PDA

View Full Version : K2500 Pinion seal replacement - is it a big job?

zz4guy
02-01-2008, 10:57 AM
I've got a 1992 K2500 that is leaking next to the pinion seal. Anybody know
if it is worth it to replace this yourself? Is it a major project?

Most shops quoted just around $120 including materials. If this is an entire day's project I'll let a shop do it.

Gravel Rat
02-01-2008, 01:21 PM
It depends is this truck a 4x4 ? if its a 4x4 front or rear pinion seal.

Also what rear end do you have in the truck Chevy had the semi floating 14bolt. Another thing to keep in mind if you don't get the proper pinion preload you will wear out your axle gears. If you don't have the tools take it to a shop. A axle shop would be the best they will have the stuff to repair it. They work on axles all day long. A seal that failed is a sign that the pinion is walking around it maybe time for new bearings.

zz4guy
02-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Yes it's a 4x4. I'm talking about the rear axle. Semifloating 14 bolt.

The truck has 250,000 miles so maybe it is time for new bearings. I do have a stain guage to measure preload.

Gravel Rat
02-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Semi floating rear axles are horrible. If you were going to put money into it changing the diff bearings I would find a full float 14 bolt its a easy swap.

Another problem that the seal is leaking is the axle vent not working properly.

If the seal is leaking the crush sleeve is prolly worn out so now the pinion splines might be banged up from the yoke.

Landrus2
02-01-2008, 09:28 PM
This is a quick fix if you have the right tools.:drinkup:

backhoe1
02-01-2008, 09:34 PM
with 250k I would throw new seal in, zip nut tight with impact and see if it works. $120 or $10 which sounds better?

PlatinumLandCon
02-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Gravel rat, whats the difference betweek the semi floating and full floating? What does that mean anyways? I have a chevy so I'm trying to learn everything I can :drinkup:

Gravel Rat
02-02-2008, 02:33 AM
A semi floating rear axle is basically a light duty axle. The axle shafts ride on a wheelbearing on each end of the axle tube. The axle shafts bear the weight of the truck and have to turn the wheels. Full floating axle is a axle with bearing assemblies on each end of the axle which supports the truck. The axle shaft supports no weight just turns the wheels.

The big problem with the semi floating axles is if you snap a shaft your wheel passes you while you drive down the freeway :laugh:

Chevy used to do stupid things like putting a semi-floating 8 bolt rear axle in a SRW truck and call it a Heavy Duty. A 3/4 ton truck should come with a full floating rear axle regardless. Ford used to use a 10.25 semi floating axle in the F-250s they called the trucks F-250LD. They did that in the early 80s to the brick Fords I think in 92 they stopped that.

Anyhow ya you can change the pinion seal yourself but if you do it wrong then you may end up spending 1000 bucks for a new gear set.

IA_James
02-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Anyhow ya you can change the pinion seal yourself but if you do it wrong then you may end up spending 1000 bucks for a new gear set.

Yeah, screwing this one up is pretty expensive, for $120 I'd just take it into the shop.

zz4guy
02-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Got it done last night. Wasn't bad at all. I had to drill some holes in a long piece of steel to hold the yoke from turning to remove it. The worste part was seperating the U-joint because it was rusted to the yoke pretty good.

The seal was $17 so now I can go blow $80 on something else :)