PDA

View Full Version : What are you guy's Winter hobbies??

YardBoss Lawncare
02-01-2008, 02:55 AM
I was just wondering what all everybody does in the Winter. We don't get enough snow where im at to stay busy and I make enough mowing that I don't need to get a job or mess with the nickel and dime handyman stuff. My Winter days consist of lawnsite, myspace, tinkering in the garage, and working out/tanning at the gym. So far, (this Winter) i've built an office for the business, spit shined all of my equipment, touched up all the scratches with paint, and added expanded metal sides to my little 5x8 trailer so it's a mini landscape trailer now. I've also organized the office end of my operation such as ordered 1000 more business cards, got new signs for my truck, found a new invoice template with my logo on it, and touched base with all of my clientel to tell them happy new year.

YardBoss Lawncare
02-01-2008, 02:57 AM
I think im going to use my smaller trailer for my Tiger Cub and my bigger trailer for my field mower. That or use it to haul limbs and clippings in.

M&SLawnCare
02-01-2008, 03:15 AM
Working part time delivering pizza, lawnsite and a few other forums, various video games, and snowboarding as much as i can (5 or 6 runs to the mountain so far this year).

YardBoss Lawncare
02-01-2008, 03:17 AM
Pizzas huh? Just to keep you busy and make a little money on the side to finance those mountain trips? That's not a bad idea. You could probably pick up a lawn or two doing that as well.

lawnjockey56
02-01-2008, 07:08 AM
mowing here :)

Frue
02-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Lawnsite, myspace, and racquetball. I play a lot of racquetball. This is also my time with the family.

DixieFerris
02-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Hey pizza guy, you should bring business cards on all of your deliveries and hand them out door to door with each pie you drop off. Just an idea, since you are going door to door already, and you could also just give them to neighborhoods you want to be in.

I work at a local ski mountain 2-3 days a week either making snow or helping run their lifts and tubing park. Meanwhile I snowmobile and spend as much time with my wife and children as possible and prepare and plan for 2008

Turf Dawg
02-01-2008, 07:59 AM
I do not work as many hours as in the summer but I pretty much go all year here. The winter time is when I do alot of landscape jobs. As a matter of fact I am behind right now with spring closing in fast. Oh well it's 18 this morning so I'll wait till later to start working and do some bids.

PearceLawn
02-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Hey pizza guy, you should bring business cards on all of your deliveries and hand them out door to door with each pie you drop off. Just an idea, since you are going door to door already, and you could also just give them to neighborhoods you want to be in.

I work at a local ski mountain 2-3 days a week either making snow or helping run their lifts and tubing park. Meanwhile I snowmobile and spend as much time with my wife and children as possible and prepare and plan for 2008

I have been doing pizzas and plowing for a few years now in the off season. I actually purchased advertising on the pizza boxes at the place I deliver and they always get me a couple of new customers every year. I am kind of getting paid to advertise for myself.

fertguy2008
02-01-2008, 08:26 AM
What's winter?

mathews
02-01-2008, 09:49 AM
we stay pretty steady w leaves and rye grass, but once the ducks get here i leave it with the guys!

Rons Rightway Lawncare
02-01-2008, 10:33 AM
I am building from scratch, a new gyroplane that should hopefully be done before March when I get busy again. Been slowly working on it almost every day, cutting, drilling and bolting stuff together

Jason Rose
02-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Not doing much here at all... Kept busy in December/first part of Jan. from our ice storm. Also got to work on equipment repairs, rather early though. Went to Floida for a week (last week). Now this week I've been lazy as heck! I just can't seem to get motivated to do anything at all... Partly because I'm procrastinating getting my TAXES done. I have a mountian of crap to sort through and orginize, a good weeks worth of "office work". My head throbs just thinking about it.

I keep telling myself I need to find a real "hobby" for the winter months, but it seems like everything there is takes a LOT of money to get into. It's just cheaper for me to do nothing, lol.

Grassbuster
02-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Lawnsite, plowsite,clean, wash, vacuum, dust, lawnsite, plowsite, bake, eat, sleep, start all over again..........:cry:

MarcSmith
02-01-2008, 11:16 AM
building model boats....

my latest purchase
http://www.randen.no/images/Colin_Archer/Colin_1_large.jpg

its still in box to be built. weigh in around 20 lbs and 4-5 feet long.
I have two other boats a 36" 4 lb sail boat, and 1 meter long 10 pounder.

currently building from scratch (no kit only scaled plans) a schooner. Plank on frame construction that will be sea worthy.

all boats RC with no engine of any kind...

keeps me out of trouble.....most of the time...

John Gamba
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
I look outside. then i go into the hot tub. then i go back inside and look out again.

IN2MOWN
02-01-2008, 12:11 PM
I have 2 kids. Who has time for hobbies?

Whitey4
02-01-2008, 12:53 PM
I brew beer from scratch (buying my own barley malt, milling the grain, hops, etc) in 20 gallon batches. Great hobby, and I can make my own recipes for the types I like best. That means no tasteless lagers, like Bud or Miller.

topsites
02-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah it's just warm enough not to snow tons but cold enough to provide nothing but hard work for little money so I stay home instead. The few calls I get are almost always some type of a waste of time, every once in a moon I'll go out and go take a look like if I need an excuse to drive the car but I don't get much out of leading customers on either so ...

Lawnsite, gassavers, trukz, conquer online, work on the web site....

Lots of inside home repairs and upgrades especially in the energy consumption reduction department, totally go over and through all the vehicles and equipment repairs too.

Think of what I'm going to do different this year, then forget to write it down :laugh:

Sleep, lots of that.

SpruceLandscape
02-01-2008, 01:45 PM
up until this year we usually snowplow:cry:
Oh well. Been doing a lot of riding with my buddies on our atvs, working on toys, and hanging with my "kids" lol

SpruceLandscape
02-01-2008, 02:02 PM
more pics of the lemanns. has the 326, and just over 25k original miles, all numbers matching.

MarcSmith
02-01-2008, 02:05 PM
what a waste of the car....get out and drive it....

nice looking rides....

SpruceLandscape
02-01-2008, 02:10 PM
:laugh: with the amount of salt on the roads here from november until april, I think I'll let them stay in the garage.
They are both for sale by the way... if anyone knows of a good home...payup

IN2MOWN
02-01-2008, 02:22 PM
beautiful car spruce!

M&SLawnCare
02-02-2008, 04:27 AM
Pizzas huh? Just to keep you busy and make a little money on the side to finance those mountain trips? That's not a bad idea. You could probably pick up a lawn or two doing that as well.

Yup. I started there last march and ended up working through the summer. Very flexible hours which worked perfect to supplement my mowing, and the extra cash was nice to have. I did end up having to drive my work truck for about 2 weeks when my car broke down, and I was surprised how many people commented when they saw the door magnets and realized i was also an lco (delivering pizza in a truck with gas at 3$ per gallon gets attention lol). I thought about putting the magnets on my car but decided against it, just wouldn't look very professional imo. Anyone looking for some extra cash though I highly recommend it. Very flexible hours and it has to be the easiest job in the world, which doesn't generally pay all that bad either.

Very nice car Spruce. I have a stripped 1970 Chevelle sitting out back I really should start working on. Problem is since my garage isn't heated (and would cost a fortune to heat with propane heaters constantly, tried that last summer) after about 2 minutes of dealing with the cold i give up.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Working part time delivering pizza, lawnsite and a few other forums, various video games, and snowboarding as much as i can (5 or 6 runs to the mountain so far this year).

I see a few guys recommend giving BCs with your pizzas. My idea, print door hangers then tape them to each box or order you deliver. Use a bright color stock with a contrasting one color ink. Would be relatively inexpensive, give you more room to say what you do etc, and may land you a few customers.

Lugnut
02-02-2008, 09:28 AM
I did a couple weeks worth of tree work, 2 jobs turned into about 10 once we started working in each neighborhood. Seems like everyone has a tree they want down but just don't want to pick up the phone and actually call somebody to come do it. Once they see someone working and all they have to do is walk next door to talk to them it seems like they've got all the motivation in the world.

Anyway other than working in the winters I stay busy bowling, watching indoor quad and motorcycle races saturday nights, playing on here, and working on the race cars getting ready for the season to start in april

green with envy
02-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Same as my summer hobbies.

Playing Hockey and palying guitar....

bobcat_ron
02-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Here's mine:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=214225

lawnscapesLLC
02-02-2008, 03:47 PM
M&S where in NJ are you?

I ice climb, snowboard and work doing remodeling and plumbing as well as playing on the internet and with my cats.

M&SLawnCare
02-04-2008, 12:09 AM
I haven't given business cards out when i deliver unless they customer approaches me. I work for dominos so they would probably have an issue with promoting my business while on the clock.

Phillipsburg in Warren county. Right on the border to PA.

AI Inc
02-04-2008, 06:53 AM
update pc files, repair equit. , saddlebag snowmobile trips.

2 clowns mowing
02-04-2008, 07:19 AM
honeydo lists, paperwork, researching equipment needed, advertizing, we do snow work about once a week and brush clearing abd stump removals. wait for spring and take some days off resting. hope to travel some but new grand baby here to see. after march 15 non-stop till dec

Mscotrid
02-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Spruce, walk them dogs they have beer guts..lol. Lets see winter activity, I have to confess I'm a online game junkie playing too much COD4 right now. Starting to look like Spruce's dogs:weightlifter:

SpruceLandscape
02-04-2008, 07:18 PM
LMAO!! Actually, the one with the black mask is the perfect weight for her size and breed, she just LOOKS pregnant because of the slouchy way she sits. The other one is (believe it or not) a little on the skinny side. He should weight somewhere closer to 150lbs. like the other one, but he stays pretty lean and is usually around 135-140lbs.

Mscotrid
02-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Spruce the one on the left is a Mastif? On the right looks like a Pitbull, am I right?

BanvilleLawnCare
02-04-2008, 09:59 PM
snowboarding and hockey. The hockey gets real good once the pond freezes over.:)

SpruceLandscape
02-04-2008, 10:10 PM
one on the left is a male French Mastiff, the one on the right is a female Bull Mastiff.

Mscotrid
02-05-2008, 11:24 AM
I was correct on one. I was meaning your left, which was wrong shouldve said my right. The male has a look of a Pitbull imo. Good looking members of your family though. I run,hunt with a Chocolate Lab, damm thing eaten me out of house and home.

SLR
02-05-2008, 02:43 PM
I run,hunt with a Chocolate Lab, damm thing eaten me out of house and home.
------------------
Dogs are worth every cent of it though IMHO..mine are really putting on the winter fat,going to have to slowly break them back in come summer,they look erily similar to the posted pics of mastiffs.

SpruceLandscape
02-05-2008, 03:25 PM
We quit feeding ours regular dog food about 4 years ago. We were spending easily $150/month on food that left MASSIVE piles in the back yard!
We switched to feeding them raw chicken necks and chicken backs that we buy in bulk from a butcher down the road. They have become much healthier, only costs us about $72/month to feed them, and the best part is I haven't had to pick up their crap since we switched! there is hardly any to begin with since they digest I would guess better than 80% of their food, and it ends up turning to dust and blowing away within a few days! (sorry for anyone that was eating while reading this post :laugh:).
We usually go through about 120 Lbs. of food a month now.