PDA

View Full Version : Landed my first pressure washing job today

bigw
01-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Went to a nursery today to look at a few things and while i was there talking to one of the guys that worked there we started to discuss what i am going to be doing and when i mentioned pressure washing he asked me if i could go look at his house and his deck and give him a price.
So i went to his house and looked and gave him a quote of $300.00 for both the house and deck,the house is 2 floors but is very clean except one wall has algie on it pretty much and the deck is a 2nd floor deck which is 5x15 ft long.I got the job so that was exciting!! I lined it up for the 2nd week of feb as long as the weather is ok.

Barry M
02-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Seriously, $300 you were excited about that? :hammerhead:

Are you sealing the deck too?

bigw
02-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Seriously, $300 you were excited about that? :hammerhead:

Are you sealing the deck too?

Well first of all it was my first job and also it is a friend of a friend and all he really wants done is the one side of the house because he just painted the other sides and they are like new.The one side has algie but not too bad and the deck is very small and no i am not sealing the deck he is. Dam the very first response to this post is a negative one and guys wonder why i get upset on here sometimes. Whats so bad about making 300.00 for this job,i dont think it will take that long to do.

Barry M
02-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Are you doing the house and deck for $300 each?

Barry M
02-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Okay, I understand now and I appologize I was jumping to conclusions. Perhaps it was the lack of description in what you were doing. It sounded like you were washing the whole house and deck. One side and just a deck wash makes more sense for $300. I won't pick on you too much for that one.

There is always just so many guys lowballing pressure washing work and bringing down the industry in which I make a living, so that's what I thought. But I was wrong, nice job.

bigw
02-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Okay, I understand now and I appologize I was jumping to conclusions. Perhaps it was the lack of description in what you were doing. It sounded like you were washing the whole house and deck. One side and just a deck wash makes more sense for $300. I won't pick on you too much for that one.

There is always just so many guys lowballing pressure washing work and bringing down the industry in which I make a living, so that's what I thought. But I was wrong, nice job.

just curious what would you have chrged "if" you were doing this entire house and the deck?

nitro121
02-01-2008, 08:28 AM
and get it according to everyone on this site. You'll find no matter where you post mowing, landscaping, seal coating.....everyone on here has started w/ 40 grand in equipment, would never think of cutting anyone a break, AND always charge high prices (even when just starting in business). :laugh:

You will get great knowledge off the board as long as you look past the BS. It seems the mowers, pressure washers, seal coaters try to protect their jobs or make them sound like rocket science by talking big equipment and fees. But all of this stuff the local homeowner can do w/ out any training....might not be as efficent as a professional guy but it will come with time....and anyone can jump in to these businesses and make good money.

Anyway...don't pay attention to all the negative stuff the board will "say" you're doing and you'll get some good info. Everyone just worries there is some other "weekend warrior" on the board, in their area, and is going to take some of the gravy jobs away from them...so you'll always hear; you don't charge enough; you need this to succeed; you're a lowballer, etc.. :rolleyes:

Peace,
Gary

Landrus2
02-01-2008, 08:30 AM
How long do you think you can finish that job by our self?:drinkup:

bigw
02-01-2008, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=joesimoes2;2128528]How long do you think you can finish that job by our self?:drinkup:[/QUOTE

If you are talking to me i think i can do this job in just alittle over an hour start to finish! That includes set up and tear down.

Barry M
02-01-2008, 03:46 PM
and get it according to everyone on this site. You'll find no matter where you post mowing, landscaping, seal coating.....everyone on here has started w/ 40 grand in equipment, would never think of cutting anyone a break, AND always charge high prices (even when just starting in business). :laugh:

You will get great knowledge off the board as long as you look past the BS. It seems the mowers, pressure washers, sealcoaters try to protect their jobs or make them sound like rocket science by talking big equipment and fees. But all of this stuff the local homeowner can do w/ out any training....might not be as efficient as a professional guy but it will come with time....and anyone can jump in to these businesses and make good money.

Anyway...don't pay attention to all the negative stuff the board will "say" you're doing and you'll get some good info. Everyone just worries there is some other "weekend warrior" on the board, in their area, and is going to take some of the gravy jobs away from them...so you'll always hear; you don't charge enough; you need this to succeed; you're a lowballer, etc.. :rolleyes:

Peace,
Gary

Gary-PWing definitely isn't rocket science but there is more to it than the average Joe realizes. I'll admit I got into it myself thinking the learning curve would be easy. I started with $4000 and a pickup truck. I researched for 4 months on the boards and called others in the industry before I did my first job. It was not as easy as I thought it was and my methods then are completely different than they are now, meaning what I thought was right was actually nowhere close. I have learned a lot in 3 years and still have a lot to learn.

I have yet to see a home owner do a comparable job cleaning their own house or deck. The illusion is they think they are doing a grand job but they really don't know any different. They use small consumer grade equipment, worthless big box store chemicals, and way too much pressure. They shred their decks to pieces, blow out their screens and force water behind their siding and they don't even realize it. It isn't rocket science but to think anyone can just pick up a wand and start making money is just wrong. I'm sure there is more to running a yard business and/or seal coating than I realize. So even though it looks easy I'm intelligent enough to know better and would never disrespect anyone that does it for a living or that "protects" the industry they make a living in.

just curious what would you have chrged "if" you were doing this entire house and the deck?

My minimum house wash job is $300. Even a small one story ranch would fall into this category. For the house you described I'd probably be around $350-$400 depending on the level of detail they wanted. My bottom dollar on decks is $450 when its a clean/seal. Just for a wash/strip I would charge $225 for that size 2nd story deck. I would of charged $75 for the one side of the house so I would of been at $300 for what's being done, again you are right on.

SW Landscape Maintenance
02-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Nitro121 you hit the nail on the head. I AGREE FULLY!!! I'm still looking to get some simple questions answered in a thread titled "NEED SOME HELP"

From one response I felt like a 12 yr old on a bike looking to start a pressure wash service. I respect everyone on this site and there are a lot of professionals and impressive web sites........but just looking for some answers. Thanks guys.:canadaflag:

sicnj
02-03-2008, 11:43 PM
there is a guy with yard signs all over my area $120 single story. Crazy Right. then i show up asking 300 looking like a jerk.

bigw
02-04-2008, 12:11 AM

You will get great knowledge off the board as long as you look past the BS. It seems the mowers, pressure washers, seal coaters try to protect their jobs or make them sound like rocket science by talking big equipment and fees. But all of this stuff the local homeowner can do w/ out any training....might not be as efficent as a professional guy but it will come with time....and anyone can jump in to these businesses and make good money.

Peace,
Gary

Tell me about it,i hear more negative crap on here then anything. No one really wants to help the new guy on here,all they want to do is talk alot of crap about how great they are and how many accounts they have and how anything you plan to do will fail.Personally im tired of the bull sht and i for one aint taking their bs anymore,so be preparied to get bashed right back from now on if you are going to be bashing on me.Its like they are so worried that you might actually succeed.I do appreciate the guys that do try to really give some good advice and try to understand that us new guys need support and not negativity all the time.I will just keep on keeping on and weed out the rift raft!

Happy Frog
02-04-2008, 01:05 AM
there is a guy with yard signs all over my area $120 single story. Crazy Right. then i show up asking 300 looking like a jerk.

There will always be someone trying to undercut your prices.
A one story house with vinyl siding should take about 50 minutes or less to wash so $120.00 is a bottom line price. You can up-sell the gutters which this guy will not be able to do right without the proper chemicals and technique (that's a given). This should bring you to $200.00 for 1h10 of work. More if you up-sell terrace, driveway, etc...
If the house is brick with mold on it, let him have it and see how long he will have to work to clean it up (without etching the brick that is :laugh:)

Knowing what you provide, and being able to explain your customer the benefits is the key to success in Power Washing.

If you have questions about this, just ask... :waving:

squirtgun
02-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Tell me about it,i hear more negative crap on here then anything. No one really wants to help the new guy on here,all they want to do is talk alot of crap about how great they are and how many accounts they have and how anything you plan to do will fail.Personally im tired of the bull sht and i for one aint taking their bs anymore,so be preparied to get bashed right back from now on if you are going to be bashing on me.Its like they are so worried that you might actually succeed.I do appreciate the guys that do try to really give some good advice and try to understand that us new guys need support and not negativity all the time.I will just keep on keeping on and weed out the rift raft!

I will help anyone who wants to learn about proper methods and pricing.I have done it time and again over the last 5 yrs.When "US" the guys that make our living pressure washing tell you or anyone else that low prices will not keep them afloat we know what we are talking about.We have literally seen as many or more pressure washing companies come and go as you have lawn companies.They all fail for the same reason.LACK OF KNOWLEGDE.
You and other don't like the pressure washing professionals giving you the cold hard facts because it's not what you want to hear.
If someone thinks the jag-off at Home Depot trying to sell them a pressure washer is an expert,think again.If the extent of their research into what pricing and proper methods entail are based on the same jag-offs advice,think again.
No one has to start out with a $20k rig to make money,but the equipment you buy will factor heavily into what types of work you can do.Cold water machines pretty much limit you to residential(homes,sidealks and driveways). A hot water skid opens the door to restaurants,banks,gas stations(commercial) plus the residential work.
Cleaning a driveway with a wand vs. a surface cleaner will eat into your bottom line.A 2.3gpm machine will do the same thing.The recommended starting point for residential work is 4gpm.Proper knowledge of what tip sizes to use to drop the PSI on a machine is another little hint that shouldn't be over looked either.Blasting the pizz out of someones vinyl house,deck or wood siding with 3000psi is not cleaning.It's vandalism.
There is a lot more to this than spraying water.I have chems on my rig that can cause serious physical injury,blindness and death,as well as,serious damage to property if not used correctly.
So you can call us riff raff if you want,but we may end up being the riff raff that save you from damaging someones property or hurting yourself.
I pressure wash,I don't cut grass that doesn't mean I discourage anyone from adding PWing as a service to their business.Just learn to do it right.

1MajorTom
02-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Well first of all it was my first job and also it is a friend of a friend and all he really wants done is the one side of the house because he just painted the other sides and they are like new.The one side has algie but not too bad and the deck is very small and no i am not sealing the deck he is. Dam the very first response to this post is a negative one and guys wonder why i get upset on here sometimes. Whats so bad about making 300.00 for this job,i dont think it will take that long to do.
Did he run out of paint for the other side? lol

You'll find that you'll get the best response if you tell the whole amount of the story the first time. Such as "he's a friend of a friend", or "i'm only cleaning one side of the house. People read what is posted, and if they don't know the full story, then they will post their opinion on the information that was given.
Imagine sitting around a bar having a beer with a bunch of guys. Do you think everyone that is sitting around the table is going to be patting you on the back, "way to go man, that's great." Or will there be guys that will say exactly what they think? This site gives everyone a wide range of opinions, some good, some bad... it's just how it is.

bigw
02-05-2008, 01:19 AM
[QUOTE=squirtgun;2135002]IYou and other don't like the pressure washing professionals giving you the cold hard facts because it's not what you want to hear.....who ever told you this? I ask because i do want to know,i simply dont want to be bashed for not knowing which often happens on here.

(Cleaning a driveway with a wand vs. a surface cleaner will eat into your bottom line.A 2.3gpm machine will do the same thing.The recommended starting point for residential work is 4gpm....I have a 4000 psi 4gpm and a surface cleaner and have done many hrs learning and being educated from the pro's not guys from home depot.

So you can call us riff raff if you want,but we may end up being the riff raff that save you from damaging someones property or hurting yourself.....I did not mean power washing guys in general i meant some people on this entire site no matter what forum it is do nothing but try to poke fun or start crap and you know im right on this too. I appreciate all the help i do get and you can ask "the cleaner" on this site how much time he has spent with me on phone calls helping me make the right decisions and giving me good advice.

bigw
02-05-2008, 01:29 AM
[QUOTE=1MajorTom;2135067]Did he run out of paint for the other side? lol...{went to his house and looked and gave him a quote of $300.00 for both the house and deck,the house is 2 floors but is very clean except one wall has algie on it}

You'll find that you'll get the best response if you tell the whole amount of the story the first time. Such as "he's a friend of a friend", or "i'm only cleaning one side of the house. You are right i could have said these things but if you go back and look i did say them shortly later in my 2nd post . Once again i appreciate all the help i do get on this site,i just dont like the guys that attack people just because they dont know as much as them.