PDA

View Full Version : Toro 21" drive system broken

brucec32
01-31-2008, 06:50 PM
I have a pretty newish consumer type Toro 21" self propelled mower with the personal pace type setup that has had one of the wheels' drive system go out. I've taken it apart and even replaced the moving key and gear in the wheel assembly with ones from an old unit that worked and it still slips. The other wheel drives fine.

What am I not seeing that is broken? Could it be inside the gearbox itself? I do recall it not wanting to go into neutral and reverse sometimes right after I got it, and I wound up dragging it backwards a few times. I prefer the squeeze type drive system found on the commercial models and older recycler II's but this unit was bought for a 2nd home that I no longer have and I wanted to get some use out of it. Runs and cuts great, I just prefer having two wheels working.

Two previous consumer models are 10 years+ and had zero drive problems. This one was broken within a few months.

lucforce
01-31-2008, 06:54 PM
1. They need grease.
2. Look at the white plastic "washer," I bet that it is worn.

brucec32
01-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Tried that already, added a little more. Plenty of grease, though I do suspect something is keeping the "key" in the cog from popping out with centrifical force to catch and move the wheel.

It's not a BBC equipped model, so it's a little dicey taking a wheel off and letting it run to see if the axle is moving well. I will have to remove the blade and go at it when I get a chance. Thanks anyway.

mowranger
01-31-2008, 08:31 PM
What is the modle #

Valk
01-31-2008, 11:26 PM
When only one wheel spins:

You may very well have an internal tranny issue...would be simplest/costliest to replace it if this is the cause.

Or, as stated above - the white clutch washer might need replacing...

Or, the groove in the axle needs to be cleaned real well for the key/dog to operate well...assuming proper greasing is done.

Or, maybe, just maybe:
If you go (deeper) past the gear, past the white clutch washer, past the rubber o-ring///there will be another force-fit washer that slides through a groove on the axle...just like the initial force-fit washer. If that was worn away or broke there can be too much pressure on the whole mechanism. It might only be broken on that one side.

Assuming the bad wheel is facing up, when replacing this force-fit piece...it either requires some coordinated pressure to make room for it to slide into place...or I've heard that a well placed C-clamp will squeeze everything together enough to allow the force-fit washer to slide into the slot.

I've had a broken plastic wheel hub cause this as well...

There may be other reasons, but these are the ones that life has presented to me so far!

Issues with the wheels not free-wheeling in reverse are due to an improperly adjusted Personal Pace drive cable. You'll need the owners manual for this...but a 1/4-3/8" of play is a general goal.

If this is confusing :dizzy:, obtain an exploded diagram...or PM me.

brucec32
02-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks, it's gotta be one of those things. It's just finding time to dig into it...bleech. I'll print the reply out and troubleshoot it. I can likely get a parts explosion on the web. Thanks again.

Valk
02-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Well...I have, a time or two, put this fairly simple mechanism back together incorrectly...which of course can be a problem/cause in and of itself. :laugh:

Ask your local Toro dealer for assistance...they've definitely provided me a diagram or two over the years. Good folks!

Valk

brucec32
03-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks to Luc and Valk for your help with this. After trying 3 other times to disassemble, inspect and diagnose it, and finding no visable problems, your advice on the white plastic washer did the trick. It looked fine, but the wheel was slipping and not turning under any load at all. So I took the washer out of a 15 year old model that no longer runs I had sitting around for parts and tried it and now it works like a charm. I was surprised after the fact, realizing that this mower design is 15 years old w/o a need to redesign that little part.

The parts explosion diagram I got on Toro's website really helped me make sure everything got put back together in the right order. Thanks again.

Valk
03-08-2008, 04:55 AM
Glad to hear about your Victory!