PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Cub won't start

ajordan193
01-31-2008, 07:45 PM
I have a 2004 Scag Tiger Cub 48/19 kawi. I've been having problems with the mower starting after it gets wet. Now the mower won't turn over at all and keeps draining the battery. I've tried to jump it and charge the system but still keeps cranking. I've changed the plugs and let it dry out for a while now and have been unsuccessful starting it. Any ideas?

grass_cuttin_fool
01-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Sounds like something in the solenoid has shorted out or something....might be what is causing the drain and why when you try to jump it the engine continues to spin over

Also I would check where the ground wire from the battery attaches to the frame and make sure its clean, not corroded up and good and tight.....Bad grounds make electrical systems act funny too

wayne

Restrorob
01-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Sounds like you could have a few problems going on here.

Do as Wayne posted checking grounds then go to the ignition switch. The battery post on it will rust and cause a bad connection in the harness plug, After a while like this heat build up will burn the contacts inside the switch and could cause all the problems you posted.

bruno_rs
02-02-2008, 09:37 AM
I have a 2004 Scag Tiger Cub 48/19 kawi. I've been having problems with the mower starting after it gets wet. Now the mower won't turn over at all and keeps draining the battery. I've tried to jump it and charge the system but still keeps cranking. I've changed the plugs and let it dry out for a while now and have been unsuccessful starting it. Any ideas?

hey jordan, i agree with both posters and will add i had similar problems with my kawi zt219's ... turned out to be a bad ignition switch. also, that engine has a selenoid on the carb which will not open if there is a poor connection... might be why it is just cranking. your problem sounds very much like a poor and/or no connection. when replacing the switch make certain it is for that particular setup... i made the mistake of installing a "generic" switch and lost a days labor ripping thru the harness and relays... all for a $15 oem part. if the switch doesn't solve the problem, test the (carb) selenoid. remove it, from the carb and you can test it using the battery. if the connection is made and nothing happens the selenoid will need to be replaced... but be careful not to let the selenoid get "away" from you... if it 's good it will "spring" out. my guess is the switch, however check your connections 1st... always start with the simplest repair first ie. fuses, broken/disconnected wires, etc. and work backword to the most complicated and/or difficult. many times it's a 99 cent part/repair that bring your 10k machine "to its' knees"!!! hope this helps. good luck, have a good one,

ajordan193
02-02-2008, 05:16 PM
thanks guys for the replys, guess i'll have to work backwards on this one

Cheapscapes
02-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Jordan...was having problems with my scag..have the briggs 24hp..thought it was the solenoid..checked all the connections..all good..turned electric clutch was holding the blade belt tight.{ just enough to cause the motor to turn over slow.if at all}not sure why this happened most likely dirt is clogging the free play in the clutch..

ajordan193
02-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Jordan...was having problems with my scag..have the briggs 24hp..thought it was the solenoid..checked all the connections..all good..turned electric clutch was holding the blade belt tight.{ just enough to cause the motor to turn over slow.if at all}not sure why this happened most likely dirt is clogging the free play in the clutch..

Where is the electric clutch located? maybe mine is clogged full of dirt. Does your have a hard time starting after getting wet? How do you like the briggs 24hp?

Cheapscapes
02-14-2008, 06:35 PM
the brigg has a lot of power..not alot of room to work on the motor in the tiger cub..oil changes are a *****...check where the belt for the blades meets the motor shaft..might be worth a look..worked for me.

ajordan193
03-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Just got the mower out of storage today and i am still having this problem. Looks like i'm not getting spark and still draining the battery. The plugs are brand new