PDA

View Full Version : Progressive link thumb

RockSet N' Grade
01-31-2008, 01:05 PM
I have been working with Werk-Brau and their engineering department to design a new progressive link thumb in a style that suits my particular needs. Here is what is currently being manufactured for me.......its their first and a prototype. Rotation is 167 degrees and it fits flat back against the stick when not in use.

RockSet N' Grade
01-31-2008, 01:15 PM
You probably can't see the numbers, but the width is about 15" and fits inside an 18" bucket. What I lose is the ability to use a 12" bucket to dig deeper than the depth of the bucket, but I don't use a 12" that often. What I gain is tremendous. My current thumb is a direct link with 93 degree rotation.....with the 167 degree I have alot more versatility and don't have to move my machine as much. I have been involved in this little project for over a year. Will see how she works come spring.

bobcat_ron
01-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Looks like it'll be nice for grabbing rocks better.

RockSet N' Grade
01-31-2008, 04:15 PM
The major manufacturers out there offer progressive link thumbs that are "tined", but that does not work for my application. I needed a solid faced with a thumb nail on the end to tweek the rocks into place as I set them. This seems to be the end solution, several comprimises had to be made in design (such as width), but all and all it should work. Maybe Werk-Brau will have this new item at Con-Expo and I'm not gonna ask Ksss for pics 'cause I don't want to owe him a lap dance.

Construct'O
01-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi ! Rock
Had to move this because of brain lapse!:rolleyes:

Here i thought you was busy working all summer,now we find out............ the rest of the story.So will you be getting credit of any kind for this design ,or just the satfaction of helping design something that will work for your use and maybe bennfit several other people along the way.

If it it without any kickback then all i have to say is your a "real nice guy"

Glad to see you have been putting your time too good use all>>>>>>> year long.Also glad to see that some big companys do take time to listen to the small contractors and companys.Good luck:usflag:

Scag48
01-31-2008, 10:10 PM
I can't tell, but is the edge on the thumb replaceable?

Construct'O
01-31-2008, 10:21 PM
I can't tell, but is the edge on the thumb replaceable?

Do you mean the nail as Rock is calling it.If not i think that would be a good idea to make it replaceable.

You might have hit it on the nail so to speak!Way to go there:drinkup::usflag:

Scag48
01-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I've seen guys who run tine thumbs in heavy rock bolt extenders to the tines so that the thumbs that are $5K last longer.

AWJ Services
01-31-2008, 10:52 PM
The thumb rolls so far back that it will also help keep those really heavy rocks closer to the center of gravity.
It looks really good.
If they would also add a set of bolt in teeth it would be dual purpose thumb.
The best of both worlds.

Construct'O
01-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I've seen guys who run tine thumbs in heavy rock bolt extenders to the tines so that the thumbs that are $5K last longer.

Your thought on the use of bolts and bolt on stuff in general.Do your think i know " Cat " bolts like grade 8 are better then other company grade 8 bolts or is a grade 8 bolt a grade 8 bolt simple as that????

There was a guy from my area that ran International TD 15 dozer,but always was breaking idler mounting bolts.He would always brag about his IH.Until i caught i'm at my Cat dealer buying grade 8 bolts for his machine:dancing:.

From then on when i saw him i always kid him if it wasn't for those Cat bolts holding his machine togather he wouldn't get anything done!!!He did have to admit they was the only ones that would last.

It took more then bolts to hold them togather,but that is another story.I did like the semi-dozer blade on them back then.I never thought Cat was ever going to come out with one.

As for convenience bolt on is nice ,but for this would weld on be a better fit.

Others jump in on the this.Please!:usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
01-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Scag....the thumb nail that you are talking about is replaceable. Never thought about bolt on tines....and no, I don't get the thumb named after me or get a residual off each one sold.....but, I got an implement for my carrier that no one else around here (yet) has. No one really talks about implements and their importance, but it has become a large part of my business plan. I hope to be able to separate myself (being a small outfit) from the others by offering more services through implements i.e.: tilt bucket, thumb, breaker, grade beam, brush rake, etc. to name a few. And yea Constructo, even though I BS alot and talk alot of non-sense I am always working on two or three things in several areas of business that I, for the most part, keep quiet.

Construct'O
01-31-2008, 11:33 PM
I think they might be missing the boat! I think "Rocke"N Set" thumbs sound pretty good to me.:weightlifter:

See i do a lot of thinking,but doesn't add up to much.:confused:

As far as BS goes,good BS isn't so bad sometimes people like to BS ,even gets you job sometimes when you stop bye to BS with a friend or customer!!!!!!!!

Bad BS ! now thats a different story,doesn't usually go to far:rolleyes::usflag:

AWJ Services
02-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Your Thumb is addressing problems that you have encountered when using what is commercially available.
I had similar thoughts about skid steer grapples but most on here did not have my same vision.

Kudos to you .
The Ultimate Craftsman owns the Ultimate Tools!

RockSet N' Grade
02-01-2008, 10:58 AM
AWJ.....you hit on a point, and that's why I keep it quiet. Too many "dream stealers" out in the world......not necessarily here, but out there. If you have an idea, bring it to reality - right wrong or indifferent, ya never know until you do.....

ksss
02-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I have the direct link version on my TK. It has 128 degrees of rotation. I wish I would have been able to wait until RockSet was done putting a boot WB engineering department. They do make a good product. My IHI, 53FR and now the 153FR have all had this WB thumb.