PDA

View Full Version : Can you provide the best for your Client's with one Brand?

Eden Lights
01-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Do your designs and installs consist of one brand or are they a combination of several?

Pro-Scapes
01-31-2008, 11:43 PM
my first 3 installs were a single brand. Now usually only cookie cutter jobs are. The major draw back to this is repair parts. Sockets... orings... lenses all vary between lines and fixtures so much.

Eden Lights
01-31-2008, 11:50 PM
my first 3 installs were a single brand. Now usually only cookie cutter jobs are. The major draw back to this is repair parts. Sockets... orings... lenses all vary between lines and fixtures so much.

I am looking forward to our tenth year in business in 2009 and we have yet to really need any parts outside of sockets on our installs. Knock on wood! What are you having fail?

Lite4
01-31-2008, 11:52 PM
This is a tough one. I will usually try to use the best products for each situation, most often it is a matter of budget as to which line I will use for each project though. More often than not the lights will usually come from one at the most 2 manus to keep the ordering and shipping nightmare to a minimum.

Lite4
01-31-2008, 11:53 PM
Eddie, Is the primary line you use Vista? I noticed you use their long shroud bullet, but didn't know if you use any of their other line.

Pro-Scapes
02-01-2008, 12:05 AM
I am looking forward to our tenth year in business in 2009 and we have yet to really need any parts outside of sockets on our installs. Knock on wood! What are you having fail?

Well o rings can need replacing... what about small screws and stuff. Nothing major so far but its been under 3 years. I dont anticipate many failures if any outside the normal sockets and such.

extlights
02-01-2008, 02:09 AM
We've primarily only used one manufacturer over the last few years. Unless it's a very complex, specific application that needs a certain specialty fixture I can't see why a company can't do business with one major manufacturer. If you have a good relationship with them, their fixtures are of high quality and they have enough of a selection to meet yours and your clients needs, I don't see the need to use many different brands. On top of that, how many different fixtures do you really use? I mean seriously, unless it's really a complex specialized project do you actually use so many different types of fixtures that one major quality manufacturer doesn't have enough diversity in their line that would work for you?

sprinkler guy
02-01-2008, 03:42 AM
I'm trying to break out of the habit of using the same pathlight at every job, but uplights, and some downlights are usually hidden from sight, (or at least as close to hidden as I can make them) so I tend to stick to a few manufacturers for most applications. Most of my jobs are primarily FX, but a handful of others get some specialty fixtures for something high profile. James starting the manufacturers list has opened up a whole new world of lines to me.

I just finished a job in Manahttan Beach that I bid from a set of plans. I showed up to do the job, saw the neighbors house on the left and across the street had the exact same pathlight and uplights specified. I talked the client into letting me change the design and fixtures (for a nominal upcharge), and I have a unique project that stands out on the block. The hard part I find about not using cookie cutter is the lead time on ordering. But I guess if I just got organized, that wouldn't be a problem.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-01-2008, 09:41 AM
It really all depends on your business model. I do a lot of building and structure mounted lighting here. I rely on a wide variety of manufacturers to supply me with product, only selecting the best lines that each manufacturer builds and the best unit for the application. Certain homes and structures require different styles and forms.

The day that one manufacturer builds 100% of their products to be the industry best in each category is the day I will consider only using one line. I don't see that day coming any time soon.

Also, in using only one line, you can pigeon hole yourself and your design ability. My client's homes are not tract homes, they each have their own style, design and flair. As such I want their lighting systems to reflect this individuality. It would not be good for Mrs. Jones to notice that every one of her friends had the same elements, used in the same manner, on their properties.

Regards.

extlights
02-01-2008, 10:19 AM
How would using one manufacturer pigeon hole yourself and your designs? The only reason I could see having to use many different brands is for a specialty path light or maybe one or 2 other specialty fixtures that would be in plain view. My designs are not compromised because of fixtures. Different lenses, fixture placement, different lamp wattages, spreads etc are all part of the final design that makes each property unique when it's finished. That's just going back to seeing the effect and not the source.

clevliteguy
02-01-2008, 11:13 AM
If I could be nosey, what is the most prevalent manufacturer that is used? I usually spec a lot of materials for new contractors and keep all the accents, paths, and transfromers from one manufacturer. I am not a big fan of PARs but if I need a well I use a different manufaturer. Just thougths from different contractors would be good to hear. Thanks!

extlights
02-01-2008, 01:28 PM
I think that you'll find that most contractors on here use different brands. That's not saying that one is better than the other. I know Paul had mentioned that he uses a lot of Kichler...we don't because they don't seem to hold up all that well in our climate and soil. That doesn't make them a bad choice to use though...they do have some nice looking lights and a good warranty. James is a big NS guy....again, it all comes down to what works the best for you and what you're happy with. As longs as it's a quality professional line with good warranties and selection...not to mention great service, you're all good.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-01-2008, 05:40 PM
It's funny, people make some interesting assumptions after hearing things I suppose. I would not generally call myself a "big Nightscaping guy" in that I am not all that large and I use about as much NS product as I do a number of other brands.

Nightscaping has their strengths. Mass customization, custom fixture development and manufacturer, insanely fast turn around and lead times, and a willingness and ability to support contractors unlike most other manufacturers. They also have their weaknesses, much like any other company. I continue to support those manufactures that create well designed, sturdy, effective and intelligent components. I am alway in the market for new and innovative products and I am always pushing all of the manufacturers that I use to improve, adapt, evolve and change.

Regards.

extlights
02-02-2008, 11:19 AM
James,

I'm just going off of what has been said in previous posts. To me it sounded like you are an avid user of NS products. I do know that you have mentioned that you also use other brands. I apologize if my assumption is wrong. The point being though, to answer clevliteguy is that there really isn't one main manufacturer out there that everyone uses. All of them have their positives and negatives and each lighting contractor should use the line(s) that work best for them and their customers.

irrig8r
02-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I tend to stick with companies whose products are reliable and whose customer service/ parts/ warranty service is too.

To date, that also means I've installed at least 90% U.S. made fixtures and transformers, mostly from Nightscaping, FX and Vista. (Over the years I've also installed a little from BK and Hadco, and specialty fixtures from a little company called Stone Manor.)

I don't think that foreign components necessarily mean a bad product, especially when you have the kind of service and attention provided from people like Joey from Unique or Steve from CAST or Doug from Coppermoon... (but I would stay away from off shore no name "manufacturers", who don't really manufacture at all.)

It's just that with the service and/or product mix I get from the first three I mentioned, I've been able to cover customer needs from the "budget conscious" to the "status consious" without any gaps.

To be honest, Nightscaping has been best with customization, FX with product reliability, and Vista with order turn-around time.