PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get one of these?

BIGBEN2004
02-01-2008, 11:59 AM
I signed on another forums page but I am not allowed to post anything up their..:confused: I don't know why. On that page allot of people talking about these excavators but I have never seen one in the States. Are they sold in the USA? If so how much does the price range on them? They look like they could do some extreme excavating in some very rough terrains to work on. Basically I am saying " I WANT ONE ":cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NN8snGo4V4&feature=related

bobcat_ron
02-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Contact Brain Hay over on Heavy Equipment Forums, he's got one that he just bought.

http://spyderhoesolutions.ca/

BIGBEN2004
02-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Thank you. How come I cant post any messages up over their on Heavy Equipment? I signed up and have access now but it wont allow me to post.

bobcat_ron
02-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Give it time, they have a really weird set up there, took me a day to get access, and then you can only respond to 10 threads with just posts, then you can start making new threads. Very unusual, some forums so that to prevent spammers.

Scag48
02-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure what Brian Hay paid for his, but they had to ship it from Europe. However, it has 4,000 hours and was refurbished by the manufacturer and is in like-new condition.

RockSet N' Grade
02-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Scag/Cascade Landscape ( :) ) do you know what Brian paid for his machine?

BIGBEN2004
02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
I would like to know also. Even for a used and rebuilt one I am curious. I would imagine that since they are a specialty item they probably do into the 6 digits fast.

ksss
02-01-2008, 04:14 PM
I would like to know also. Even for a used and rebuilt one I am curious. I would imagine that since they are a specialty item they probably do into the 6 digits fast.

I imagine that it only gets up a good head of steam at 100K. It has to be maintainance intesive, parts?

BIGBEN2004
02-01-2008, 04:22 PM
That is true but they say they are tough and you buy one you never get rid of it. The problem would be parts. Cant just drive down to the local dealer for them since I dont even know where one is.

Brian Hay
02-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi Guys!
Great looking site you have here. Thanks for posting the link to me Ron. I spotted it in the stats for my site and followed it here. I added a link on my links page in my forums to here, I'm sure lots of my members and visitors will like this site as well.

If it's my forum you are referring to that you had problems with I'm sorry about that. It should be ok now. Someone has been messing with it on me lately. I have to temporarily make it members only for a little while until I ether learn more about forum security or find someone to help me with that. So you may have to register before you can see the whole site...sucks I don't want it that way.

This is who I got my machine from kaiserexcavators.com
He is well connected all over and can find what you need (or point you to someone who can in your area). There is a U.S dealer but I forget who they are at the moment. I will hunt them down later and post the link for you. I want to find it to link them to my site as well.

I'm kinda pressed for time right now but I just wanted to stop in and say a quick hello. If any of you guys want to email me to pick my brain your welcome to. I will stop back in here again as well when I have more time.

Construct'O
02-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Welcome Brain !
Glad to see you found another forum to spend the rest of your extra spare time on:rolleyes:.Post away:usflag:

Scag48
02-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Welcome aboard, Brian :drinkup:

bobcat_ron
02-02-2008, 05:17 PM
We like picture posting sluts here!

Brian Hay
02-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi Construct'O thanks for the welcome! ....I'm not happy I found another forum :laugh: I don't have any free time anymore but somehow I still manage to make time for the forums I attend. This one looks cool, I can see it eating up a lot of my time. I get in using my cell phone though so I can still go about my business and just peek in once in a while when I have a few minutes.

Brian Hay
02-02-2008, 05:22 PM
You guys are quick lol 2 more welcomes while I was posting my last message. Thanks for the welcome everyone!

bobcat_ron
02-02-2008, 05:24 PM
How 'bout another to bump this welcome up!?!?!

Brian Hay
02-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I just got your pm on that other site Ron. I haven't heard from BigBen I hope my email settings aren't to strict and thats why. I better check on that, never know who else I'm missing then. Ben your welcome to use any of the contact info on my contacts page to give me a call if you want to. Be happy to help you out if I can.

BIGBEN2004
02-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Hey Brian glad to see you here. I still can't post on Heavy Equipment. Anyways I first gotta say I love that machine of yours. I could never afford one or really don't need one but still that thing is awesome. What is a price range on those things? I know they make allot of different models but what is a general price they range in? I know you bought yours used and refurbished but how is it running? Have you got as good as some people on youtube are yet? How many different controls are in the cab to tilt, extend, level, and run all the different legs and such? Well I don't want to ask too many questions at once at you so hopefully you will chime in.

Brian Hay
02-04-2008, 02:36 AM
Hi Ben, new they are around $280,000 base price. A good used one is an easy $100,000 by the time you get it here and get a couple of buckets. I haven't had mine long so I don't have a lot of hours in on it yet but sofar it runs like a new machine. When I get a chance I will get some videos of me on it and post them. It has regular Cat controls, 6 extra buttons on each joystick, 4 more bellow the left one and two more bellow the right. Three pedals and an extra level on the right used for steering it when your roading. I have a bunch of pictures here and will be adding a bunch more soon. There are a couple of shots inside the cab but they aren't very good. I will take some better ones
http://spyderhoesolutions.ca/forums/index.php?action=gallery

tnmtn
02-04-2008, 04:15 AM
not sure how hard it would be to import from canada. but here is one.
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6207739&GUID=0140D0C17565489987DC3E1ABF132FBB

BIGBEN2004
02-04-2008, 04:14 PM
I told the wife to add one of those things to the "When I win the Lottery" wish list. Hopefully one day I will get the chance to run one just to see how they are. It would be good to own one around here so that I could do all those jobs on the sides of extreme slopes that no one is able to do because of the location a machine would have to work in would be too steep. I still think I would be a little uneasy on some of the slopes I have seen them working on in those pictures.

Scag48
02-04-2008, 04:38 PM
I ran a Schaeff HS40 like the one that's for sale on MachineryTrader when I was 11 or 12, a good friend of mine back home had 2 of them. He made a ton of money with them.

RockSet N' Grade
02-04-2008, 07:18 PM
And that leads me to: What's an hourly rate for one of those?

Scag48
02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
A lot. My buddy had a lot of contract work with the state doing stream rebuilding and light impact forestry work. He also contracted with Doppelmayr and other ski lift manufacturers to dig footing pads for ski lifts. His Schaeffs went everywhere in the west, I've even seen photos of one of them chained to the bottom of the tram at Snowbird catching a ride to the top. When he was doing shoreline improvements for contractors and homeowners back home (town sits at the base of a lake, houses line 25 miles of it) I'm sure he was getting at least $130/hr for it 10 years ago. This day and age a machine like that should be fetching at least $160 an hour, you're doing things nobody else can do.

The machines are a kick in the @$$ to run, there's so much flexibility at your fingertips. Extendable sticks, hydraulic thumbs, offset booms, my buddy's even had a stick mounted winch. They're a ridiculously challenging machine to completely master, there's just so many different ways to manipulate the machine. I probably spent 30 minutes dinking around with one when I was really young, but I'll never forget that day. What a sweet machine the spyders are.

Fieldman12
02-04-2008, 07:55 PM
I know Terex has a spider walking one that I watched on Youtube.

BIGBEN2004
02-04-2008, 10:03 PM
I know Terex has a spider walking one that I watched on Youtube.
If you can please post it up on here so we can see.:clapping:

P.Services
02-04-2008, 11:08 PM
what kind of jobs would you want one of those for over a tracked machine??

Scag48
02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Anything over 1:1, climbing down retaining walls, working in streams/rivers, I could think of 1,000 jobs to do with a machine like that around here.

tnmtn
02-05-2008, 12:56 AM
i checked with local terex dealer and was told they are not importing them into the U.S. i believe they bought out schaff and have relabeled them. maybe after the dust settles from the buy out they will bring them here.
good luck,

Scag48
02-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Terex bought out Schaeff years ago, I'm surprised that Terex still isn't making them available in the US.

Brian Hay
02-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey guys I'm posting from cell phone so I will be a little brief but

Were do they work best:
Anywhere, even on flat ground they are faster then a track hoe for a couple of different reasons. One being you don't have to spend any time fixing the ground you are sitting on to help keep the machine stable. Even with a full bucket fully extented there is no 'rocking' action. Power, my big digging bucket is deep tall and 3 feet wide. Capacity is far greater then a normal machine the same size and it handles it effortlessly.

Steep slopes:
I feel comfortable with it on a 1.5:1 slope no prob without a winch and you can get the optional winch that mounts to the undercarriage to use just like a spider uses its web. The winch that mounts on the boom is for using it as a crane.

In the water:
I'm good to 6 feet and have fully biodegradable hydraulic fluid and grease.

Other things:
The list of attachments is huge. You can get feller bunchers, proccesor heads, mowers, mulchers, grapple buckets, drills...there is a list about a mile long.

Rates:
Most are between $175 and $200 an hour and some are as high as $250. If they are using an expensive attachment that gets added on.

Terex-Shaeff
http://www.terex-schaeff.com/english/produkte_schreitbagger.htm
In my humble opinion they screwed up. The Terex machines are actually Kaiser with white paint. Built in the same factory and are identicle. They sold them with the Terex name for a short time in North America but failed to make them take off. They added a rediculous markup and anyone who did their homework went directly to Kaiser instead of them. I tried to deal with them but could not get any info from anyone I found to talk to....then I found Kaiser. I think Terex could have had a really good thing going had they put in a little effort.

I added a bunch of links on my website last nite to Spyder Hoe stuff and will be adding more when I get time
spyderhoesolutions.ca

wow, was going to be brief but ended up writing a book lol

BIGBEN2004
02-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Good to hear from ya. Hopefully one day they can make a go at it again in the US. I think they could dominate the market for a replacement of track hoes and mini excavators in many situations.

Fieldman12
02-05-2008, 09:14 PM
When I have my high speed this weekend I will try to find the Youtube video of the Terex and post it.

BIGBEN2004
02-05-2008, 09:38 PM
When I have my high speed this weekend I will try to find the Youtube video of the Terex and post it.

Yea I would like to see it. I have tried to find it but have had no luck. I enjoy watching these machines working especially on steep terrains.:weightlifter: I know they can do it but it would still scare the bejesus out of me.:dizzy:

Brian Hay
02-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey guys, I haven't been in for a while because I have been extemely busy but I have the weekend off so I stopped in to post some pics of what I have been up to. I didn't get many while I was in the seat of course but on Friday Domenic Frei a Supervisor from another area for the contracor we are subbing for stopped in. He used to be a Spyder Hoe Operator in Switzerland and really misses it so I handed over the controls, got some great pictures and did some learning from an expert. All the pictures with the operator wearing Orange are him. BTW attachment size limits here are awsome :cool2:

bobcat_ron
02-17-2008, 03:44 PM
I'll bet it's real handly having that foreman on the job, you can take a long coffee beak and he can go yell at himself about how to do the job!

Brian Hay
02-17-2008, 03:45 PM
And some more :cool2:

Brian Hay
02-17-2008, 03:49 PM
More? ..ok :D

Brian Hay
02-17-2008, 04:02 PM
He just stopped in for the day from another area. The contractor we are working with is huge http://hazcoenv.com/
He is a great guy and we both really enjoyed the day. It was nice to have the oportunity to do some learning from an expert and he was happy to be back in the seat for a day.

Brian Hay
02-17-2008, 04:33 PM
I can't believe I didn't think to post this link sooner http://www.menzimuck.com/index-en.html
If you want to see videos explore that site, they have TONS of videos of Spyder Hoes in every different application.

cddva
02-17-2008, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Hay;2131330]

This is who I got my machine from kaiserexcavators.com
He is well connected all over and can find what you need (or point you to someone who can in your area).

Looks like KSSS has been holding out on us here!!:laugh:

Brian Hay
02-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Here are a few shots from yesterday with me in the seat. I handed my camera to one of the laborers and he got some good shots. I'm off for a few days now until a some obstacles get moved out of our way...maybe parked until Monday :cry: I would really like to find something else to do in Victoria until then but without having our own truck to move it I would hate for them to be ready for me and not be able to find a ride back right away.

BIGBEN2004
02-19-2008, 05:53 PM
What are you doing their? It looks mighty rocky. How does that machine hold on to the rocks when placed on a steep slope like that? That is a big boat in the back ground of the first picture.

Brian Hay
02-19-2008, 07:15 PM
It's a contaminated site excavation on the Naval base. There used to be a big incinerator there and all the ash was dumped over the edge. Now we have to clean it off of the bedrock and truck it away. I have to be extremely careful, the rock is really slippery. One mistake and I go tumbling a LOOONG ways down to the ocean. It's a cool place to work, the scenery is incredible and I love seeing all the big ships. The one in the back ground is a new ferry that will start running this spring between the main land a Vancouver Island. It's the largest double ended ferry in the world.

RockSet N' Grade
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Brian, is your machine equiped with rototilt and what size bucket is that? Beautiful machine......

tnmtn
02-19-2008, 07:24 PM
any way to rig a winch that could be controlled from the cab as a safety line?

RockSet N' Grade
02-19-2008, 07:35 PM
tnmtn: I have looked over their website and they do have winches that are available to mount on those rascals. Looks to me, it would be handy if not a necessary "piece of mind" addition......unless you were into sky diving or cliff jumping.

Brian Hay
02-19-2008, 08:03 PM
We have a powertilt but no rototilt yet. The digging bucket is 1 meter (3 feet) wide and cleanup is 1.2 wide.

Our machine is plummbed for a winch and we want to get one as soon as cash flow allows. Sure would be great to have on this job. There is 2 buttons on the left joystick to control it.

stuvecorp
02-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Cool pics, Brian. Nice 'toy'!

Construct'O
02-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Brain hurry up and get that cash flooooing !!!!!!!!! Your going to need that winch ,plus that truck for moving like we talked about.

Great pictures :cool2:as usual !!!!!

Work safe:usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
02-19-2008, 08:45 PM
any chance of some interior cab shots? your machine looks super clean for the hours on 'er.