PDA

View Full Version : Welding a muffler

Cutter1
10-31-2001, 12:48 AM
I was up at my dealer the other day and saw a laser with the engine wrapped up with a plastic bag. I asked what happened to that, because I'm nosey. :) He said that the guy called and asked how much a new muffler was for it. My dealer replied with a price of like $120 or something. So this guy decides to take to his buddy so he can weld the muffler. Well he fixed the pipe, later that day a piece of this guys weld got sucked back inot the engine and blew the engine!!! Ended up costing him $1700. OUCH!!:cry:

Richard Martin
10-31-2001, 05:18 AM
It never ceases to amaze me at what some people will do. This guy probably paid 7 grand plus for this mower. It probably ran flawlessly for who knows how many years/hours and then the first time it needs maintenance done that doesn't involve an air filter or a quart of oil the guy gets cheap. And I see a lot of this. Even here at Lawnsite.

It was probably a year ago everyone was running around trying to find the cheapest Kohler muffler they could. Give it a break people. And how many times have we seen members here complain about the price of belts.

Cutter1
10-31-2001, 05:56 PM
They said it was three years old and nothing ever went wrong with it till now.

Guido
10-31-2001, 05:56 PM
Guys, quality costs money, but stupidity and cutting corners costs more money$$$$!:(

I know we all do things like this to some extent, but this helps re-enforce the "do it right the first time" policy most of us were taught as kids.

65hoss
11-01-2001, 01:18 AM
I guess I'm a little confused. If they welded on the muffler where the exhaust leaves the motor how did it go backwards into the motor? Seems like if something came loose, it would be blown out not in.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-01-2001, 01:41 AM
What probably happened was:
The muffler has baffles in it and when it was started the loose piece of whatever got blown into the baffle and stuck there.

Then when it was shut off the vacuum of the engine sucking though the exaust sucked it back into the engine and kablewy, $1700 repair bill.

Yes when you shut your engines down and they start to come to a stop sometimes they run backwards because of the compression release system. That may cause a vacuum

LGF:blob1:

LeoS818
11-05-2001, 10:56 PM
Anyone else have trouble with the muffler on choppers? We have a xw2500 that the muffler cracked at 900 hours. Replaced it then. Now the new one has cracked in the same place at 1600 hours.