PDA

View Full Version : Lesco Spreader Setting for Anderson's

RAlmaroad
01-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey Guys:
I'm having a problem calibrating Anderson's fertilizer to the Lesco Spreader as Anderson's does not recognize that spreader. In all of the past years I've used Lesco but have found a better analysis on the Anderson's.
Does anyone have a calibration theory for using say 8lb of fertilizer/K? Rittenhouse has a chart that goes up to about 7lb/K but not much further. I don't need it exact but close enough to tweek after the first bag or so. I found 5-5-24 with Barricade for the Centipede. The amount of barricade/50lb bag gets about 6K/bag. This will give the centipede about 1/2lbN/50lb bag. Not quite but I plan to suppliment the little extra with another product.
Any help to calibrate the Lesco spreaded for 8lb/K would be great
Thanks,
Roy

RAlmaroad
01-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Forgot to mention that I generally go by the old 100ft travel by 10 width method.

RigglePLC
01-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Raim,
so you are going to put 12 pounds of potash on 6000 sqft of grass? Muriate with a fairly high level of chloride?

If this is a one time thing--just use the 4 pound rate and go over it twice.

Otherwise get your Lesco spreader opening guage and find the opening size for the 7 pound rate and set your Lesco spread to slightly more than that width--say about 20 millimeters. Weigh it and spread--weigh it again to find the difference. Adjust and repeat.

If no scales--use a full bag and mesure how many sq ft you covered. Adjust and repeat.

RAlmaroad
01-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Raim,
so you are going to put 12 pounds of potash on 6000 sqft of grass? Muriate with a fairly high level of chloride?

If this is a one time thing--just use the 4 pound rate and go over it twice.

Otherwise get your Lesco spreader opening guage and find the opening size for the 7 pound rate and set your Lesco spread to slightly more than that width--say about 20 millimeters. Weigh it and spread--weigh it again to find the difference. Adjust and repeat.

If no scales--use a full bag and mesure how many sq ft you covered. Adjust and repeat.

Yea, I know it's a little high but sand leaches quickly. I though about using XL-2G and then my regular 15-0-15 but am going to try this and see for a more prolonged pre-em. Last year the Dimension pooped out way too early. Even though about a 2nd app of Dimension. Centipede is a beautiful grass but required special treatment. St. Augustine is good but required Nitrogen almost every month along with everything else On some of those yards I'll go over them 10 times or more. But they are beautifu.

RigglePLC
02-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Some types of potash are highly water soluble--unless you can find a coated potash. Heavy rains could leach it out.

I am not sure how this would work--Barricade in first round and then use liquid Dimension, Pre-em or Pendalum Aqua Cap in the second round. Good question for a technical mind--like Ric. Hey Ric! What do you think?

tremor
02-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Set the SR2000 at K 1/2 for starters.

RAlmaroad
02-02-2008, 05:23 AM
I had lost those keys for the holes and just made another set from a friend.
Thanks. Roy

naughty62
02-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Anderson golf help line 1-800-225-2639.Parts are handled by psb co. .1-614-559-2705 .order a couple calibration keys and see about a manual .Have parts # handy .They will want the parts number for that model .If i rememeber right its on the rate control slide bar. What is the active ingredient %for the 5-5-24 fert/stonewall combo ,.19% ,.38% ?

RAlmaroad
02-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Anderson golf help line 1-800-225-2639.Parts are handled by psb co. .1-614-559-2705 .order a couple calibration keys and see about a manual .Have parts # handy .They will want the parts number for that model .If i rememeber right its on the rate control slide bar. What is the active ingredient %for the 5-5-24 fert/stonewall combo ,.19% ,.38% ?

It's Anderson's fertilize with Barricade. Stonewall is Lesco's Prodiamine. AI is .42 Barricade which is what I'll be using for Centipede that requires almost NO Nitrogen and used in my Lesco #80.
Proper pre-em needs to be put on according to label. Some guys put it on according to grass needs of nitrogen which cuts down on the pre-em, thus a lot of breakthrough I'm guessing. Our soil in SC is so sandy that it leaches out most of the K. Almost all soil test show a major need for the K.

bug-guy
02-02-2008, 06:14 PM
remember comparing one manuf to another will get you close but measuring and appling will be the best as prill sizes differ

RAlmaroad
02-03-2008, 06:14 AM
remember comparing one manuf to another will get you close but measuring and appling will be the best as prill sizes differ

So true. That's why I'm using the recommended pounds of product on the bag. I have one of those Lesco trays also that shows how much went down in a single pass and after calibrated to a 10' X 100' strip. Also, the shape of the fertilizer particle will effect rate also.
Thanks,
Roy

teeca
02-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Yea, I know it's a little high but sand leaches quickly. I though about using XL-2G and then my regular 15-0-15 but am going to try this and see for a more prolonged pre-em. Last year the Dimension pooped out way too early. Even though about a 2nd app of Dimension. Centipede is a beautiful grass but required special treatment. St. Augustine is good but required Nitrogen almost every month along with everything else On some of those yards I'll go over them 10 times or more. But they are beautifu.

if leaching is a problem try this link, never used it (because leaching is not a big problem here) http://www.lebanonturf.com/expo/ its a controled release potash product