PDA

View Full Version : Help Guys In The Hunt For A New Excavator

mrsops
01-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey Guys As You All Know Im A Bobcat Guy But I'm Looking To Get A New Excavator I Have The 334 From Bobcat Which Is A Really Nice Machine I Also Have The 341 Which You Guys Seen, That Is Just Getting Up There With The Hours. I Figured I Would Ask You Guys What Model Cat Excavator Is Equivalent To My 341 Don't Forget My 341 Is Not A Small Excavator I Have Done Some Pretty Big Jobs With That Machine Anyhow Get Back To Me On This

OhioMowerGuy
01-31-2008, 01:32 PM
I believe the cat 305c is about the same as a 341

ma5tr
01-31-2008, 01:34 PM
yeah the 305c cr is the equivilent. I belive its operating weight is a few hundered pounds lighter. But remember once you go CAT you'll never go back!

mrsops
01-31-2008, 01:42 PM
my 341 digs 13' down does this 305 dig that deep

Scag48
01-31-2008, 02:17 PM
The new 305's are leaps and bounds better than the old series. The 305C CR is a ballsy machine. Cat added more horsepower, I think it has a little more reach but I'm not terribly sure. Takeuchi builds a strong machine if you have a dealer in the area, might be a machine to look at as well.

OhioMowerGuy
01-31-2008, 03:04 PM
305 digging depth is 11.5ft. If you want to step up to a 307 the digging depth is 13.5ft.

bobcat_ron
01-31-2008, 03:12 PM
You really need to avoid Bobcat in your next excavator purchase, mrsops, seriously, Bobcat is not the top of the heap anymore and they are losing steam-fast.

My brother's next excavator will be a toss up between a Cat 305CR and 308CR, we have looked at others, run them at the local dealership's yards and Bobcat is by far the worst excavators out there, bad fuel economy and excessive noise and vibrations on the ZTS models just to name some of the problems I am still hearing about here. The Cat 305 is definitely heavier and built heavier than the Bobcat 341 as well as the 435ZTS.

Put Bobcat on the side and try a Cat, Komatsu and a Takeuchi out, then try Bobcat, you'll see a HUGE difference, and if the Bobcat sales rep will lower his price just to keep you in his back pocket, that is an obvious sign that he knows Bobcat can't compete.

ksss
01-31-2008, 03:33 PM
I shopped the CAT 305C CR and the Takeuchi TB153 last year. I never demoed the CAT and I was trading in a TK TB53FR. The CAT has a nice cab. The TK in comparison is more utilitarian. I did not find that the CAT appeared all that HD for this size machine (granted that is subjective and really does not mean much. Thats just how I saw it). The CAT was 13K more than the TK. I checked the resale values of the 305 (not the C as it was just released last year) and they were nothing to write home about. I found that CAT mini excavators had average resale at best when compared with TK and Kubota. I went back for another TK. As I have said before that boom swing system is currently without equal. I was told last week that Deere is releasing a similiar boom system on its 75 sized machine. I certainly would demo the 153. It weighs about 12,500 pounds. You will throw rocks at your current machine after spending a day in it. The boom configuration takes a couple hours to get used to, after that there is no looking back.

I have run Deere's 50 and CASE's 50B. Very similiar machines. The specs are about the same both lag behind CAT, TK and Kubota. However if your not using the machine for HD digging either of these machines are nice. The CASE/Kobelco machine has proven very durable. There are quite a few out here including rental yards and the owners are very happy with them. I use my mini as a 580 replacement. I wanted a little heavier and more powerful machine. I owned a IHI product for 4 years and have nothing but good things to say about them. Great hyd. package, superior feel to the controls.

The |Bobcat guys here are also the Deere guys. They try to push the Deere/Hitachi machines before the Bobcat (excavators). Although last week they said that the ZTS machine has improved significantly and they are starting to push a little more.

mrsops
01-31-2008, 05:23 PM
thanks for the input guys do you know how much these machines are going for? i just got price from bobcat on the 337 with the long arm which is the same thing as my 341 it seems they dont make the 341 anymore its now the 337 price was $57,000 seems like alot it does come with everything cab and heat air condition keyless ignition back up alarm horn and bucket. 435 was 12,000 cheaper

Scag48
01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
I've toyed around on a couple Bobcat excavators, never done any real work, but they don't turn my crank at all. They seem way slow and it seems if you ask anyone with a newer machine they're having hydraulic system or swing drive issues with them, usually the larger models (331 and up). I think Bobcat's quality control has gone downhill in the last couple years with their excavators. Combine that with their average specs compared to other brands and it's easy to see that there are better choices.

mrsops
01-31-2008, 10:52 PM
its funny over here guys are selling there bobcat excavators and buying cats and the other half are selling there cat track machines and buying t190's i dont get it lol

qps
01-31-2008, 11:20 PM
its funny over here guys are selling there bobcat excavators and buying cats and the other half are selling there cat track machines and buying t190's i dont get it lol

don't tell KSSS someone is actully buying the T190

RockSet N' Grade
01-31-2008, 11:22 PM
MRSOPS.......as far as looking for a replacement machine, who offers good/great service in your area? Just another consideration that has been mentioned before.

mrsops
01-31-2008, 11:23 PM
MRSOPS.......as far as looking for a replacement machine, who offers good/great service in your area? Just another consideration that has been mentioned before.

bobcat,deere,cat, and new holland

mrsops
01-31-2008, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=qps;2128109]don't tell KSSS someone is actully buying the T190[/QUOTE

why???????????

AWJ Services
01-31-2008, 11:31 PM
I really like the KX-161 with that angle blade.:)
Takeuchi are the strongest diggers pound for pound and have the lowest HP engines per pound as well but there aux hyd flow is low for there class.
The new Cats spec well.The old ones are turds.
Komatsu machines dig much better than their specs would lead you to believe and their controls are really smooth.
The Bobcats do well ,but durability may be an issue.
The only IHI I was ever on was an absolute disaster.
It reminded me of a Chinese tractor.

The rest I have never used.

I agree with RockSet N' Grade.
Get something that at least has some dealer support although most good machines should really not ever need it.

Scag48
01-31-2008, 11:33 PM
[QUOTE=qps;2128109]don't tell KSSS someone is actully buying the T190[/QUOTE

why???????????

Let's just say his appreciation for that particular machine is much less than the average joe's. :laugh:

mrsops
01-31-2008, 11:35 PM
o boy lol thanks for the input on the excavators im just going to hold on to my 341 for now i cant go spending 60,000 for another excavator crazy

RockSet N' Grade
01-31-2008, 11:36 PM
MRSOPS.........I think instead of a new machine I would start keeping an eye out for some repo's.....Me thinks with a little patience, you could find a killer machine for a whole lot less than retail. I talked with the manager at the place where I do business and the topic of repo's came up. The concensus is that it has only just begun......

Gravel Rat
01-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey Ron did Finnings supply you with CDs you listen to at night filling your head full of Cat propaganda :laugh:

If I was in the market for a machine it would probably be Komatsu they seem to have the best bang for the buck. The PC-50MR-2 weighs 11,440lbs, has 39.4 hp and has a dig depth of 12'6" with a standard stick and a long stick 13'8".

The Clatterpillar 305C 11,725lbs has a 11.5 dig depth standard stick.

Keep in mind you buy a Cat you pay a extra 10 grand for the yellow paint :cry:

mrsops
01-31-2008, 11:37 PM
really??? let me know if you hear of anything i see some repos on ebay

mrsops
01-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Hey Ron did Finnings supply you with CDs you listen to at night filling your head full of Cat propaganda :laugh:

If I was in the market for a machine it would probably be Komatsu they seem to have the best bang for the buck. The PC-50MR-2 weighs 11,440lbs, has 39.4 hp and has a dig depth of 12'6" with a standard stick and a long stick 13'8".

what do you think about the bobcat 337 or 435

RockSet N' Grade
01-31-2008, 11:43 PM
The state of Georgia right now seems to be a topic of conversation when it comes to equipment repo's.

BIGBEN2004
01-31-2008, 11:52 PM
I like the new Cat mini ex since they now have a blade that will angle left or right which is great for backfilling ditches. As said above the new ones are leaps and bounds ahead of the older ones which were junk and didn't hold up to much abuse in hard working conditions. I would give them a try and price them out versus others. I still want to try a Takeuchi out with the boom that curls up over the side of the machine and allows it to rotate 360 and barely go out side the tracks.

AWJ Services
01-31-2008, 11:53 PM
Another local company is going into Bankruptcy it looks like.
Had 100 employees last year.
One builder hit them 500K + and filed bankruptcy.
They had a really good company.
It is so bad the Mexicans are actually leaving Atlanta.:)

mrsops
01-31-2008, 11:53 PM
yeah the bobcat 435 has that zero swing to

Gravel Rat
01-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Sorry I'am not a big fan of bobcat minis. I have spend some time on a 325 and it was a piece. The machine I use to run the boom snapped off when another operator was running it. I also did the maintenance and repairs on the 325 everything was ticky tack together.

The other problem I found was the 325 was tippy I'am used to fullsized excavators but the 325 made me tense a few times :laugh:

The Bobcat skids are good but Bobcat mini excavators are not.

mrsops
01-31-2008, 11:57 PM
Another local company is going into Bankruptcy it looks like.
Had 100 employees last year.
One builder hit them 500K + and filed bankruptcy.
They had a really good company.
It is so bad the Mexicans are actually leaving Atlanta.:)

yeah and there all coming to ny lol

BIGBEN2004
01-31-2008, 11:58 PM
I mean completely zero turn including the boom. Check out this picture and you will see what I mean.
http://www.takeuchi-us.com/TB138FR.html

mrsops
02-01-2008, 12:00 AM
thats so cool wow what would that come in handy for thou?

BIGBEN2004
02-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Between a house and a fence.

AWJ Services
02-01-2008, 12:07 AM
thats so cool wow what would that come in handy for thou?

The boom is position so far back on the machine it gives it much better balance when digging to the side.Standard swing booms tend to pull the machine sideways when digging with the boom swung to the side.

bobcat_ron
02-01-2008, 11:36 AM

No CD's sorry, but it seems the sales rep is referring me to customers who want to buy a new Cat MTL now.

Komatsu's are priced slightly higher than Cat's with a higher (6.25%) interest rate, so Cat for us, would still be a better choice and Komatsu's pilot controls just seem a little long sometimes.

mak landscape
02-02-2008, 03:38 PM
i have had two bobcat excavators and to this point the have been a very good machine the current one is a 331e 2004 year. i have heard that the zhs sieries has had some valving problems. the 341 is a solid machine tons of power. i demoed a tk 135 and 138 and they were both great machines very smooth and powerful. i also demoed a cat 303.5 cr and i found the cab to be much smaller and when digging over any part of the machine other than the blade it was very tipsy and i mean you couldn't take a full bucket without going over. i chose the bobcat because of the extend a hoe option and my luck with them in the past. bottom line they are all good machines including the kubotas. its all personal preference and most of what you are hearing is hearsay. im sure you will find that documented problems occur on all makes of machines no matter what brand.

mrsops
02-02-2008, 03:41 PM
yeah i like the bobcats as well. i have a cat 305 and a bobcat 337 and 435 zhs coming to my yard this week im going to do some heavy demoing with these machines i like the 435 because of the zhs and they said they made some big improvements on it.

bobcat_ron
02-02-2008, 04:15 PM
No Deere/Hitachi either? Gotta try one of them out if you don't mind the smaller door, the hydraulics are just as fast and "snappy" as Bobcat's, but with the power of Cat and Tak's.

mrsops
02-02-2008, 04:18 PM
deere im not sure about i guess i can get a demo on one of them i dont know much about them. hitachi dealer is a little to far. ron what do you think about the 435 zhs

bobcat_ron
02-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Never liked the 430 or the 435, the 425 I'm a little fond of. My dad rented a 435 for 2 days and hated it, he couldn't feather the joy sticks that well and the front opening of the cab had the windshield wiper there, but that has since changed, but he still curses at their engine/hydraulic system and that damn 2 speed Fastrac.

mrsops
02-02-2008, 04:25 PM
im going to have to demo a few diff machines see what i have to do

bobcat_ron
02-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Personally if I had to buy another mini hoe, I would take another Hitachi/Deere if the Cat was out of my price range, even a used Deere/Hitachi is very solid after 1000 hours.

Dirt Digger2
02-02-2008, 05:17 PM
look at volvo too

did any one else know that volvo bought the entire line of Ingersoll Rand asphalt equipment? from the roller and pavers to the cold planers...guess we'll be seeing volvo a lot more now

Fieldman12
02-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Around here the Deere/Hitachi machines are the ones you see the most of. Everyone that I know has one really likes them. Next around here is Kubota,Takeuchi, and then Cat. I see some Komatsu's every now and then but yet to see a small Case/Kobelco running around in the mini size. We have a Case dealer close by and he pushes the Kubota's. I have yet to see a Case on the lot.

bobcat_ron
02-02-2008, 06:21 PM
look at volvo too

did any one else know that volvo bought the entire line of Ingersoll Rand asphalt equipment? from the roller and pavers to the cold planers...guess we'll be seeing volvo a lot more now

Vovlo has major issues with stability, they have their engines side mounted, that is a no-no. :nono: Also they have a weird glitch in the pilots that make the boom and stick "jumpy" when you try to make a nice smooth pass when the stick and boom are at maximum reach, but I do give them high praises for the cabs, nice air ride seats with the pilots mounted, that's very nice.

bobcat_ron
02-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Around here the Deere/Hitachi machines are the ones you see the most of. Everyone that I know has one really likes them. Next around here is Kubota,Takeuchi, and then Cat. I see some Komatsu's every now and then but yet to see a small Case/Kobelco running around in the mini size. We have a Case dealer close by and he pushes the Kubota's. I have yet to see a Case on the lot.

Nice thing about the Hitachi, Komatsu and Cat mini's, they are built just like the big stuff, with rubber O-rings on all the bucket pins, Bobcat would never do that, they just don't seem to think that will keep the grease in.

Dirt Digger2
02-02-2008, 06:28 PM
i have never run a mini volvo..we have a 15 ton volvo and dont have any problems

dirtybiz
02-02-2008, 06:49 PM
We have a bobcat 337 we bought last spring, and love it. We had not problems at all, but it is a little early in the game. We don't use it day in day out either, though. I can't compare because i have not run many others (except a rental kobelco, what a hunk of junk) but works great for what we do. The 337 will lift up some big rocks and swing them out their quite a ways w/out tipping. To each their own, i guess.

Fordsuvparts
02-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Do not buy one of these, you will regret it!!!!
It has the least power of any mini ex, that my company has ever bought or rented. Is has had major valving problems since we got it and dealer hasn't been able to resolve the issues. It it weak as a kitten when it comes to everything, We owned a cat 303.5 and only traded it in on the Bobcat because our Cat 247B was costing about $300-500 a month in track repair and down time, and it was under warranty. Bobcat gave us 10k more than we owed on the pair. Yes we got a 2006 T-190 gold and a 430 ZHS. The T-190 has 900 hours and not one problem we didn't cause. We rented a Tk and a Kubota for a few months on a job out of town and they were a smaller machine and they kicked the sh1t out of our bobcat. We are going to demo the new series cat in the spring and probably switch back to CAT. IT does help that the local cat rep is a friend and a good customer who provides free demo's on all the jobs we do for him.

mrsops
02-02-2008, 08:44 PM
i own the 334 bobcat and i love that machine and i love my 341. i think im going to buy the 337 it has a ton of power

ksss
02-02-2008, 08:45 PM
We have a bobcat 337 we bought last spring, and love it. We had not problems at all, but it is a little early in the game. We don't use it day in day out either, though. I can't compare because i have not run many others (except a rental kobelco, what a hunk of junk) but works great for what we do. The 337 will lift up some big rocks and swing them out their quite a ways w/out tipping. To each their own, i guess.

What did you come up with on the VTS? I have not been up to Big Sky since November, but the ski report said 8-9 feet of base. Judging by the number of times the road has been closed this year from Ashton, Id to Big Sky I'll bet they are up to their noses in snow. It might be July before you get working up there and it will be plenty wet.

mrsops
02-02-2008, 08:50 PM

dirtybiz how much did you pay for your 337

Construct'O
02-02-2008, 10:52 PM
i own the 334 bobcat and i love that machine and i love my 341. i think im going to buy the 337 it has a ton of power

You getting to sound more like Bobcat Hater/Cat Lover Ron.Do your demo before you fall in love:laugh:

Unless your in a hurry take sometime and check things out some at least.Good luck:usflag:

dirtybiz
02-02-2008, 10:58 PM
What did you come up with on the VTS? I have not been up to Big Sky since November, but the ski report said 8-9 feet of base. Judging by the number of times the road has been closed this year from Ashton, Id to Big Sky I'll bet they are up to their noses in snow. It might be July before you get working up there and it will be plenty wet.

Dale (KRRtrax) is looking for a slightly used set for me, otherwise I am not sure what I am going to do for sure yet. Not in a huge rush, just need to have something figured out before spring. Not really crazy about spending 15k for a set! Yes their is a ton of snow around here, slightly above average. A couple of the places i frequently snowmobile between b.sky and w.yellowstone have 80-90" of snow. It seems to disapear fairly quickly in the spring though.

mrsops
02-02-2008, 11:01 PM
dirty what did you pay for your 337

dirtybiz
02-02-2008, 11:02 PM
dirtybiz how much did you pay for your 337

It's a complicated story, because my dad had a wild hair to buy a backhoe, so he went and bought a brand new Case 580 backhoe, which never got used for the year we had it except for little projects we did around our place. So this spring he traded it (backhoe) and a slightly used S250 in on a T250 and a 337 mini-x, so I couldn't really tell you. What is the list on one now??

mrsops
02-02-2008, 11:08 PM
50,000 for a plain jane machine. if you want heat,ac,keyless start and the nice seat its 55,500

godzilla
02-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Check out the Volvos. A good friend of mine has had CATS in the past, how all he buys is the Volvos. He loves them. They're starting to become the dominant brand around here for excavators. He's got a 160 and a 55. A lot of people have the 55's which is around 12,000 lbs. He prefers the 160 though due to productivity.

ksss
02-03-2008, 12:11 AM
50,000 for a plain jane machine. if you want heat,ac,keyless start and the nice seat its 55,500

My TK TB153FR with heat/AC was 58K. The price with coupler and thumb was 62K. If the price is even close I would go with TK over BC. Twice the machine IMHO.

Gravel Rat
02-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Keep in mind when you buy a Volvo you can get it cheaper than the other brands but then it comes to parts and repairs its "I Got ya". Volvo parts are very expensive talk to the logging contractors that use Volvo ADTs. The Volvos do last a long time but when you need parts it is cha ching.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Dirt Digger2
02-03-2008, 02:01 AM
parts for our Volvo are not any more expensive then parts for our CATs...the only difference is we seem to buy a lot more CAT parts then Volvo parts...in the 4000 hours the machine has on it the only thing we had to fix was that the swing motor leaked so we had to get it re-sealed

RockSet N' Grade
02-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Around here machines, 20,000 lbs and up, the guys are switching to volvo. One of the main reasons I am hearing is that they are real easy on fuel ( on a 200 sized machine I am told its $100 less a day for fuel than Cat) and Volvos price and finance rates are way more competative. On the smaller sized machines, everyone is all over the board with no particular brand in the dominating spot.

Fieldman12
02-03-2008, 10:22 AM
I have also heard that the Volvo machines are way more fuel efficient than the Cats and some of the other brands.

Dirt Digger2
02-03-2008, 11:26 AM
we are getting a good 2.5 days on one tank of fuel for our 150. The only problems we have had so far are occasionally the automatic idle down (part of the reason its so good on fuel) computer needs to be reset, and we had air conditioning problems, but that was fixed in our shop by the dealer under warranty...along with the swing motor seal that i already mentioned

2004F550
02-03-2008, 12:22 PM
we have a Bobcat 435 which has been very good for us, it did go through left and right drive motors, but we had extended warrenty so they were replaced no questions. In terms of power, it was much stronger then the Cat 305 of the time, which was 2004, I cannot say if the 305C is better because I have not gotten in one yet but the 305 had no crowd or curl power at all. Keep in mind we own an all CAT fleet except for this mini ex and JD loader backhoes, We would have bought the CAT had it been comparable. Would we buy the Bobcat again? Had they not been bought by Doosan maybe, but I doubt we will on the next purchase. The machine has been good for us and put up with a lot of abuse and the salesman bends over backwards but I think overall Bobcat is headed down now and I don't think it will ever be what it was again.

On another note I would look hard at Volvo, a competitor next to us just traded a Cat 305 in on a Volvo E58 and loves it. I think volvo makes a hell of a machine, even though the parts may not be as quick as CAT. Also, Volvo does have a very nice fuel saving which can add up.

dirtybiz
02-03-2008, 02:12 PM

That's kind of what i recalled in the back of my mind, ours has the ac, heat, keyless start, quick attach, etc.. We have two regular buckets and a 36" grading bucket w/ the tilt attach., that works awesome for cutting drainage swales, etc.. Really comes in handy when dealing w/ akward slopes in tight areas, swing it around and tilt it to meet any angles you could possibly need.

Never seen volvos around here, only cat's, bobcat's, and a couple of new holland's and deere's, but then again we are the last to see anything out here! The largest rental fleet here has had them all and went to a complete bobcat mini-x fleet last spring (335 & 337's). I dont' remember what brand they had before now, but they do have some large volvo excavators too. I don't think you will regret it.

Was gonna post a pic. for you, but apparantely they are to big, and i don't know how to resize.

mrsops
02-03-2008, 02:13 PM
i dont think doosan is going to anything but put a diff engine in the machine other then that everything is going to stay the same

mrsops
02-03-2008, 03:40 PM
That's kind of what i recalled in the back of my mind, ours has the ac, heat, keyless start, quick attach, etc.. We have two regular buckets and a 36" grading bucket w/ the tilt attach., that works awesome for cutting drainage swales, etc.. Really comes in handy when dealing w/ akward slopes in tight areas, swing it around and tilt it to meet any angles you could possibly need.

Never seen volvos around here, only cat's, bobcat's, and a couple of new holland's and deere's, but then again we are the last to see anything out here! The largest rental fleet here has had them all and went to a complete bobcat mini-x fleet last spring (335 & 337's). I dont' remember what brand they had before now, but they do have some large volvo excavators too. I don't think you will regret it.

Was gonna post a pic. for you, but apparantely they are to big, and i don't know how to resize.

dirtybiz what did you pay for your s205

Dirt Digger2
02-03-2008, 03:42 PM
enough talk...a little grey and yellow!

dirtybiz
02-03-2008, 05:06 PM
dirtybiz what did you pay for your s205

31k w/ all options (gold package, counter weights, radio, etc.), then they came out w/ the 2 speed shortly after i got mine :cry:!

mrsops
02-04-2008, 12:43 AM
31 k great price