PDA

View Full Version : French pesticide ban

tremor
02-02-2008, 11:26 AM
This is hysterical.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/feedarticle?id=7274495

The sponsors of this article are Emirates Airline & a Theater Co. How very French to let locust & plague take the crops while the hungry masses enjoy theater & get off to a Muslim vacation.

bug-guy
02-02-2008, 12:55 PM
i'm not sure if this related but a few years ago they were having a problem with certain kinds of insecticides in france.I know it sounds funny but it was affecting the bees there and messing with their wine corps(big business there) we have seen some similar results here with bee hives die-ing off. bee keepers would bring the hives to fields to pollinate the crop and return to find them dead.
some people will snicker but this could be a serious problem... no bees mean crop shortage. take a the pesticide and there is a different problem.
people have to think outside the box
this MIGHT BE an unwanted secondary kill
we wouldn't want to poison a neighbors pet while baiting for rodents
same caution applies to insecticides an beneficial insects.

Tom Jaszewski
02-02-2008, 01:05 PM
This is hysterical.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/feedarticle?id=7274495

The sponsors of this article are Emirates Airline & a Theater Co. How very French to let locust & plague take the crops while the hungry masses enjoy theater & get off to a Muslim vacation.

There are no "sponsors" of the article, they are site supporters. All authors of this article are independent of the airline and theater.

bug-guy
02-02-2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.celsias.com/2007/03/15/bee-colony-collapse-disorder-where-is-it-heading/

Whitey4
02-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't think there are enough locales using nicotine based pesticides to cause such a widespread collapse. This is more like the human AIDS virus, but something that breaks their immune systems down in a hurry. It's world-wide. That is why pesticides are likely to be blamed, but that is circumstantial at this point. It could just as easilly be a virus that is slow acting at first, but culminates in a sudden kill. No doubt, it's a very big problem. I first heard about this 2 years ago.

bug-guy
02-02-2008, 03:28 PM
whitey
have you ever heard of merit,or premise

Whitey4
02-02-2008, 03:30 PM
whitey
have you ever heard of merit,or premise

Yes, they are both restricted here, so their use is not widespread. You have to be certified just to buy it, but the bee kill is happening here too.

bug-guy
02-02-2008, 03:42 PM
alot of the insecticides that are being looked at for possible bee disaster are not be used at the local level which you seem to be familar with but in the ag industry.
some of the chems are used in seed coatings becuase of their systemic qualities. and are then passed to the bees(alleged) during pollination.
google bee distruction good reading and can possible make enough sense to be considered.

remember agriculture is the largest users of fert and pesticides in the world.
commercial app. to residential lawns are a fly on the wall compared to ag

so to say their use is not wide spread because thet are retricted to you is an ignorant statement(i am not calling you ignorant or uninformed....just your statement)

Whitey4
02-02-2008, 04:51 PM
I was actually forgetting about Merit... and that point is well taken. Hey, there is a reason Merit is restricted here... it showed up several wells 3 1/2 years after it was introduced. So, yes, I do tend to think locally, not globally. Most guys here only use Merit in the fall, when the larvae are just hatched and easier to kill. Our soil leaches too fast and the water table too high for spring grub control IMO.

The French are worried about the grapes, and wineries are more than a cottage industry here too. Most of the farmers on the east end have either eliminated or really cut down on their pesticide apps. They can get a lot more money if they call say their crops are organic. Still, the bees are dying out there on the forks. (that is what the eastern end of LI is often called)

bug-guy
02-02-2008, 05:11 PM
remember whitey imidiclorprid (merit/premise) and fipronil (topchoice/termidor) are not r.u.p. here and state to state differ but they are also used in frontline and advatange
for flea control on pets.
active ingredients touch us all in some many different ways
the old saying most people have more toxic chems under their sinks than some cpo's have in their pest cabinets

i am familiar with L.I. i grew up in westchester cty(larchmont), played at jones beach too many times to count and have taken my family camping at heather hills st pk

all my experience in turf & ornament, g.h.p. and termite have come from down here