PDA

View Full Version : Kenworth t170

zedosix
02-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Has anyone had a look yet at the new class 5 series Kenworth. I am test riding one on Monday and am quite excited about this new model. From what I can tell the motor is a cummins and tranny is an alison, it has the engine brake also. What a classy truck this is. As far as I can see the pricing is no more than a chevy 5500 with the duramax motor. I test road the 5500 last week and was not impressed. Lots of power, but everything shook and the brakes squeaked, the dash would vibrate so much I had to hold it with my hand to stop it. I know its not a luxury car I'm buying but those creaks and moans would drive me mad. It had no load in it other than a foot of ice and snow, I was not impressed with the stopping ability. Can't imagine what it will be like hauling 6 tons behind.

ma5tr
02-02-2008, 02:55 PM
hello zedosix,

That should be a sweet truck.. Also take a look at the new peterbilt 325...I just bought one and pricing suprised me. There is a peterbilt dealership in Brampton as well as whitby. It also can the Cummins px-6 300hp with options of allison auto or the fuller manual.

zedosix
02-02-2008, 02:59 PM
hello zedosix,

That should be a sweet truck.. Also take a look at the new peterbilt 325...I just bought one and pricing suprised me. There is a peterbilt dealership in Brampton as well as whitby. It also can the Cummins px-6 300hp with options of allison auto or the fuller manual.

I will have a look but don't want to get into more than 60k with taxes. Including the dump unit. What did you buy, what are the specs. Did you try the kenworth, I've been doing some research but it is very limited at this time.

ma5tr
02-02-2008, 03:45 PM
hey zedosix,

This is how we specd our truck: 300hp engine, 6 speed manual fuller, limited slip differential, cd player, lug tires, we spent a little unnecessary $$ by getting the chrome package as well as a visor/swan hood emblem. The aluminum cab is also a great thing...no rust. our chassis went for 48k and we got an aluminum 12' pto dump body on it 13k. If you go without the chrome package i bet you can get the same specd truck for about 46k. We got a steel body quote as well with pto and it came to 10k. PM me if you want more info.

Dirt Digger2
02-02-2008, 04:21 PM
a kenworth and peterbilt are virtually the same truck...both owned by paccar, i would be surprised if there was a big difference in price between the KW and Pete

zedosix
02-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes I just had a look and they both seem to be close except maybe the interior looks a bit different. I've been told that the frame is rated at 120,000psi, which is about twice the strength of most other trucks. The whole drivetrain, spring set up looks heavy duty. I think they underrated the rear capacity to 11500. I can't wait to test drive one.

ksss
02-02-2008, 06:27 PM
I don't know if the 5500 you drove was 4x4. Mine is and it is brutally rough riding. Here is what I found on the brakes. The first 1000 miles they made noise and I was not happy. I don't know if it is the coating on the pads or discs or what but it stopped. The truck will shut down a heavy load very well. Some of the issue may have been lack of load which is typical of heavy sprung trucks which this certainly is. The vibrating and shaking is an issue and I am not happy about it. The cab needs to be isolated better. Overall, I like the truck very much for what it does right. Great off road ability, power, superior stability when running with heavy loads, the best I have driven. Mine has been overall dependable (35K on the clock and 3 warranty issues, two of those required it to be towed). The truck is sexy I think and projects a postive image IMHO. The downside is poor fit and finish in the cab, vibrations in the cab, rough riding (air bags would help and should be standard). I don't like those issues but I chose to live with them. I am hoping that when I am due to trade that it is improved in those areas. IH has bought the rights to the GM med. duty trucks. I don't know if that is good or not but it will certainly be different. The other thing I don't like is having to take it to a medium duty dealer to have it worked on. Being able to take it to the IH dealer would be a plus for me. That I have in my area. If you can get a Kenworth for the same money with the same specs that would be appealing (do they make it in 4X4?). Remember though the axle rating however underspeced they maybe are the numbers DOT will look at when you pulled over (which you are probably aware of).

zedosix
02-02-2008, 06:41 PM
It was a 4x2 I rode in. I did like it overall, but this truck had 3000km on it and the last guy burned a hole in the head liner with his cigarette. I wasn't happy about seeing that since I don't smoke. Anyway overall nice truck it looks identical to my 6500 (same color cab and box) but I will not buy based on color matching. The kenworth has a very classy interior and overall if it rides the way it looks I may be buying it.

Construct'O
02-02-2008, 07:09 PM
I don't know if the 5500 you drove was 4x4. Mine is and it is brutally rough riding. Here is what I found on the brakes. The first 1000 miles they made noise and I was not happy. I don't know if it is the coating on the pads or discs or what but it stopped. The truck will shut down a heavy load very well. Some of the issue may have been lack of load which is typical of heavy sprung trucks which this certainly is. The vibrating and shaking is an issue and I am not happy about it. The cab needs to be isolated better. Overall, I like the truck very much for what it does right. Great off road ability, power, superior stability when running with heavy loads, the best I have driven. Mine has been overall dependable (35K on the clock and 3 warranty issues, two of those required it to be towed). The truck is sexy I think and projects a postive image IMHO. The downside is poor fit and finish in the cab, vibrations in the cab, rough riding (air bags would help and should be standard). I don't like those issues but I chose to live with them. I am hoping that when I am due to trade that it is improved in those areas. IH has bought the rights to the GM med. duty trucks. I don't know if that is good or not but it will certainly be different. The other thing I don't like is having to take it to a medium duty dealer to have it worked on. Being able to take it to the IH dealer would be a plus for me. That I have in my area. If you can get a Kenworth for the same money with the same specs that would be appealing (do they make it in 4X4?). Remember though the axle rating however underspeced they maybe are the numbers DOT will look at when you pulled over (which you are probably aware of).

You truck is crew cab ,plus 4x4,so with that said how did it in price compared to the ones being looked out.Which with the two options mention that would add up pretty fast i would guess.Just a ball park figure higher or lower.:usflag:

zedosix
02-02-2008, 07:14 PM
You talkin to me or Ksss?

ksss
02-02-2008, 07:21 PM
I paid $42,250 for the truck as described CC, 4X4, duramax/allison, bucket seats, pto, power windows, locks, mirrors/w heat, cd player. The flatbed with hitch plate was 4K. That was in December of 04. So I am sure the same truck would be more money now especially with the EPA issues on new trucks.

zedosix
02-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Driving is believing. I am putting a down payment on that t170 this week. Very impressed with the way kenworth has put this truck together, motor, transmission, aluminum cab, suspension, everything i can see is far superior to anything the big three have to offer. If you are in the market for a med. duty truck, don't pass this one over, I believe peterbilt has the same truck for the same money. Cummins motor, push button automatic alison transmission, engine brake, a/c power windows, locks, hey even the stereo is top notch.

tnmtn
02-04-2008, 07:47 PM
i went to kenworths' site and didn't see any mention of a T170. could you post a link. i would like to get some info on them.
thanks,

zedosix
02-04-2008, 08:26 PM
i went to kenworths' site and didn't see any mention of a T170. could you post a link. i would like to get some info on them.
thanks,

Just google kenworth t170, there is next to no info yet. Just a small review on them. Here are a couple shots of the one I will be buying.

Scag48
02-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Great looking truck

minimax
02-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Can you get one on a 4X4, that truck would look great in my fleet.
How much do they go for.

minimax

zedosix
02-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Can you get one on a 4X4, that truck would look great in my fleet.
How much do they go for.

minimax

As far as I know they are only available in 4x2. I know this one has the limited slip rear end. This is the last of the few 08's that were made, the new ones (09) will run you about 47k chassis and cab with some nice options.

Construct'O
02-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Nice truck,can't say much for the mud flaps:weightlifter::)

Do you have the spec for the engine,rear end,and fuel mileage,so fore.Do you happen to have any pictures of the inside of the cab and of the push button shift for the tranny?

Whats your plans for box,flatbed,etc.Again nice truck,should be a head turner.Good luck:usflag:

zedosix
02-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Nice truck,can't say much for the mud flaps:weightlifter::)

Do you have the spec for the engine,rear end,and fuel mileage,so fore.Do you happen to have any pictures of the inside of the cab and of the push button shift for the tranny?

Whats your plans for box,flatbed,etc.Again nice truck,should be a head turner.Good luck:usflag:

Paccar 6 (cummins motor) 220 hp 520tq, rear end is a limited slip 4:56, fuel mileage after 2 hours on highway (not me) he noted 11.5mpg. No pictures of the inside but will take some tomorrow or day after when I go out there. I have inquired about engine mods and for $800 the power can be increased to 240 hp and for 1400 dollars, up to 280hp and 660tq. I will wait and try it like this before I do any pwr increases.

I am putting a 12' pto hyd. dump unit with folding sides etc.

ksss
02-05-2008, 12:01 AM
If you have any ability to negeotiate at this stage you might get at least one bump increase in power. I am sure that it is all done electronically so its not like it cost anything to increase the power. It would seem to be something easy to get thrown in with the purchase of the truck. It is sharp.

BIGBEN2004
02-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Only 8 lugs? Seems very strange for a truck of that size. Even our Ford F-550 on the farm has 10 lugs and that is allot smaller truck.

zedosix
02-05-2008, 07:25 AM
If you have any ability to negeotiate at this stage you might get at least one bump increase in power. I am sure that it is all done electronically so its not like it cost anything to increase the power. It would seem to be something easy to get thrown in with the purchase of the truck. It is sharp.

800 us for the upgrade to the next stage. I will wait for the time being. All negotiations are final. I will try it like it is then at my first oil change I will decide about the power then.

zedosix
02-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Only 8 lugs? Seems very strange for a truck of that size. Even our Ford F-550 on the farm has 10 lugs and that is allot smaller truck.

Yes it is alot smaller truck yet the two of them are considered in the same class. I can't tell you why there are only 8 instead of ten, the spec sheet says 8 iron bolts, the front axle spec is 8000lb. The frame and front axle are identical to the bigger t300 series which have been out for years, including their 120,000psi frame, fords is 50,000psi. Good observation though.

bobcat_ron
02-05-2008, 11:23 AM
That would be the truck I would buy used, it would be a great replacement for my F450.

Dirt Digger2
02-05-2008, 12:34 PM
just curious why you chose this truck to be a dump truck. It seems like a cab/chassis of that price would be more suitable for a service body. It weighs a lot more then a 550 so you wont be legally able to haul as much. Plus it seems guys are only keeping their dumps for a few years then selling, not because they are breaking down but because they are getting so beat up. You will love that truck though, we have an International service truck that is 15 years old I believe and we are predicting it to outlast our 2003 F550.

zedosix
02-05-2008, 01:27 PM
just curious why you chose this truck to be a dump truck. It seems like a cab/chassis of that price would be more suitable for a service body. It weighs a lot more then a 550 so you wont be legally able to haul as much. Plus it seems guys are only keeping their dumps for a few years then selling, not because they are breaking down but because they are getting so beat up. You will love that truck though, we have an International service truck that is 15 years old I believe and we are predicting it to outlast our 2003 F550.

Well it doesn't weigh much more than the f550, that cab structure is all aluminum. I had it weighed yesterday at 3500kg plus box weight of aprox. 1200kg it will still leave me close to 5 tons legal. Also the rear axle is de-rated to 11,500 to compete in the 19,500 class. I plan to keep it til I retire, which gives me 15 yrs max. As far as getting beat I have a gmc I like to beat every now and then. Besides the cost of this unit with dump box is cheaper than the 08 f550.

Dirt Digger2
02-05-2008, 03:33 PM
good deal...she will definitely last you 15 years...now all you need is a little chrome

Gravel Rat
02-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I just looked at the B.C. Kenworth dealer they have a few 170s and man for a cab and chassis for 51,000 thats cheap. A friend got a quote on a M2 Freightliner same class gvw for 60,000.

The first thing with that KW your buying would be change the front bumper I can see that grounding out it hangs too low.

You can get the chrome book for the Paccar trucks and I hope you got lots of money because there is lots of stuff in it for Pete and KW trucks. The T series cab is all the same.

As for the engine I wouldn't push the hp past 240 because you want the kilometerage out of it. The 6.7 Cummins is new and who knows what kind of life expectancy you will get out of it. The 5.9 in low pro trucks usually get 400,000kms (249,000 miles) and they need a rebuild. To get 400k out of Cummins you have to change the oil every 5000kms and keep on top of the mainenance. The 6.7 will not be a easy engine rebuild with its new block design there isn't the meat around the cylinders to resleeve it.

You push the engine to the 300hp mark plan on a engine rebuild at 300,000kms (186,400 miles). The Cummins maybe a high milage motor in a light pickup truck put it into a 19,000lb gvw truck it doesn't last. Cummins designed the 6.7 and 5.9 as throwaway engines if they really thought they wanted a engine that was designed to last they would have had liners.

Quality engines have liners throwaway engines have no replaceable liners.

I think the truck should last you a long time just don't overload it. A truck with 19.5 wheels is very limited for braking power. At 19,000lbs the truck will be a brake eater. A exhaust brake helps a little but you will still have to watch that you don't overheat the brakes. A exhaust brake doesn't work that great at low speeds and stop and go driving. Get out on the 401 doing 120-130km/h the exhaust brake will help.

For the wheels I see nothing wrong with the 8 bolt. The only reason why Ford and Dodge use 10 bolt is more clamping force on a lighter wheel. The Kenworth probably uses a heavier wheel center so 8 bolts is good enough.

From what I read on the net the 170 sound like s T-300 with 19.5 wheels and the 6.7 Cummins. Put 22.5 wheels and bigger brakes on the truck you have a 3 ton truck (Similar to F-650 Ford).

zedosix
02-05-2008, 07:29 PM
I just looked at the B.C. Kenworth dealer they have a few 170s and man for a cab and chassis for 51,000 thats cheap. A friend got a quote on a M2 Freightliner same class gvw for 60,000.

The first thing with that KW your buying would be change the front bumper I can see that grounding out it hangs too low.

You can get the chrome book for the Paccar trucks and I hope you got lots of money because there is lots of stuff in it for Pete and KW trucks. The T series cab is all the same.

As for the engine I wouldn't push the hp past 240 because you want the kilometerage out of it. The 6.7 Cummins is new and who knows what kind of life expectancy you will get out of it. The 5.9 in low pro trucks usually get 400,000kms (249,000 miles) and they need a rebuild. To get 400k out of Cummins you have to change the oil every 5000kms and keep on top of the mainenance. The 6.7 will not be a easy engine rebuild with its new block design there isn't the meat around the cylinders to resleeve it.

You push the engine to the 300hp mark plan on a engine rebuild at 300,000kms (186,400 miles). The Cummins maybe a high milage motor in a light pickup truck put it into a 19,000lb gvw truck it doesn't last. Cummins designed the 6.7 and 5.9 as throwaway engines if they really thought they wanted a engine that was designed to last they would have had liners.

Quality engines have liners throwaway engines have no replaceable liners.

I think the truck should last you a long time just don't overload it. A truck with 19.5 wheels is very limited for braking power. At 19,000lbs the truck will be a brake eater. A exhaust brake helps a little but you will still have to watch that you don't overheat the brakes. A exhaust brake doesn't work that great at low speeds and stop and go driving. Get out on the 401 doing 120-130km/h the exhaust brake will help.

For the wheels I see nothing wrong with the 8 bolt. The only reason why Ford and Dodge use 10 bolt is more clamping force on a lighter wheel. The Kenworth probably uses a heavier wheel center so 8 bolts is good enough.

From what I read on the net the 170 sound like s T-300 with 19.5 wheels and the 6.7 Cummins. Put 22.5 wheels and bigger brakes on the truck you have a 3 ton truck (Similar to F-650 Ford).

Where do you get 51k from? I paid 43 with all included like freight and pdi, unless you are talking about a body on the back. As far as chrome goes, who needs it, I'm not into flashy stuff like that, no sence blinding the guy driving towards you, know what I mean. Its going to be a work truck, and I believe it will be a darn good one at that, don't forget whether it is a f550 or gmc 5500 or dodge for that matter, they all get overloaded. I used to overload my ford f450 and carry an overloaded trailer, if your brakes are set up right and if you drive smart they last a good while. I will feel much better knowing that this baby is overloaded than the other three, and for that brake, it works at all speeds, does a damn good job of throwing you into the steering wheel. I can't comment on the motor other than it is a cummings 6.7 litre but I was told it ended there. I guess I will just have to wait til spring to see how it performs.

RockSet N' Grade
02-05-2008, 08:07 PM
zedo..........just keep posting pictures as your truck progresses and continue to give updates. I, for one, am most interested in the plus/minus aspects of your new rig as you put it to work.

zedosix
02-05-2008, 08:12 PM
zedo..........just keep posting pictures as your truck progresses and continue to give updates. I, for one, am most interested in the plus/minus aspects of your new rig as you put it to work.

Will do, waiting on a quote for a dump body.

bobcat_ron
02-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Where do you get 51k from? I paid 43 with all included like freight and pdi, unless you are talking about a body on the back........

Us Canadians seem to enjoy getting bent over a barrel when it comes to buying anything that is made in the USA. :cry:

zedosix
02-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Us Canadians seem to enjoy getting bent over a barrel when it comes to buying anything that is made in the USA. :cry:

43k is Canadian dollars, and the plant is in Montreal where they are made.

bobcat_ron
02-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Wow, I didn't know that, guess I must have been mistaken for the Western Star assembly plant years ago in the Interior that screwed their employees over.

Gravel Rat
02-05-2008, 08:42 PM
A regular cab and chassis at Inland Kenworth is 51,0000 no body on it. That is still cheap because when I was at Ford pricing out a 07 F-450 it was going to cost me 48,000 but that was a XLT reg cab with 165wb.

The Kenworth will carry the weight but won't stop it quickly. The truck runs 245 rubber the truck has a tire capacity of 28,310lbs where as the F-550 truck with 225 rubber has a tire capacity of 20,940lbs. The literature I found says the KW has a 14,000lb rear axle and 8000lb front axle gives you a axle capacity of 22,000lbs.

Now you compare that to a old F-450 like a F-Superduty which had a 11,000lb rear axle and 5000lb front axle which is 16,000lb axle capacity. The old F-Superduty with 16 inch rubber only has a tire capacity 17,196.

You will be overloading the truck I would consider getting scales for the truck it will pay for itself in overload fines. The sensors go on the dump body and there is a display in the cab tells you the load in the box.

Now that you will have a commercial looking truck the CVSE inspectors will be eye balling you for overloads like you wouldn't beleive. If your regulations are the same as we have in B.C. any truck with a licensed gvw greater than 5500kgs you need to stop at scales and brake checks you will have to run legal.

Out here where I'am the RCMP have access to portable scales if they suspect your overloaded they pull you over then they call the car with the portables. If your overloaded then you might aswell get a crying towel your in for some expenses.

You are making a good choice with the Kenworth but like I said she is going to be running heavy.

Gravel Rat
02-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Ron it is only people on the West Coast that get bent over the barrel. You can pretty much safely say that Alberta and B.C. carries the rest of the Canada tax wise. Every cent we make goes to Ottawa and we never see it again. When that stupid crooked mouth was running Canada Ontario and Quebec got what ever they wanted. It is the same today with war monger Harper.

ma5tr
02-05-2008, 09:20 PM
hey gravel rat or anyone else for that matter,

do you know any manufacturers for onboard scales? Good idea.

Gravel Rat
02-05-2008, 09:56 PM
If you are in a area where the DOT is bad and they are checking trucks for overloads scales are a must.

Here is a company

www.loadman.com/index.asp

The CVSE inspectors here always check dump trucks or any construction truck. You get a truck like the Kenworth that is a medium duty truck it just draws attention to the inspectors. With a F-450 F-550 not so much they look like a 1 ton from a distance. The 4500-5500 Chevy trucks have the same problem they look like a bigger truck than they actually are.

You really don't need to be picked on when your a small guy with a slight overload. The only time I get concerned about overloads when guys are pulling trailers way way too heavy for the truck. That is far more dangerous than a straight truck that is 1000lbs overweight.

zedosix
02-05-2008, 10:14 PM
I think they run near 4k, a friend has one in his tri-ax. It is a good idea but an expensive item, especially when you have 3 trucks running around. In the past we have been pretty careful about overloading and will continue to do so.

RockSet N' Grade
02-05-2008, 11:03 PM
zedo.....what manufacturers are you comparing for boxes?

zedosix
02-05-2008, 11:14 PM
zedo.....what manufacturers are you comparing for boxes?

I am leaning towards www.beauroc.com. But have also looked at brandon and lanau. I want to go with pto hydraulic but at a cost of 13k I may reconsider the electric hydraulic.

Gravel Rat
02-05-2008, 11:27 PM
If you are paying 13,000 for PTO hydraulics your getting ripped off. Buy a dump pump and get a Muncie PTO and Muncie Juice tank your all done.

Electric over hydraulic is a POS they have no power and slow as mollasis. If your going with a truck like the KW why fool around with a mickey mouse hydraulics.

zedosix
02-06-2008, 07:59 AM
If you are paying 13,000 for PTO hydraulics your getting ripped off. Buy a dump pump and get a Muncie PTO and Muncie Juice tank your all done.

Electric over hydraulic is a POS they have no power and slow as mollasis. If your going with a truck like the KW why fool around with a mickey mouse hydraulics.

I have recieved 3 quotes as of yesterday all of them are in the 11 to 12 range for electric hydraulic. the one quote I had for pto hyd. was 13,500. I had electric hyd. on my last truck and it worked fine for 12 yrs, no problems at all. Yes it was slow but it never gave me problems. I have pto hyd. on my 6500 and it has jammed up at least 4 times since I've owned the truck and its only 5 yrs old.
Don't forget a dump box includes pintle plate, receiver, brake controller, tarp, mud flaps, hinged doors etc. This is the going price for dump units out east. Besides the way I see it I've already saved 8k on the price of the truck:)

RockSet N' Grade
02-06-2008, 08:10 AM
zedo....I looked at those boxes, I can't remember if you are going low fold down side or regular dump bed with higher sides for volume. What kinda of doors/tail gate are you considering? If I had to do it over again (even for my bobtail) I would get the high lift gate vs. standard swing or barn door......that's assuming you go high side and not contractor fold down sides.....

zedosix
02-06-2008, 08:16 AM
zedo....I looked at those boxes, I can't remember if you are going low fold down side or regular dump bed with higher sides for volume. What kinda of doors/tail gate are you considering? If I had to do it over again (even for my bobtail) I would get the high lift gate vs. standard swing or barn door......that's assuming you go high side and not contractor fold down sides.....

The sides will be 18" fold down, the tail gate will be a "double-acting" 24" tall. I am trying to figure out why anyone would want barn doors on the back of a dump body. In all my years of landscaping I have never seen a medium duty truck with barn doors. Just to confirm that we are talking about a dump body on a truck. Not a dump trailer.

RockSet N' Grade
02-06-2008, 08:36 AM
On the high sides some of the guys use barn doors here for carrying large bulky items like tree stumps and boulders. I have never liked them, but I see them around. Tandems with drops have barn doors around here too for boulder carry. They are less expensive at initial purchase yet have a tendency to bow out the back at the top which makes it hard to close the door over time........I have always thought these guys were steping over a dollar to save a dime. For high side dump the high lift seems to be the best combo.

Scag48
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Never seen a barn door dump body, except for our dump trailer but that's actually not a bad idea for landscaping. If you're hauling rock or large stumps, a high lift gate is the norm here. Hydraulically actuated, they lift well over the height you could legally run down the road anyway.

Never heard of BeauRoc, but they seem to build some pretty nice bodies. Definately need pics of that beast when she's all put together.

zedosix
02-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Never seen a barn door dump body, except for our dump trailer but that's actually not a bad idea for landscaping. If you're hauling rock or large stumps, a high lift gate is the norm here. Hydraulically actuated, they lift well over the height you could legally run down the road anyway.

Never heard of BeauRoc, but they seem to build some pretty nice bodies. Definately need pics of that beast when she's all put together.

I am meeting with a reputable box builder tomorrow, they actually have custom made a box for the peterbilt which is identical. It is going to be one of a kind. They have the rear windows punched out exactly where the back window is on the cab, the cab shield is custom made to fit aerodynamically over the hood. Should look pretty cool when its done.

Gravel Rat
02-06-2008, 09:38 PM
You can go to Princess Auto and buy a hydraulic pump and valves along with a juice tank for heck of alot less than 11,000. I was quoted around 3000 for a PTO set up for my F-450. Depending on what can bolt to the automatic transmission a PTO would be around 1000 dollars a pump around 500-800.

In the years of working with tandem axle dump trucks I never had major problems with PTO hydraulics.

As for box a custom made box is probably the best way of doing it. As for putting barn doors on the back that is a bad idea. I would either make a highlift gate or one that swings open as one door to the side like a rolloff box.

If you haul broken concrete and odd shaped rip rap a swing door would be the best that way it dumps cleanlly. Also you can load from the stern of the truck with the door open. say you have a large rock etc you can slide it into the back.

zedosix
02-06-2008, 09:46 PM
You can go to Princess Auto and buy a hydraulic pump and valves along with a juice tank for heck of alot less than 11,000. I was quoted around 3000 for a PTO set up for my F-450. Depending on what can bolt to the automatic transmission a PTO would be around 1000 dollars a pump around 500-800.

In the years of working with tandem axle dump trucks I never had major problems with PTO hydraulics.

As for box a custom made box is probably the best way of doing it. As for putting barn doors on the back that is a bad idea. I would either make a highlift gate or one that swings open as one door to the side like a rolloff box.

If you haul broken concrete and odd shaped rip rap a swing door would be the best that way it dumps cleanlly. Also you can load from the stern of the truck with the door open. say you have a large rock etc you can slide it into the back.

When I told you 13,000 I meant for the box and hydraulics, the whole package my friend. I have never considered barn doors. A 2 way gate is fine for me. If you have a rough load you just unhinge from the top and dump with the tailgate down. As for boulders and such, we load and unload from the sides.

Gravel Rat
02-06-2008, 10:10 PM
If that is the price for box and hydraulics what are you complaining about that is a decent price.

zedosix
02-06-2008, 10:24 PM
If that is the price for box and hydraulics what are you complaining about that is a decent price.

what? whos complaining?????

Gravel Rat
02-06-2008, 10:37 PM
If your getting the box and PTO hydraulics for 13,000 why do you want to go with 12volt hyraulics. Also if your going with a hoist go with a Mailhot front mount post hoist if you go with a scissor hoist you will be in for a big disapointment. On a truck you are building you want the dumping power with less weight. A scissor hoist adds 800lbs of extra weight where as the post hoist that will dump more weight than a scissor hoist would ever dream of.

The one F-450 I drive using it offroad we were putting 9000lbs in it and the Del front mount post hoist dumps the loads with the engine at a idle.

zedosix
02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
No scissor lift ever in my fleet, we've got it all figured out no worries. I've had 4 dump trucks in the past all with telescopic lifts, some with hydraulic, some with electric. We're good to go.

Gravel Rat
02-07-2008, 12:04 AM
You have to watch these body upfitter companies they like the scissor hoists because they are easy to install. A post hoist requires more work to install.

In the little boxes there isn't many many manufactures use the front mount hoist.

For me I can build anything I want my familly are all welders. I will probably build another dump deck for my current 03 F-450. I need it to be strong because I will probably haul scrap cars plus I haul lumber and logs to the mills. When you flop a 48 inch diameter 16 foot long Doug fir log on the truck it is heavy. The places I go torcher test for the truck places you wouldn't want to try the T170.

Today where I was working the place had a concrete driveway but it has one switch back and has a decent grade to it. If the concrete is wet or has any frost on it no way I could get out. A unloaded truck would burn nothing but rubber :laugh:

Sunscaper
02-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Wow, that Kenworth is gorgeous. I hope it works out for you. I would like to have one of those. I do agree with G.R. of a few points though. I think I'll buy a used class 6 next truck. Less money and if I'm going to be scrutinized by D.O.T. I might as well have the GVW to go along with it. Hope to see alot more pictures when its done. Congratulations!

Sunscaper
02-07-2008, 08:52 AM
BTW can you get one in 6x6? I'd hate to loose that capability. Many dumps here fall victim to the sugar sand.

zedosix
02-07-2008, 09:02 AM
You can only get it 4x2. My trucks sit for 4 months of the year so for me I wouldn't buy it any other way, I know what you mean about the sand though cause my feet get stuck in it in during March break:laugh: As far as the mto are concerned I have already done my homework on it. I will register it a bit higher than the 19,500 rating.

Gravel Rat
02-07-2008, 07:36 PM
You can't go too far offroad in the T170 its too low to the ground once it starts to sink its stuck. The limited slip will help it will be all the truck needs along with good traction tires. Make sure you have the Kenworth tow hooks on the front. They are two square recievers in the front bumper you slip a tow hook into.

Anybody I know with a F-450 F-550 4x4 say the truck sinks so fast the 4wheeldrive doesn't do much. The only benefit of the 4wheeldrive is when your on hard ground with a loose top. Like a gravel road that is hard enough you don't sink but loose enough the rear wheels spin. I have been on many of those. There are quite a few that I have trenched with my tires. You get mad and just keep your foot into it and the tires dig in 2-3 inches and you 100 feet or so. One place I would get so far up and the tires would hit a soft spot and sink so back down try it again. Scream some esplicit language and try it again. The only thing you worry about is the back end sliding sideways then you can't back up. Some of them I put it in first gear and just go for it there is dirt flying.

Like I have mentioned before I have taken 2wd 1 ton flatdecks and F-450 flatdecks in places where some 4x4s can't go. It all comes down to experience and know the limits of the truck. When you live in rural B.C. where once you leave the paved public road your in for a adventure with residential driveways :laugh:

kreft
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM
any up-dated pictures of the truck zedo?

ksss
01-17-2009, 02:55 PM
You can't go too far offroad in the T170 its too low to the ground once it starts to sink its stuck. The limited slip will help it will be all the truck needs along with good traction tires. Make sure you have the Kenworth tow hooks on the front. They are two square recievers in the front bumper you slip a tow hook into.

Anybody I know with a F-450 F-550 4x4 say the truck sinks so fast the 4wheeldrive doesn't do much. The only benefit of the 4wheeldrive is when your on hard ground with a loose top. Like a gravel road that is hard enough you don't sink but loose enough the rear wheels spin. I have been on many of those. There are quite a few that I have trenched with my tires. You get mad and just keep your foot into it and the tires dig in 2-3 inches and you 100 feet or so. One place I would get so far up and the tires would hit a soft spot and sink so back down try it again. Scream some esplicit language and try it again. The only thing you worry about is the back end sliding sideways then you can't back up. Some of them I put it in first gear and just go for it there is dirt flying.

Like I have mentioned before I have taken 2wd 1 ton flatdecks and F-450 flatdecks in places where some 4x4s can't go. It all comes down to experience and know the limits of the truck. When you live in rural B.C. where once you leave the paved public road your in for a adventure with residential driveways :laugh:

Its too bad you cant get one in 4X4. I am sure someone does a conversion but that would likely cost a fortune. Around here if it is foolish to spend a ton a money on a prime mover that wasn't 4X4. You would have to park it during the Winter, keep it on road the rest of the year. That would not be very practical here. I like the ability to go practically anywhere with my 4X4 5500. The ground clearance is excellent, chained up it unstoppable. That is no small advantage working in the middle of no where.

zedosix
01-17-2009, 04:14 PM
any up-dated pictures of the truck zedo?

I backed outta the deal at the last minute, heard the service was horrible so opted for this 3 yr old 4300 instead. Love the truck, and it holds 6.5tons with no problem. In fact we overload it on occasion to say the least.

NateV
01-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Sides are way to short for me...

Gravel Rat
01-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Thats a contractor box the sides are short so you can tilt them down easy.

You could overload that truck with the sides as they are. The only thing you have to watch is that truck has a light rear axle it looks like the bare minimum 21,000lb.

Nothing wrong with a Cornbinder :laugh:

zedosix
01-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Thats a contractor box the sides are short so you can tilt them down easy.

You could overload that truck with the sides as they are. The only thing you have to watch is that truck has a light rear axle it looks like the bare minimum 21,000lb.

Nothing wrong with a Cornbinder :laugh:

I had one of my guys put a length of 2" x 6" oak and now its all but impossible to lift with one man. My gmc has split sides which makes life easier.

Gravel Rat
01-17-2009, 11:29 PM
You want the lower sides if your in the landscape business it makes it easier to load the truck by hand say your doing some clean up and it doesn't require a machine to load.

02DURAMAX
01-18-2009, 07:52 AM
those kenworths are nice!

Triple L
08-02-2009, 03:58 PM
I backed outta the deal at the last minute, heard the service was horrible so opted for this 3 yr old 4300 instead. Love the truck, and it holds 6.5tons with no problem. In fact we overload it on occasion to say the least.

What did you exactly mean by the service is horrible?

zedosix
08-02-2009, 05:00 PM
What did you exactly mean by the service is horrible?

The shop service I was told was horrible, they had a bad rap as far as I know, new employees were being brought in to rid of the other guys who didn't know what they were doing.

Triple L
08-03-2009, 09:21 PM
hmm, that too bad your dealer wasnt up to the task...

So after reading this thread again, is it safe to assume that these trucks run the exact same 6.7 cummins motor in them as a dodge ram has?

Also, why would you pay KW big $$$ to bump up the power when you could probally just throw a bully dog 300 hp chip on there for $5-600... That is if its the same motor as whats in a dodge...

How do you guys think one of these trucks would plow with 8000 lbs of salt in the back?

scagtiger
08-03-2009, 10:30 PM
hmm, that too bad your dealer wasnt up to the task...

So after reading this thread again, is it safe to assume that these trucks run the exact same 6.7 cummins motor in them as a dodge ram has?

Also, why would you pay KW big $$$ to bump up the power when you could probally just throw a bully dog 300 hp chip on there for $5-600... That is if its the same motor as whats in a dodge...

How do you guys think one of these trucks would plow with 8000 lbs of salt in the back?

you would pay big money because its not as easy as just puttin a chip in a truck and having it run good.. it will run good until you burn up a turbo or melt some pistons..

Triple L
08-04-2009, 08:45 AM
well I was not suggesting you go around pulling 20,000 lbs with it on stage 6... but if you bought a stock 220 hp. truck, and put a 80hp tune on it I doubt you'll hurt anything...

What does KW do to it besides goof with the computer?

scagtiger
08-04-2009, 10:55 AM
chips make them run higher egts.. it doesnt matter if its a 40hp tune or 120hp tune

Triple L
08-04-2009, 08:34 PM
so are you sayin if KW tunes the truck up to 300 hp from the stock 220, it will still run normal temps or what?

Gravel Rat
08-05-2009, 01:49 PM
You can't modify the engine in a Kenworth as its under the Paccar name as the PX6.

The engine in the Dodge trucks has a Dodge computer and Cummins doesn't want anything to do with it.

The engine in the Kenworth has Cummins programing and you have to have them modify it if you want more power.

Sorry but you don't want any more than 220-225hp heavier truck small engine equals bad news.

Triple L
08-05-2009, 08:41 PM
You can't modify the engine in a Kenworth as its under the Paccar name as the PX6.

The engine in the Dodge trucks has a Dodge computer and Cummins doesn't want anything to do with it.

The engine in the Kenworth has Cummins programing and you have to have them modify it if you want more power.

Sorry but you don't want any more than 220-225hp heavier truck small engine equals bad news.

Right on, thanks alot Gravel Rat! That makes perfect sence now, seems like you know what your talking about... Not just some guy, "O tuners are bad"..... Like that helps....

:drinkup:

scagtiger
08-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Right on, thanks alot Gravel Rat! That makes perfect sence now, seems like you know what your talking about... Not just some guy, "O tuners are bad"..... Like that helps....

:drinkup:

Never said tuners where bad.. ive had a tuner or 2 or 3 on every truck i have had.. and i wasnt talking about the computers on the kenworth i was referring to the comment about putting a bully dog on a normal diesel pickup