PDA

View Full Version : Service Life for ZTR

Andy Miller
10-30-2001, 11:21 PM
What is the normal life expectancy for your average ZTR? I am planning to purchase a used one and would like to know what is concidered high hours. Also, how many hours do most of you use a ZTR in a normal year?

Eric ELM
10-30-2001, 11:48 PM
It will depend on how it was taken care of and what brand it is, what hours are a lot or not. Why don't you let us know what your looking at and how many hours are on this ZTR. I have one with 3,800 hours on it that I wouldn't trade even up for ones I've seen with 200 hours on it.

Things to look for are hydro leaks, crawl under it and lift the blades up and down on the ends to see if there is play in the spindle bearings, listen to the engine for any odd sound, and check to see what the over all appearance of the machine is. If it is all beat up, it probably wasn't taken care of. I hope this helps.

sheppard
10-31-2001, 07:53 AM
With deals that some of the financing company's have now why not consider a new ZTR with a strong warrenty?

Cordially,
Sheppard

eggy
10-31-2001, 10:02 AM
I was kinda wondering this myself....I have a ZTR with 650 hours which is the main machine ...I have been wondering run it for another season or trade this winter.....

HOWARD JONES
10-31-2001, 12:39 PM
Based on a previous thread "2000 hour club", also my dealer has thrown out a 2000 hour figure for engine life, I think most commercial mowers should go 2000 hours, obviously some do much better, partly due to extra filters (Dixies for example).

Richard Martin
10-31-2001, 01:35 PM
It is my belief that almost any ZTR should be able to get to the 1500 to 2000 hour mark is you do regular maintenance on the machine and don't beat it up.

eggy wrote:
I was kinda wondering this myself....I have a ZTR with 650 hours which is the main machine ...I have been wondering run it for another season or trade this winter.....

Your mower is just barely out of the breakin period. I am in my first year of what I expect will at least a 10 year ownership of my Dixie. I should put between 300 and 350 hours a year on the machine. At 325 hrs a year I should get at least 12 years out of my Dixie.

If I were to use your tradein schedule (650 hours) I would have to buy 6 Dixies in 12 years. If I buy them at 9 grand (assuming there's no inflation) and trade them in at 4.5 grand I will have spent 27 thousand dollars. Where's the economy in that?

HOWARD JONES
10-31-2001, 04:50 PM
I might add that if the unit you're looking at does look a little rough, say, like a rental unit, the rule of thumb for rental equipment is half the life of well-maintained "one-owner" stuff.

eggy
10-31-2001, 06:38 PM
I see your point....I guess all in all I will get about the same trade in value for a machine with 650 hours or 1,000. I guess I am the type of person who always wonders what if? and trys to have a plan....Such as when equipment fails...

Mark
10-31-2001, 07:08 PM
eggy don't trade in your mower with that low amount on hrs, you won't make a dime youll loose alot, I wouldn't think about trading untill i have the mower for atleast 5-7 yrs. This way youve made your money and the dealer can't stick it to you. Like Eric said if you take good care of your equipment and its working fine keep it no need for a trade. Ive still got my 52" Snapper walkbehind i purchased new in 93 it runs and cuts great so im going to keep it. Even if something goes wrong ill still hang on to it for back up. My friend is a cutter and he gets 4000hrs on his scags in two yrs. Marks Mowing Service

General Grounds
10-31-2001, 09:45 PM
:blob3: guys your killin me:), 650 hrs is what i put on a machine in a year. ERIC ELM, got it right many friends i know in the business have new ztr's this year with 200 hrs on the that look like they feel off a trailor. i have a walker that has 3700 hrs on it, and has been very reliable. maint. is a hugh key, if a machine is kept well you'll have little to no problem, so maybe after 2500 hrs you may have to replace an engine, most if not all of these machines have sealed hydro units which very rarely go bad, provided you check the gear oil. i have a bobcat ztr w 2700 hrs on it which looks brand new, i will invest in a new engine this winter, startin to get tired, but in march i got a new mower for $1500. I guess it's very hard to put a life expectancy on a machine of this nature. Good Luck T

65hoss
11-01-2001, 01:02 AM
I guess I need to consider selling mine. Since its 13 months old now. :p

Actually, I kind of enjoy watching the hours add up. I'm hoping I can make this kawi go very high hours. Synthetic oil and putting clean air filter on 2 times daily, I'm betting the machine goes many hours. So far this season I've put just over 325 hours. I will still be doing leaves until the end of the year. Probably add at least another 100 hours. I would like to get a mower to last as long as the ford tractor I have. 12,320 hours on the original motor and its in great shape. Enjoy your machine, 650 hours is nothing.

accuratelawn
11-01-2001, 09:54 PM
65hoss,
you change the air filter twice per day? If this is so you run the risk of letting dirt in by opening up the filter so often. I have a friend with a 23 Kaw. The guys at the shop put on the donalson filter system on for him. You can go 200+ hours without having to change those filters.

Dix
11-02-2001, 12:02 AM
accuratelawn: What is the Donalson filter system & where would I look for more info?
Dix

TLS
11-02-2001, 12:13 AM
Yes, better not to touch. Unless you see decreased performance or RPM's or black smoke, your better off leaving it on there until Spring. Especially if its a Donaldson type. Mine stays pretty clean as it gets air right behind the seat.

65hoss
11-02-2001, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by accuratelawn
65hoss,
you change the air filter twice per day? If this is so you run the risk of letting dirt in by opening up the filter so often. I have a friend with a 23 Kaw. The guys at the shop put on the donalson filter system on for him. You can go 200+ hours without having to change those filters.

Let me explain. Only during leaf season with the amount of dust do I do this. Not during regular cuttings. Then its 2 times a week. Exmark told me to do this if I wanted to get a lot of life out of my motor. If your careful you are not getting dirt in by opening up the filter. You also need to know I use a mulch kit on mine, so the dust level is much higher than just side discharging.

accuratelawn
11-02-2001, 10:08 AM
Dix,
Look on the Exmark wed site for a pic of air filter system. It is a two stage canster system. It is worth every penny.

DanG
11-02-2001, 12:58 PM
I wrote down the hours at the beginning of the year and so far I've put on 450 hrs on one and a little over 400 on the other that I use most times.

And on my walk behinds and my hustler 251k (that i use strickly as a back up)i've put on maybe 50 hrs each total for the year.

During this time of year I change and clean the filters at least twice a day on the machines that I use doing leaves.

Dan G.

65hoss
11-02-2001, 07:42 PM
Another thing, on the sticker attached to the breather on my kawis it says clean foam every 25 hours, but in very dusty work, it may need daily maintenance.

General Grounds
11-02-2001, 07:53 PM
:blob3: i probably would'nt disassemble to air cleaner 2x's a day, but i would take the pre-cleaner off and shake it out, most of your dirt will stick to it if oiled. Amsoil makes a great foam filter oil esp. for precleaners, almos has the make up of a bar and chain oil, very sticky.
P.S. though expensive amsoil has a great heavy duty grease as well, have'nt had the need to replace ANY, of my greasable parts for years. T