PDA

View Full Version : Site guys, how much can you do with a minix?

GreenMonster
02-01-2008, 06:56 PM
For you site guys, I'm curious how much real dirt work you can do with a mini x. Reason I ask is that we are going to do the site work for our new house and shop. We have a full basement going in, let's call it 30x40, plus a frost wall for a 24x24 attached garage. The shop will likely be in the area of 30x50-60, all on frost wall. We'll also be trenching for the well line (at least 4' deep here) plus installing the septic tanks and field.

Is it unrealistic to think this excavation/sitework can be done with a 9000# excavator and a skid steer? Obviously, we're not going to move dirt like a Cat 330, but is it realistic? I mean, we use these machines for landscaping and some lite site work. what's it going to be like moving dirt on this scale with small equipment?

BIGBEN2004
02-01-2008, 07:01 PM
It will take awhile but can be done. I have dug many additions on houses that range in that size and had full basements under them with about 7' cuts. Small mini and skid steer was the only thing that could fit in the back yard. Takes awhile but can be done. If you aren't busy I would do it. If your time pressed rent a larger machine.

bobcat_ron
02-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Lots of people do that much work with that combo. Couple of days, coffee and donuts every morning, hell, I'd do it and never leave.

Gravel Rat
02-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Anything can be done it is just going to take longer. When you dig the basement you will just have to preplan more so you get the hole dug and don't miss anything. You just hope you don't hit any large rocks or some bad hard pan. A single axle dump truck or even a 1 ton dump truck will move the material away from the site quicker than a skid.

Just hope you have easy digging if its tough your gonna be there awhile :laugh:

AWJ Services
02-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Unless there are tons of rocks they will be fine.
Use the Ex to break it loose and the skid to shuttle the dirt.

Scag48
02-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I've moved 400 cubic yards with just our 303CR. I was digging a pad on a hillside for a pool. Took me 2 days, but I got it done. Could have easily polished it off in about 5-6 hours with a 120, but I couldn't get one down to the site.

Dirt Digger2
02-01-2008, 10:17 PM
realistically a mini-excavator is useless to us...we do a lot of foundations with trackloaders and trackhoes, septic systems are done with backhoes or trackhoe depending on the size and roof drains are done with a backhoe. one time thing is fine but if you are going into the site work business you will never be able to compete with a guy who has atleast a 15ton trackhoe and a backhoe

for your small job it will work, it will take a long time but if you have the equipment use it instead of renting

Dirt Digger2
02-01-2008, 10:19 PM
also when you install the septic make sure the crane truck can access the hole...because that machine can't lift a tank and reset it

ksss
02-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Honestly I would rent a full size excavator for the basement. I do a lot with a 12K mini ex. I have also dug full basements with mine and I have dug them with my 160. The time and cost it takes to do a full basement dig with mini and skid is a waste. Around here you can rent a 160 for 475 a day. Assuming you can rent for about the same, why spend two days or more with two operators digging a basement? The other option is to hire an excavator to come in and dig the hole only. The mini can handle all the other tasks you have listed easily, but digging the basement is not cost effective option, even if you own the mini.

fhdesign
02-01-2008, 10:59 PM
If you have the time, and it's not hard digging, it shouldn't be a problem. The most time consuming part will be the full basement, you may want to look into having that done for you.

AWJ Services
02-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Here it costs 200 plus dollars to get a big piece of iron delivered from a rental place.
They get about 600 a day for a 15 ton excavator here.
I would rather put the money in my employees pockets and take 2 days rather than send it to a rental fleet.

This is a one time deal for their personal property.

mastercraft
02-02-2008, 12:06 AM
You should have no problem using what you have, barring any unforseen complications. It will probably take several days. Just make sure you finish the floor as well as you can as you go, because that mini will run out of reach real fast!

GreenMonster
02-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Here it costs 200 plus dollars to get a big piece of iron delivered from a rental place.
They get about 600 a day for a 15 ton excavator here.
I would rather put the money in my employees pockets and take 2 days rather than send it to a rental fleet.

This is a one time deal for their personal property.

I don't know what the cost is for rental, but I would guess it is close to what you're saying. At that point, I'm better off using the guy that does some excavation for us with a Hitachi 120. I would imagine he could polish off the foundation hole in a day at $100/hr.

My thoughts were also to give some hours to one of our guys, plus, I'm not really doing a hell of a lot right now either. If this was mid-summer, I wouldn't even be considering doing this myself with small equipment. I'm not looking to be competitive doing this stuff, and it is just for our personal property. If it can realistically be done with what I have, I will likely do it. If not, I'll figure another option.

Good input though from everyone, thanks.

BIGBEN2004
02-02-2008, 11:40 AM
You should have no problem using what you have, barring any unforseen complications. It will probably take several days. Just make sure you finish the floor as well as you can as you go, because that mini will run out of reach real fast!

I have done allot of additions with basements that large and larger and have never had a problem. You must not know how to do it.:rolleyes: The best way is not to go in and hog out the dirt down to grade, you go in and remove about 3 feet or so first. Then go back in and remove the other 4 feet if it is a 7 foot cut lets say and so on depending on the job you do it in stages. If you do steps in a project when running small equipment it is no different then a large site job with pans and dozer's taking only a couple of inches with every pass where they need to remove many feet of dirt. Also if you have a skid steer pulling the dirt out of the hole for you then you can install a ramp down in the hole and remove it last then you will have a perfect hole with no ramp unless you want one to give access for the concrete crew.:hammerhead:

AWJ Services
02-02-2008, 11:40 AM
My thoughts were also to give some hours to one of our guys, plus, I'm not really doing a hell of a lot right now either. If this was mid-summer, I wouldn't even be considering doing this myself with small equipment. I'm not looking to be competitive doing this stuff, and it is just for our personal property. If it can realistically be done with what I have, I will likely do it. If not, I'll figure another option.

I 100% agree .If I am busy I would hire the job out as well.