coincidence I think not!

NiteTymeIlluminations
02-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Ooooh I forgot...reccycle everything I possibly can and cut my dependency on oil/gas/batteries.

Implement a solar program that feeds energy back to the grid.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Implement a solar program that feeds energy back to the grid.

I like the sounds of that!

I have schemed up a plan to develop a small, domestic hydrogen generator, compressor and storage unit. Heck if Big Oil has no motivation to implement an alternative fuel delivery system, then we had better 'take it to the streets' so to speak.

Ah, but now I digress. :)

NiteTymeIlluminations
02-20-2008, 09:36 AM
well we all know the most energy efficient lighting out there is tungsten halogen running on a renewable energy source but as of now we are forced to use CF's for general ambiance and halogen for accenting and retail. I'd like to elminate the CFs and go solar but it has to be able to feeback through the grid so we dont have those nasty batteries which are by far the worst thing for the environment.

Luckily CFs are getting cleaner and cleaner every day

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-20-2008, 10:03 AM
If EESTOR out of Texas has anything to say about it, there will not be a need for large banks of traditional batteries any time soon.

I so hope they deliver their much anticipated super capacitor some day soon.... My children's University Education is riding on it! :)

Lite4
02-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Uh, it takes fossil fuels to generate hydrogen so that you don't have to be dependant on fossil fuels. HUh:hammerhead:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Actually Tim you are incorrect. It takes electricity to generate Hydrogen my friend. Solar, generates electricity, use said electricity to separate Hydrogen from H2O, capture said Hydrogen and compress it to liquid, store it and fuel a fuel cell vehicle.

Sounds really easy doesn't it?

I recall using a small DC model train transformer and a beaker of water to generate minute quantities of Hydrogen when I was in a science fair in grade 6. I actually generated and captured enough of it in a baloon to ignite it and create quite a flame at judging time.

Regards

Lite4
02-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Let me rephrase this. It takes fossil fuels to create the (large amount) of electricity needed to seperate the hydrogen. There isn't a cost feasable 'solar' source out there to do it on the scale you are thinking at this time because of the high cost, and low return rate of the solar equipment. (low ROI for the high cost of equipment). However, that being said. There is a guy in my church who is working in a plant in Washington that is making these panels on a massive, (I mean blow your mind massive scale.) It is hush, hush, but they are creating them for individual households to be integrated in the near future by government mandate. They have created enough of them now to cover a large portion of the American population. So it is coming, We (not you) the American taxpayers will pay for it. I am all for clean energy, just not at the expense of breaking the bank to do it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Tim, we actually have quite a few homes that are off the grid. Yep its true, way up here in the North Country. My friend owns Muskoka Renewable Energy and for about $40K to $50K he can install a solar system at my home that would see me adding NET Kw onto the grid.

As far as small scale solar generated hydrogen goes... that too is possible. I am not talking about enough for a filling station, just a small scale plant that produces enough to fuel a small fuel cell auto.

Call it my retirement hobby...

irrig8r
02-21-2008, 02:08 AM
My number one goal for 2008 is to reduce all the collected clutter in my office, my shop, and my life.

This afternoon I did a little sorting and got rid of things like catalogs and trade magazines dating back to 1993, software and manuals for 2 computers ago (Win 95 and 98), and filled our large recycle bin 2/3 full. I overheated my shredder with piles of junk mail, and stuff like scribbled jobsite notes and contact info that had already been entered into other files.

Next step is to get rid of the printer, fax, scanner and copier in favor of an all-in-one machine. (Looking at a Brother MFC 9440 CN but open to suggestions.)

Also need to go through my collections of books and CDs and cull stuff to trade at the the used store, and then old clothes and other items for Goodwill, Freecycle, etc.

My thought is, if I haven't used it in 3 years, I probably don't really need it.

It's kind of feels liberating to get rid of junk, ya know?

It's the first step in streamlining the operation.

NightScenes
02-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Hey Gregg when you get done at your place, feel free to come down here and help me do the same!!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Gregg, We started culling junk from our lives a couple of years ago when I renovated the basement. Our rule, if we have not looked at it in 1 year, then out it goes. So liberating! Now we make this an annual process. I do the shop, trailer and office, kids do their rooms and play room, Wife does the rest. Just amazing how much clutter you can accumulate.

As for your new all-in-one office machine. In January I got rid of my laser printer, my inkjet photo printer, my scanner and my fax machines. I picked up the Canon MP830. WOW. What an awesome tool. Check it out before you buy the Brother. You will find that the Canon is very highly rated and it produces awesome photo quality images, has a really smart Ink system, and does all the rest of its tasks very quickly. I highly recommend it.

Have a great day

NiteTymeIlluminations
02-21-2008, 10:15 AM
so the conservation guys change subject and are now talking about throwing tech garbage out? i hope you didn't dispose of the products. They'll end up in the East being melted down and creating a whole new mess in the world...lol...

seriously, we need to stop upgrading our machines and cameras and cell phones every year...even if you recycle it it ends up in the wrong hands, shipped over seas and a 10 year old melts your phone and computer cables, emitting who knows what in the atmosphere just go the gold and lead to sell to the plant in china to make your wife her new earings...yikes!!!

Best way to clean out your garage is not to accumulate it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-21-2008, 11:53 AM
I send all my old tech equipment to a facility that rebuilds computers and systems for charity. It is nice to know that most of what I just got rid of will be used by someone else who did not have anything near as nice previously. What they don't use there, they strip down and send to a tech recycling facility in Cambridge Ontario (One of my clients owns it) where they actually shred everything and separate it into piles of recyclable materials to be re-used.

This stuff can be dealt with in an ethical and environmentally sound manner. Just don't drop it off at the "dump".

Regards.

irrig8r
02-21-2008, 12:28 PM
so the conservation guys change subject and are now talking about throwing tech garbage out? i hope you didn't dispose of the products. They'll end up in the East being melted down and creating a whole new mess in the world...lol...

seriously, we need to stop upgrading our machines and cameras and cell phones every year...even if you recycle it it ends up in the wrong hands, shipped over seas and a 10 year old melts your phone and computer cables, emitting who knows what in the atmosphere just go the gold and lead to sell to the plant in china to make your wife her new earings...yikes!!!

Best way to clean out your garage is not to accumulate it.

Yeah, I hear that.

Local group collecting e-waste claims it isn't going to Asia, but recycled locally. Better that than a doorstop in the garage.

A couple weeks ago I took two old cellphones back to Verizon and dropped them off in a box, supposedly intended for reconditioning and reuse at a shelter for battered women.

If there was an economical way to simply upgrade components rather than trash the system I would. Doesn't seem like a niche anyone is trying to fill anymore.

Imagine all the TVs that are going to be scrapped in coming months with the switchover to Digital HD over the airwaves. I haven't bought a TV in 15 years, but a changeover will require that I do.

I get a new computer about every 5 years (still have 2 of them in my garage and ready to recycle now) and a new cellphone every two or three... Different paces of technology, and some things are more effected by wear and tear.

Mark B
02-22-2008, 01:42 AM
I will fianlly post in this thread again.

I hope to lower my overhead alot this yr. So I will be able to grow alittle. I have never wanted to get to big. Meaning muti crews

I hope to start up a new website within the next few weeks. If all the stars and moon get lined up.

Maybe even fish some more then I did last yr. Try to run a few 5k or 8k runs. Last but not least be in the best shape since I was in high school.

Pro-Scapes
02-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Maybe even fish some more then I did last yr.

AMEN to that! 2 years ago we bought a boat... this year have not had time or the weather to go play with it much.