PDA

View Full Version : winter fertilizers

handyzac
02-01-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm somewhat of a newbie to landscape maintenance I live in southern california and i'm looking for a fertilizer for tall fescue grass that will green up my lawns in the colder months.

summitlawncare
02-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Try some ammonium sulfate (21-0-0 w/ sulfur). Make sure you tell your customers to keep it watered though. That should work well for you.

handyzac
02-01-2008, 05:20 PM
is there any particular brand that is recommended

summitlawncare
02-01-2008, 06:14 PM
i like to use N-Rich from APF (American Plant Food Corp.) I get mine at Lesco, you might contact your local fert. rep and see if you can get that brand out there, or maybe they can reccommend another brand

Triple R
02-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Try this fert http://www.simplot.com/turf/best/products.cfm?content=products&prodid=45&cat=1

It has been working very well in central CA and I believe our temps get a little colder here. Results have been very lush dark green turf. The drawback is the price has gone up to over $20 a bag then again all fert is up. I also like to use their Super Turf during the warm weather but that one is nearing $30 a bag. I'll try and post some pics of the results tomorrow if I remember to take my camera with me.

Here's a pic from a few years ago. The Fescue lawn had been re-seeded during the fall.

handyzac
02-06-2008, 10:52 AM
man that looks fantastic. I'm not too familiar with the best practices of over seeding. I'm not even going to ask how you got that so perfect but could you give me some hints on how to get such consistent seed coverage and germination. I really wouldn't know where to start?