PDA

View Full Version : CDL's...whos got one and what did you learn with?

Dirt Digger2
02-01-2008, 03:41 PM
since it looks like everyone has so much time on their hands with the slow down...who has a CDL? what did you learn on? what do you drive now

...i'll start, I started learning on a 6 speed L8000 ford tank truck, that thing is like driving a little sports car...then i moved to a F800 with a backhoe trailer and 5-2 tranny, then moved to a twin-stick Mack 10 wheeler, when that truck started to split its double frame it got turned into a on site haul truck and we got a Pete 10 wheeler dump with a 10 speed road ranger...that took some getting use to, then we got a brand new Pete 10 speed tanker truck...all of which i drive now

i have the Class A, air brake, and tanker endorsement...but i was also thinking of getting my passenger endorsement and while i am taking that test get the doubles/triples as well...what do you guys think? I would get HazMat too but i don't feel like shelling out $70 for something i probably wont ever use

ksss
02-01-2008, 03:45 PM
I got my B with a 33K single axle and my A with 378 Pete and Circle R side dump. It was a bit of step up.

BrandonV
02-01-2008, 04:00 PM
when i bought my tree spade i didnt have a cdl yet, but drove it around pretty much learned that way, took the test and been alright since.

RockSet N' Grade
02-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Class A........learned in a bobtail and then tandem dump. Took my test in some old Lake City International rental truck with no power steering and so many gears my left leg started to shake from all the clutching.....I had almost completely wiped that from my memory until you brought it up.....it is slowly coming to the surface now....

BIGBEN2004
02-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Class A took the test with a 98 Freightliner and 36' flat bed trailer. All I can remember was being very nervous but past all parts first try.

bobcatexc
02-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Grew up drivin small trucks and trailers, decided when I was 21-22 to get my class A CDL just in case I ever needed them. The biggest trucks I had ever driven was our single axle dump trucks and 12,000lb tilt trailer. Passed my written test no problem, went down to take driving test with just the experience I described. Rented the school's Freightlighter with a H pattern and 40-50' something box trailer for 100-150 bucks passed the obstacle coarse with no problem went out on the road and did find (beside stupid H pattern) until I got to a right hand turn and hit the curb with back trailer tire, automatic fail. Went back a week or two later with no practice and passed with flying colors. I have occasionlly use my CDL with past two employers for drivin Tri-axle or Lowboy, but mainly operate. People always freak out when taking the test, but I think it's common since that applies to your pickup and utility trailer only on a bigger scale.

BIGBEN2004
02-01-2008, 04:39 PM
http://webmail.aol.com/34032/aol/en-us/Mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.18862443&folder=New+Mail&partId=2

Not sure how to post pictures but this is my new avator and I figured since it is cat related some might enjoy. This was the OCC bike built for Cat and was on display at the open house at ALBAN CAT in Baltimore. Not a bad picture from a camera phone I might add.

Oops sorry guys I put this in the total wrong place. Still a good picture.

Dirt Digger2
02-01-2008, 04:56 PM
when i took my test the instructor said "if i look as nervous as you its because you are the first person i have ever given a CDL test to" HAHA...i passed with only 1 "mark" and that was because i forgot the compressor build up rate. The cones course was the hardest part...straight line pull forward, straight line backing, then i had to parallel park the SOB!! i managed to do it without having to pull forward at all though, i got lucky...and i'm not even 21 years old yet

NateV
02-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Hey im only 18 and got my A with an 98 freightliner and a 42ft flat bed about a month ago. On my test i only got a point off for doing a pull up on the parallel park because i let the trailer walk too far back in the box.

Dirt Digger2
02-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Hey im only 18 and got my A with an 98 freightliner and a 42ft flat bed about a month ago. On my test i only got a point off for doing a pull up on the parallel park because i let the trailer walk too far back in the box.

good for you man...i have had my permit since i was 18 but never had a chance to take the test until a little while ago...i should have got the license when i was 18 or 19, it would have made my paycheck a little nicer anyway

NateV
02-01-2008, 05:40 PM
good for you man...i have had my permit since i was 18 but never had a chance to take the test until a little while ago...i should have got the license when i was 18 or 19, it would have made my paycheck a little nicer anyway

Thanks....didnt your permit expire after 1 yr though?

BIGBEN2004
02-01-2008, 05:41 PM

Where did you take your test at? I took mine in Frederick. I hear some MVA's down in Montgomery Co. can be almost impossible to pass.
I like to go to the MVA in Hagerstown, in and out in minutes no matter what you need. They are so fast up their it is worth the drive. I had to get some tags and title switched over to my name recently and was sitting at the MVA in Frederick for about an hour. I knew they wouldn't call my number for a while so I left and drove straight to Hagerstown and was in and out in about 10 minutes.

ASCHAL45
02-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I took mine in a international bucket truck with a 30 foot tag along easy as pie I had the same problem dirt digger had. Got my permit right out of high school then never had a chance to take the test till a lil over a yr ago

bobcat_ron
02-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I did my Air brake course on a weekend in Feb '07, drove my brother's sexy Pete with the AutoShift and got my Class 1 in Oct '07, passed with flying colors and the tester said that was one of the best trucks he's ever tested in and wished they were all like that. Only problem is now the restriction on my DL, I'm only allowed to drive AutoShift or Automatics, not sure how this relates to the smaller vehicles and manual trannies, but time will tell.
As of now I have only gotten 2 hours of solo driving, big whoopee.

BIGBEN2004
02-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Well bobcat ron what so you think of my avator. It is the Orange County Choppers Cat bike they built. If you go back a page I have a link up to full size it. A man who enjoys Cat will enjoy that picture.

Dirt Digger2
02-01-2008, 06:58 PM
NateV- i had to go back to the DMV and renew my permit by taking all my tests again

BigBen- I am took my test in Reading PA

bobcat ron- Auto-shifts are for girls...or even worse...CAT fans...HAHA:laugh:

bobcat_ron
02-01-2008, 08:22 PM
bobcat ron- Auto-shifts are for girls...or even worse...CAT fans...HAHA:laugh:

Well at least my right arm can still perform it's "marital duties" in bed after a long day driving!!!!!! http://www.p1x44r.com/smiles/tardwave.gif

Dirt Digger2
02-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Well at least my right arm can still perform it's "marital duties" in bed after a long day driving!!!!!! http://www.p1x44r.com/smiles/tardwave.gif

hahahah...the joys of not being married and being in college...they never say no so i never have to use the right arm anymore so i can afford to tire it out driving

Scag48
02-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm a Cat fan and hate autos, what do you have to say to that? :laugh:

I'm going to get my CDL soon, almost went to test and get my permit, should have just haven't had the time. My union offers CDL training at the grounds, pretty sweet deal. It'll get me all the practice I need with a truck and I bet I could talk my buddy into letting me borrow his Pete 379 and tag trailer for the test.

Gravel Rat
02-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I have had my air endorsement since 97 and had my class 3 98. For me to upgrade to a class 1 isn't a priority for me. I have no desire to go 18 wheeling there isn't any money in it. Driving gravel truck is good enough. If I went to the same driving school I went to, to upgrade my 3 to 1 is 2100 dollars. To get a class 1 at a driving school if you never been in a truck before is 10,300 dollars but that includes job placement.

I have no restrictions on my license besides I need glasses. Having the restriction of only able to drive trucks with automatic transmissions isn't good. If you get caught by the RCMP driving a truck with a regular manual transmission like a 13-18spd you will get a fine.

When you go for a CDL in B.C. you have to go to the doctor and get a physical so it is bend over and cough :laugh:

The last time I had to go get my DL renewed the gov't had their handout I had to pay for a medical fee but didn't have to get a medical. That was 100 and something dollars plus another 50 dollars for a DL renew :rolleyes:

bobcat_ron
02-01-2008, 10:54 PM
I have had my air endorsement since 97 and had my class 3 98. For me to upgrade to a class 1 isn't a priority for me. I have no desire to go 18 wheeling there isn't any money in it. Driving gravel truck is good enough. If I went to the same driving school I went to, to upgrade my 3 to 1 is 2100 dollars. To get a class 1 at a driving school if you never been in a truck before is 10,300 dollars but that includes job placement.

I have no restrictions on my license besides I need glasses. Having the restriction of only able to drive trucks with automatic transmissions isn't good. If you get caught by the RCMP driving a truck with a regular manual transmission like a 13-18spd you will get a fine.

When you go for a CDL in B.C. you have to go to the doctor and get a physical so it is bend over and cough :laugh:

The last time I had to go get my DL renewed the gov't had their handout I had to pay for a medical fee but didn't have to get a medical. That was 100 and something dollars plus another 50 dollars for a DL renew :rolleyes:

Wow, you're getting ripped big time, Valley Driving School only charges like $2000 for the full Class 1 http://www.valleydrivingschool.com/comdiv/class1.html

I did individual lessons at $90.00 per hour for 4 hours, and no bending over for Mr. Doctor, although he did want to touch my "jibblets", but his fee was only $112.00 with tax. After all was said and done total bills were just over $600 including fees at the DMV.

Gravel Rat
02-02-2008, 02:19 AM
I went to North Shore. There are a few places on Vancouver island that is in the 3000-4000 range for a basic class 1.

For me I could upgrade my license on my own and use a gravel truck with a tilt trailer. Thats all you need a class 1 for. The ICBC testers say you can't use that then you say to them well I need a class 1 for this so this is what I'am taking the test on.

BrandonV
02-02-2008, 08:21 AM

Wow, you really should buy a dish washer, I love mine... got it from sears

hosejockey2002
02-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I started out driving fire engines around 20 years ago when I first joined the fire service. No CDL required for them in this state, just training by the dept. I got my CDL 'B' 10 years ago driving school bus part time. Those are very easy to drive, basically an automatic fire engine that you can actually see out of. After that I started working part time for a construction company driving a '90 KW with a 15-speed. I already had my B so I could drive solo. Once I got comfortable shifting it I took my A test in it with a tilt trailer hooked up. This was before they made the test requirements so strict. It was pouring rain when I took my test. The examiner was impressed that I didn't miss a single shift during the road test, and said that I knew my way around the rig pretty well and he was sure I knew how to back up. He didn't even make me back up, probably because he didn't want to get wet. I passed with 100%, lucky I didn't have to back up. :laugh:

kyle 03
02-03-2008, 09:38 PM
I am working on mine with a 98 international 9100. It has a c-10 cat and a rockwell 10 speed. Lots of power and forgiving. does anyone know if you have to double clutch on the test because i cant do it at all.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Dang Im gonna seem like an old fart here compared to yall.....Actually I got grandfathered in from the old chauffeurs license days...Learned to drive on an International B cab, 6v92 detroit with a fuller 9 speed and a 45 foot Fruehauf van

wayne

mastercraft
02-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Kyle03, if you go to a highway patrol testing station you certainly will. I have heard that the private testing station in Gneadenhutten has a synchronized 5 speed truck with a 40' trailer that you can rent for the test. Last I heard it was $175 for the rental.

Gravel Rat
02-03-2008, 10:04 PM
You pretty much have to keep both hands on the wheel and as for double clutching you have to use the clutch you definatly should't float.

The tester does count blown shifts as demerits or they used to. The first thing you do before you take off is ask the tester to put their seatbelt on that is a demerit.

You learn all the bad habits after you get your CDL. Floating is a bad habit everybody does it. Some trucks don't float well. Drove a L8000 Ford with a 10spd the transmission just didn't want to float.

When I took my CDL it was on a tandem axle truck it is one of the longest allowable straight trucks. It is a old LTL-9000 Ford they don't steer that good.

Dirt Digger2
02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
if you can shift the truck without grinding the gears then you don't have to double clutch...i took mine in an F800 that shifts as easy as a small truck. No double clutching. The only time you need to double clutch is in a road ranger tranny, which you should probably learn to drive, but as for the test just don't grind gears and you will be ok

Mowingman
02-03-2008, 10:45 PM
I have had a Class A CDL with all endorsements except for hazmat, for 31 years. I took my original test in an old Ford F600 water truck/winch truck. When the CDL process was standardized, (early 90's I believe), I only had to take the written tests again, and was "grandfathered in", for all the driving tests.

Dirt Digger2
02-03-2008, 10:46 PM
so how many of you have driven an old twin stick mack before?

BIGBEN2004
02-03-2008, 10:54 PM
I have a little but it was only going up and down the street maybe at most 3 miles. It was the old side cab model where the cab is offset to the drivers side.

FosterLawnscaping
02-03-2008, 11:49 PM
When I was 18 ,trained in a 95 international tandem tractor with a300hp l10 cummins that ran on 5 cylinders and 9 speed with around 400k on the clock pulling a 48 foot reefer. Took my test in a similar vintage international 4900 with 530HO and 7 speed spicer with 28' reefer. Got my permit, drove the semi about 12 hours then took my test and passed. Still drive a few times a year for the same company when I have nothing better to do.

hosejockey2002
02-04-2008, 12:24 AM
so how many of you have driven an old twin stick mack before

Never driven a twin stick anything before (well except an old Dodge Colt) but it's something I've always wanted to learn..

44DCNF
02-04-2008, 12:40 AM
so how many of you have driven an old twin stick mack before?

It's what I learned on. A 77 R model. Drove Fords with 5/4 in them.
Most of my time was on a RTO 146/13 behind a 3406B in an LTL9000

PROCUT1
02-04-2008, 02:11 AM
I have to go for mine.

My problem is I have been driving all sorts of trucks both class A and B for a long time.

When people see me driving and ask I always say that I have a CDL.

Ive been saying that for so long that I forget that I actually dont.

I guess theyre right when they say you can lie for so long that you actually believe it.

I remembered it the other day when I drove a semi for a friend of mine that works for a national trucking company. We were going out of state about 2 hours to drop it off at a terminal and he had a sprained ankel and couldnt clutch so I drove it for him.

After being on the road for 2 hours and pulling through a weight station, fortunately I got flagged through, I remembered that I didnt REALLY have a license to drive that.

Fortunately I made it to my destination, but It would not have been good if I got caught.

Jpocket
02-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Never driven a twin stick anything before (well except an old Dodge Colt) but it's something I've always wanted to learn..

I have one a 1980 DM Mack with the 2stick six speed. I really don't consider it a true two stick truck b/c your not really supposed to split all of the gears, like an old Duplex or tri-Quadraplex. It is fun thought to 'Pretend' it's a 10 speed.

Honestly if you under stand how a transmission works, it should't take long to learn what it likes. Personally I want to experience driving a mack 'quad-box' (20speed) or a 5+4 Spicer.

Dirt Digger2
02-07-2008, 07:18 PM
here you go Jpocket...you'll like this then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhPcDMGRxw

Jpocket
02-07-2008, 07:45 PM
here you go Jpocket...you'll like this then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhPcDMGRxw

LOL yea I've seen that one. Ive only driven a mack 10spd, mack 6spd,and a 12 spd. Honestly I study shift patterns of other trannies religously so that if I ever had to drive an 8ll or 18spd I could impress whoevers with me. Personally I feel it you can shift an old mack trans, and understand the use of the splitter/Range selector you can shift any of em' out there.

Dirt Digger2
02-07-2008, 08:00 PM
i actually find shifting a road ranger tranny (downshifts anyway) to be more difficult then our old mack

Gravel Rat
02-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Here is a old 5+4 gas pot

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAADEoJpTFQ

I'am pretty sure this is a 5+3 or 4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8SNT3uy-4

This one has to be the best

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJfCqYsV1_o

bobcat_ron
02-07-2008, 08:20 PM
My left leg and right arm hurt just looking at those.

Dirt Digger2
02-07-2008, 08:28 PM
who uses their left leg? haha

Construct'O
02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I have an old Kenworth truck tractor with the Cat V/8 and the 5/4 tranmission.Not using anymore.

I usually just shifted the 5 most of the time.Start out in 2 in the five/with the 4 speed in 2.Go throught all the gear in the 5/speed to fourth.Would split shift there some times and others just go on to 5th,then shift the 4/speed to third.

Usually stayed there unless got really doggy going.I never hardly every split shift every other gear to get where i wanted to be.

One thing about it when you had everything in the low hole you was usually cutting rutes and veryly moving.At least you had lots of options.It had 44k pound rear ends and hendrickson suspension.

It was the hardest,roughest riding thing you ever drove.I don't think you could have loaded it heavy enough to make it ride smooth:rolleyes::usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Constructo what year Kenworth?

Gravel Rat
02-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Quite a few of the older A model Kenworths had 10+4 or 13+4 which essentially they kept the A box. When you wanted a regular 10 or 13spd you left the A box in direct. You could shift the A box and the 10spd or 13spd to give you muliple gear selection. You still see A boxes used in oil field trucks in Alberta even some new trucks come specailly built with a A box which is for the low gears.

The newer trucks have way more power than the older engines. You look at a C-15 Cat has over 1800ftlbs of torque. The C-16 Cat had something in the 2000ftlb range. Usually they have Roadranger 18spds behind them. A 18spd is one of the best heavy haul transmission you can get they withstand 140,000lb loads. Lowbed trucks are usually not legal weight so they are pushing 150,000lbs :laugh:

Here is some of my favorites :canadaflag:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jfpSv4VbXs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-xqcysiQYA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vV0gGHWuwU

Construct'O
02-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Constructo what year Kenworth?

It is a vantage 1968 Square nose Kenworth,daycab. It has the old 1676 Series V/8 engine,with aftercooler and turbo.Rated at a whooper 340 HP which back then was pretty good.

Second owner and around 200,000 actual miles !!!!!!:dancing:

I'm just wondering how to get it to Joplin, Mo. so i can get the
"Trick My Truck" gang to give it a make over:cool2::usflag: