PDA

View Full Version : Tunnels

RM n WS
02-01-2008, 12:09 PM
I have 3 yards that have been showing tunnels just under the surface of the turf. The ground is becoming very soft but I have not seen any visible discoloration of the fescue. I live in central NC and have many ideas of what this is but I would like to hear from professionals who know. Please help!

tbrom
02-01-2008, 02:21 PM
There are many yards in my neighborhood that have the same problem. My answer is your area is infested with MOLES as we are. Good luck on trying to eliminate them!

summitlawncare
02-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Defintiely sounds like moles. The best product for mole control is Talpirid. YOU can get it at Lesco. It is about $75/box. And there are 20 baits in a box. THere was a thread on here a couple of days ago, called "mole control". I would explain to you how Talpirid is applied but it is a lengthy process. SOmeone was kind enough to type it out step by step. It is a very effective product if applied correctly. Try it for sure. If you cant find that thread, go to google and search talpirid and it gives you info and instructions on there on how to use it.

LushGreenLawn
02-01-2008, 07:09 PM
If the holes are too small to be from moles, you may have mole crickets.

landgator
02-01-2008, 11:24 PM
You can't use Talpirid. in NC. I was told that this week.

garydale
02-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Do a search on this site.

bug-guy
02-02-2008, 01:19 PM
send a picture

redbuckcavs
02-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I just had a box of Taliprid shipped to me from Lesco & $106.00 ( here we go again with the different Lesco pricing structure:hammerhead:)

garydale
02-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Go online and order direct from Talprid.

Victor
02-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I just had a box of Taliprid shipped to me from Lesco & $106.00 ( here we go again with the different Lesco pricing structure:hammerhead:)

:laugh: Good one Red. I love it!

bug-guy
02-03-2008, 04:09 PM
red
if you paid that much i would check it out that product retails @lesco/jdl for 64.00 without tax and shipping(retail is the most that can be charged you can't go any higher if you wanted to.

Atlantic Lawn
02-04-2008, 07:46 PM
It's unlawful to poison or otherwise try to kill moles in the state of NC. One or two moles are on the protected species list, and since you really can't tell which one of the little critters you may be killing till it's too late, they decided that all will get a life sentence rather than a capitol punishment. Talprid which works very well can not be sold to an NC applicator or resident, legally. If you took the chance and did the treatment and the homeowner got pissed at you because of what you charged or lack of miracle results all he would have to do is turn you in and by by license. Not worth it. You could possibly act as a consultant for a hypothetical, out of state problem . There are legal ways around the removal of moles, but it's involved. Moles are classified as wild, nongame animals under North Carolina laws. No hunting or trapping seasons are set up for these animals, and they are subject to all applicable state laws and regulations. This means you can not kill a mole without requesting and receiving a permit from the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission. The reason is that several species of moles are becoming dangerously low in numbers, so the NCWRC moved to protect all mole species.Good Luck !!

RM n WS
02-05-2008, 06:38 AM
Steve thanks for the information. That is what I have read from the extension office in winston-salem. I will take a different approach to the problem. Do you know what is attracting the moles? Perhaps I can get rid of that instead.

Atlantic Lawn
02-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Well there are several factors that help lure the little guys. Grubs and earthworms are some of their favorite foods as you know by now.So you can treat for grubs, that's a start. I also found yards that are a bit on the moist side seem to have created a little better habitat. Reduce your water a bit if it's an irrigated property. Homeowners can do way more to trap/poison moles than we can. I doubt anyone would come after them for setting traps. As an Applicator your hands are pretty much tied in the state of NC.

RigglePLC
02-05-2008, 09:25 AM
There are a number of mole chasing solutions that probably do not work. (But maybe you can get paid for using them just the same.) Castor oil solutions, ultrasonic niose makers, yellow propellors, moth balls, predator urine, mole chasing plants(Euphorbia lathyrus), sharp stuff in the tunnels (rose branches, ground glass, carpet tacks), red pepper powders, natural enemies (like ferrets, weasals, dogs, cats, badgers, skunks, foxes). The list goes on...

Or...maybe you can just slide a rattlesnake down the hole...LOL.

summitlawncare
02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
this is pretty funny (and/or really stupid). talked to a client of mine that is a welder. he had a mole problem in his backyard, so he brougt home a tank of argon gas, ran a hose into on of the mounds, turned on the gas and then stuck his torch and lit it. fire shot out the other end of the tunnel. apparently the tunnel was active b/c he claimed after he did this, no more tunnels or mounds appeared!!! just thought I would share.....

Russ
02-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Or...maybe you can just slide a rattlesnake down the hole...LOL.

Would that be considered Organic Mole Control???:)

br549oicu8
02-05-2008, 01:29 PM
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/talpirid-mole-bait.htm