PDA

View Full Version : no compete clause (fertilization)

FERT-TEK
02-02-2008, 08:15 AM
If possible could someone either PM or post your no compete clause/contract for me to review. I have the opportunity to purchase an existing route from someone in my area and want to protect my investment.

bug-guy
02-02-2008, 12:10 PM
google non compete there several to look at

FERT-TEK
02-02-2008, 05:50 PM
google non compete there several to look at

Thanks for the reply, I am looking for one specific to lawncare / Fertilization.

James Cormier
02-02-2008, 11:24 PM
If possible could someone either PM or post your no compete clause/contract for me to review. I have the opportunity to purchase an existing route from someone in my area and want to protect my investment.

If its just a route from an existing company, and they will still be in business then a non compete is not what you want. Or more than likely they will not sign anything like that.

A simple contract will protect you, something any good attorney will be able to write up. Something that says basically Company a sells Company b these customers and agree to not go after those said customers. Usually there is a time limit on stuff like this. It gets a little more complicated when you throw in geographical limits

When I sold my business a few years back this is what I did. However one thing my attorney made sure I was very aware of is that anyone can break their contract. Once this is done then it was up to me to determine how much I was willing to risk in money going after them. If its a huge company with deep pockets then I would have little chance of winning.

FERT-TEK
02-03-2008, 10:05 AM
If its just a route from an existing company, and they will still be in business then a non compete is not what you want. Or more than likely they will not sign anything like that.

A simple contract will protect you, something any good attorney will be able to write up. Something that says basically Company a sells Company b these customers and agree to not go after those said customers. Usually there is a time limit on stuff like this. It gets a little more complicated when you throw in geographical limits

When I sold my business a few years back this is what I did. However one thing my attorney made sure I was very aware of is that anyone can break their contract. Once this is done then it was up to me to determine how much I was willing to risk in money going after them. If its a huge company with deep pockets then I would have little chance of winning.

James, the guy selling the accunts is a member of LS who approached me with this deal. He said he does lawn care part time (has a full time job elsewhere) and wants to concentrate on the aeration and mowing end of the business. He further stated he is willing to sub out the fertilization to me or sell the accounts outright. I am interested in purchasing them outright since they are already in my service area. There are 40-50 accounts total he is selling. The deal sounds legitimate and the no compete contract is a formality. I just want to protect my investment with as little risk as possible.

James you are one of the guys here that I have always respected your opinion on. Thanks for your post. I have sent you a PM with some additional questions, hope you dont mind.