PDA

View Full Version : In-ground Trans.

Mayor_tx
02-01-2008, 03:39 PM
How's it going everyone?

I was curious who has used an in-ground transformer lately, and what brand they used. How has it held up? Any problems or issues? I'd appreciate any info or feedback.

Ya'll have a good weekend and don't work too hard!

Joel Mayor

Texas Outdoor Lighting

Pro-Scapes
02-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Since Burt is probably busy I will chime in. Burt and I installed 3 hadcos in a row on a beachside project. They are nice and compact but left a bit to be desired inside for wiring room. They perform as they should and no problems yet to date and its been over a year now.

Unique has a line as well that looks pretty slick and I might just be getting one for next project depending on if I can hide an above ground or just run a couple of lines out that far. Ingrounds can be a major pita and you need to break the seal every time you open em which takes several minutes with a cordless drill to remove the dozen or so screws holding the lid down.

Look to unique or hadco for your direct burials or if possible post mount a trans and place plantings in front of it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I am not ready just now as I don't have the full line of spec sheets and what not, but, soon, I will provide you all with the details for a very new, very innovative, remarkable and revolutionary new power management system. The new Qscape system by Qtran is based around a fantastic new cassette transformer system that fits into a completely new in ground vault system.

Stay tuned.

Eden Lights
02-01-2008, 04:29 PM
I would say if you do alot of them or this job has a few transformers, take the time to check out and find the qtran units. This will take some time and effort and they are $$$. So if it's just a couple of units the hadco unit is excellent and will be little or no effort. I have the new Qtran unit and It's like nothing I have seen in our industry as far a design and build quality is concerned.

JoeyD
02-01-2008, 04:37 PM
http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/Subterranean_Transformer.htm

I am confident that we make one of the best if not the best most proven Subterranean units around. Completely potted and water proofed on the TF side. The wiring compartment is large and allows for you to drill out any size conduit you want to run. It comes with all you will need to install except conduit. Also includes a pack of paraffin wax for melting to seal your connections in. I have some tricks to installing these units if you decide to try one out.

Joey D.

JoeyD
02-01-2008, 04:54 PM
How's it going everyone?

I was curious who has used an in-ground transformer lately, and what brand they used. How has it held up? Any problems or issues? I'd appreciate any info or feedback.

Ya'll have a good weekend and don't work too hard!

Joel Mayor

Texas Outdoor Lighting

Joel. You should contact Scott jackson at Goya Lighting in AUstin. You could probably swing by and check out one of my Direct Burail units. He has some in stock.

PM, Email, or Call me and I can get you his contact info.

Mayor_tx
02-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Gentlemen,

I appreciate all of the info, you have definitely helped me out a lot. Joey, I already called Goya and I'm going to head over there on Monday. The 840DB looks like a winner. I can't wait to try that bad boy out!

Take care and thanks again,

Joel

JoeyD
02-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Joel, when installing plan on using a valve box with some P Gravel to surround it. Gives it a clean look and added drainage. Plus it prevents people from directly walking on the unit if you decide to burry it to grade which most installers do.

Let me know if you have any questions!!

Joey D.

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
02-03-2008, 11:01 AM
I was going to ask about in ground but you took the words out of my mouth. I have a client who has five + in his yard then he has a separate photo box and another separate timer. I popped it open and it was filled with water. He was not home but claims that it works. Probably not very well. here are the pics. looking at selling him on a new system. pic are to big I will work on this one.

Pro-Scapes
02-03-2008, 11:17 AM
ingrounds are at risk for water ingestion just like an ingrade fixture.

You cant just slap em in a soupy poor drained area and on top of that I doubt alot of guys are sealing them up right either with encapsulant gel like the hadcos or wax (which I have never tired) from unique. Unsure how the qtrans does it .

pete scalia
02-03-2008, 12:28 PM
ingrounds are at risk for water ingestion just like an ingrade fixture.

You cant just slap em in a soupy poor drained area and on top of that I doubt alot of guys are sealing them up right either with encapsulant gel like the hadcos or wax (which I have never tired) from unique. Unsure how the qtrans does it .

In ground transformer = TROUBLE

Pro-Scapes
02-03-2008, 04:39 PM
In ground transformer = TROUBLE

Better than the power center I found in a valve box lol. Avoid em in you can. Look around for a tree or other plantings to hide your boxes behind before you go in ground. I have even installed azaleas in an area to hide them