PDA

View Full Version : Timing for bulk mailing in Midwest (fertilization only)

FERT-TEK
01-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Fellas, this will be the first year that I am doing bulk mailing for my upstart fertilization business and am curious when you would recommend sending out my mailers. I live in the Midwest if that helps (suburbs of Chicago).

I am considering two or three postcard mailings sent out two weeks apart and am currently looking at my first mailing to arrive March 1st. Do you agree with this timing or is March 1st too late?

mrkosar
01-31-2008, 06:05 PM
start sending my out late feb too. this year we will try sending them out when the weather warms instead of a date. people won't respond well if they aren't thinking about their lawns. maybe 1/4 in early march, 1/4 middle march, 1/4 late march, then the other 1/4 in april sometime.

we are looking for prepays so getting them out in march is sometimes even too late. tough balancing act to get them out before they prepay with another company, but late enough that they are thinking about lawns.

FERT-TEK
01-31-2008, 07:22 PM
start sending my out late feb too. this year we will try sending them out when the weather warms instead of a date. people won't respond well if they aren't thinking about their lawns. maybe 1/4 in early march, 1/4 middle march, 1/4 late march, then the other 1/4 in april sometime.

we are looking for prepays so getting them out in march is sometimes even too late. tough balancing act to get them out before they prepay with another company, but late enough that they are thinking about lawns.

Have you found that this timing has worked for you in general. I realize that it is hit or miss due to the weather.

mikesturf
02-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Dave/Fert-Tek check your personal messages.
Mike - Streamwood, Ill

Victor
02-01-2008, 12:47 AM
I don't know. March 1st might be a little too early. I think you'd do better if you waited until at least mid March to send out your first cards.

Rayholio
02-01-2008, 01:11 AM
I send 'em out in january, and a second round March 1... Don't let tru-brown beat you to the punch!

Whitey4
02-01-2008, 01:33 AM
I'm starting with door hangers next week. And yeah, I'll be doing all the distribution myself. I figure a round now, and another around March 1. But, my biz is very different than what most of you guys do... I'm an LCo first, an apps guy second, although that is where all my profit will be. I will only take full service customers... mow, blow, IPM, ferts and apps. Does that sound about right?

dougaustreim
02-01-2008, 09:32 AM
We mailed ours ten days ago and the renewals are flooding in with the prepay checks. Scott sent theirs last week. We used to do ours in March, but all the national franchises etc were mailing and calling by Mid January, so we moved ours up and have noticed no negative effect from being this early.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

Markf
02-01-2008, 01:01 PM
We are a small operation but my son does have his CT license and we have been thinking about this type of approach. I am unfamiliar with the cost and the potential return. Could you enlighted us?
Thanks.
Mark

lwelve
02-01-2008, 01:27 PM
I`m not sure of the product you use, but we do a 6 step program and use Lesco products.
Our first application is around St Patrick`s day.
Chem Lawn , TruGreen and Scotts are already calling and telemarketing their programs. I would do yours within the next several weeks, but no later than end of Feb.
Good Luck
LVE Lawn & Landscaping

FERT-TEK
02-01-2008, 01:44 PM
We are a small operation but my son does have his CT license and we have been thinking about this type of approach. I am unfamiliar with the cost and the potential return. Could you enlighten us?
Thanks.
Mark

Mark, you can expect a 2-3% return on your bulk mailing investment. Depending on how big your target audience is with your mailing. That investment will have paid for itself in your first few accounts received. I am currently shopping for a company to provide a list according to my specified demographics.