PDA

View Full Version : Convert an enclosed trailer door?

nherweck
02-03-2008, 04:34 AM
I'm looking for a trailer, possibly enclosed. I found a 5x10 enclosed that'll do exactly what I want for the next few years, but it has the swing-sideways door compared to the drop down ramp. Is there any way to convert the door to a ramp?

nherweck
02-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Does no one have the answer?

Edgewater
02-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Just build a ramp inside the barn doors than folds down.

MarcSmith
02-04-2008, 10:20 AM
it can be done, and any good trailer shop should be able to do it. but the easiest method is what edge recommended. get some heavy duty hinges. and build your self a ramp.

If you have a shop do it, I imagine you are in for a week of down time on the trailer.....and at least a grand. since you have all the springs and cables, ect to purchase as well since they wont be able to reuse your old "barn doors"

rfed32
02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
why not jst get 2x12 and make ramps or of them. slide them in next to the mowers and ur good togo...and if its a ztr id prob buy the kind of atv ramps u can get at pepboys or homedepot jst for weight reasons....

DoetschOutdoor
02-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Ramps suck even if you have the heavy duty ones for loading ztrs. Its not really the loading its the unloading and then lifting and packing the ramps begins to suck after a long day. I've got a gate made thats hinged to the floor but its not near heavy duty enough. Probably going to check prices soon for trailer/welding shops.

Exact Rototilling
02-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Too many variables here to answer clearly. Often ramps on the single axle trailers are not very heavy duty. 1000 pound load rating sometimes 2000+ pounds. I would think the cost of modifying the current trailer would be better spent on one with ramp from the outset.

My 6 x 12 w/ ramp is shorter than most so the approach angle is a bit more step than others. And the ramp is only rated at 1000 pounds. I have no current plan for any ZTR until post 2009 season.