PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed for Z-spray Jr.

Blink74
02-03-2008, 10:38 AM
I would like to get some feed back on the Z-spary Jr. I know the Zs are great machines but I haven't heard much feed-back on the Jr. specifically. Most of my properties are 6-12k residential (few gates) and a handful of multi-acre properties. I think the Jr. would be my best bet because of the residential plus it fits into my budget better. However, I do like the intermediate because of the wider tires and extra capacity. I would imagine the boom sprayer offer better coverage but could get in the way on the smaller properties.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-03-2008, 10:42 AM
I have a Jr. & love it! I think it has plenty capacity for properties you're talking about. My average size is 18k, but do some large areas of 3-25A wth no problem. Booms don't get in the way like you think they would. It offers much better coverage than a Perma Green. Good luck.

Blink74
02-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Couple of questions:
How wide is the spray pattern?
How is it on hills?
Any problems with traction on soft/wet lawns (sliding, ruts or getting stuck)
Does it completely replace the skid sprayer and push spreader?
Have you ever used the PG or other Zs? if so how does it compare?

Russ
02-03-2008, 01:57 PM
I can't speak to the Jr. but I do have an Intermediate and a Max. There is no problem with ruts or getting stuck with either of the larger unites. For steep hills only fill your hopper 1/2 full , use the extra bag carriers as balance and if you can walk it you can ride it. I haven't used my push spreader in 4 years since I got my first Z the Intermediate. At first I used my skid as a nurse tank but later bought a couple of nurse tanks and use the skid now only for Tree and Shrub apps. with the notable exception of an occasional insect or fungicide app where higher water volumes are required. As a side note the only repair to either machine after 4 years was to the foot switch for spot spraying and that was because I ran over a limb in the yard and broke it.

ted putnam
02-03-2008, 04:51 PM
What's the approx. price of a z-spray jr.?

Victor
02-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Last time I checked, I think they were asking for roughly $7,000, to $8,000 depending on the options you wanted for them. It's been awhile though.

ted putnam
02-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks Victor. I'm getting another ride on this year. Just haven't decided on the PG or the Z-spray.

rcreech
02-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks Victor. I'm getting another ride on this year. Just haven't decided on the PG or the Z-spray.

FYI,

When at the OTF this winter I seen that the Z had gone up quite a bit (can't remember how much) and I know the PG went up like $300-400.

Blink74
02-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I think the Jr. is 7495 and the Intermediate is 8495. I'm trying to decide which is best for me. Price is not a factor. I just wanna be happy whit what I buy for several years. I'm still considering the PG as well, but I'm concerned about the life span of it.

rcreech
02-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Blink,

I wouldn't be scared of the PG's life span.

It is stainless, simple, and easy to run.

I am sure you will be happy with whatever you get....but I would compare the intermediate Z with the PG.

Also keep in mind the width of the intermediate as you will not be able to get through very many gates.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-04-2008, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=rcreech;2133526]

I am sure you will be happy with whatever you get....but I would compare the intermediate Z with the PG.

QUOTE]

Why would you tell him to compare with that? The junior is larger than the perma green, the intermediate is even larger. A more fair comparison would be the junior. Also, the narrow junior can get through 36" gates. It comes down to this-Perma Green is stupid proof, but has limited capabilities, Z-Spray takes a little more "smarts" to operate, but has Many more capabilities, including spray volume changes & bypass agitation.

rcreech
02-04-2008, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=rcreech;2133526]

QUOTE]

Why would you tell him to compare with that? The junior is larger than the perma green, the intermediate is even larger. A more fair comparison would be the junior. Also, the narrow junior can get through 36" gates. It comes down to this-Perma Green is stupid proof, but has limited capabilities, Z-Spray takes a little more "smarts" to operate, but has Many more capabilities, including spray volume changes & bypass agitation.

Liberty,

I am not trying to make this a "Pg vs. Z Spray" posts.

They are both very good machines and very similar (spray and spread machine). When I was looking at the Z a while back and again this winter...just looking at capacities and area covered/machine they were similar.

If you guys say different just let me know. I have never ran the Z...but just looking at it, and by the specs I remember I was thinking I would have to run the intermediate to compare to the PG.

The PG is stupid proof? What makes running a Z any more harder then the PG.

Yes you have booms, can change gallons etc. But that sure doesn't take a genus...just a few more steps and calibration.

My big sprayer has 60 ft booms and I can spray about an acre a minute with a guidence system and an awesome monitor where I can change my rates on the go(Raven)...but any IDIOT could run it! Not sure I see your point where the Z is "complicated"!

I am not sure about your comment...but why not run a "simpler" machine anyway? If the "big companies" are running the Z...it must not take too much "smarts" as you say. :laugh:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-04-2008, 11:35 AM
I don't see the "BIG" companies running the Z, TGCL runs the PG. What I meant was there are many things on a Z-Spray you can change easily, whether or not you mean to.

1)Spread width

2)Spray pressure

2)ON/Off any or all spray nozzles

4)Speed

5)Spray nozzle size.

What does this mean? It means you can change all of these variables to suit the job at hand for different spray volumes, area sizes, chemical formulations, etc. That's great for someone who knows what they are doing, but if you aren't as inclined, the "Stupid Proof" PG is better suited. Since you have pre-set:

1) Spread width

2)Pressure

3)Speed

4)Spray nozzle size

Just remember, not everyone in this business cares enough to learn the ins & outs of the business & need a "Stupid Proof" machine, and the PG fits this well.

Me, I need options!:usflag:

grassman177
02-04-2008, 06:39 PM
i have to agree with you liberty, i have been on many pots about this and the z just has more flexibility to it but both are great and have there purpose.

rcreech
02-04-2008, 07:02 PM
i have to agree with you liberty, i have been on many pots about this and the z just has more flexibility to it but both are great and have there purpose.

I agree with you guys that the Z has more options...but it is far from a "complicted machine"....

That is all I am saying!

BTW Liberty...the big boys over here run Z's as I have seen them pulling them on trailers.

As I said...if their guys can run them, anybody can!

I guess what I am saying is all the things you mentioned (pressure, spray width and speed etc.) are all elementry in this business!

These things are important on all sprayers and ride ons...not just the Z!

Triple R
02-04-2008, 07:33 PM
I am also looking at buying a Z-Spray, here is some pricing and other information I recently recieved from them.
Farther down is a comparison I also recieved.
Hope this information helps.
Triple R

And here is a 36wb on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140203416295&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Thanks for your interest in our machines.

Please find some information attached. Also try our website z-spray.com

Our spreaders spray and spread @ 5 mph, therefore are able to spray and spread 3 acres per hour.

All our sparayers are 68" front to back, with varying widths.

Junior 36= 36"
Junior = 40"
Intermediate= 46"
Z-Max = 54"

All machines have a 1 year parts warranty, the Kawasaki engine is warranted thru Kawasaki.

We do not have support in California, but we keep all parts in stock, and are able to ship for next day delivery.

2008 PRICING Z-SPRAY UNITS

50’ HOSE REEL / ALL STAINLESS STEEL CHASSIS HYDRAULIC HOPPER MOTOR / TWO 50LB. FERTILIZER TRAYS

Z-MAX / INTERMEDIATE / JUNIOR___

15HP Kawasaki engine / 15 HP Kawasaki engine / 15 HP Kawasaki engine
50 gal. spray system / 18 gal. spray system / 18 gal. spray system

300 lbs fertilizer cap. / 300 lbs fertilizer cap. / 200 lbs fertilizer cap.

With GPS and suspension / With GPS and suspension / With GPS and suspension

foot plate / foot plate / foot plate

List Price: $10,295.00 / List Price: $9,295.00 /List Price: $8,395.00
DIRECT PRICE: $9,295.00 / $8,395.00 / $7,695.00

___JUNIOR 36” _ _____ WB-36____

36” OVERALL WIDTH

15 HP Kawasaki engine / 4 HP Honda engine

18 gal. spray system / 8 gal. spray system

110 lbs fertilizer cap. / 110 lbs hopper.

List Price: $8,395.00 / List Price: $4,395.00

DIRECT PRICE: DIRECT PRICE:

$7,695.00 / $3,595.00

SPRAYER ATTACHMENTS

20 Gallon Auxiliary Tank

Includes mounting frame, quick release fittings, and hoses………………..Direct price: $367.00

8 Gallon Specialty Tank

Includes mounting frame, fittings, and hoses……………………...………...Direct price: $305.00

Z-SPRAY verses PERMA GREEN

We are often asked this question so we decided to point them out. Listed are several differences between the two units. The Perma Green is a fine machine but owners need to compare apples to apples when looking at both machines.

Z-Spray Junior Standard Z-Spray Perma Green

Spray Capacity: 20 gallon 40 gallon 12 gallon

Spray Boom; 4 nozzle A.I air 5 nozzle A.I. air 2 nozzle floods

Induction. Induction.

Boom Width: 8’ in three sections 10’ in three sections 10’

(Each section has it’s own valve and can be ran independently)

Spray Pump: 5gpm pump with agitation. 1.6 gpm pump no agitation.

Spray Rate: 1/3 gallon per 1000 sq.ft. up to 1/8 to Ό gallon

1 gallon per 1000 sq. ft per 1000

Spot Spray 50’ hose reel standard both units. 1 quart squeeze bottle.

Spray Material: Will spray wetable powders. Will not spray wetable powders

L.T. RICH PRODUCTS INC

Z-SPRAY Z-PLUGR

Z-Spray Junior Standard Z-Spray Perma Green

Fertilizer capacity; 200 lbs. 300 lbs. 150 lbs.

Spinner drive: Hydraulic spinner motor with speed Engine drive. control. Can vary width from 2’ to 25’ wide. Fixed width.

Spinner Material: Stainless Steel Nylon

Calibration: Digital speedometer standard Stop watch

Engine: 15 HP V-Twin 15 HP V-Twin 6.5 HP Kawasaki Kawasaki Honda

Transmission: All hydrostatic pump wheel/motor 4 speed gear box

Manufacture: Hydro Gear Peerless

Steering: Zero Turn (2 joysticks Operator body steer

with adjustable speed bar)

Ground Speed: 8 mph max forward 4 mph max forward

5 reverse 2 reverse

Hill Side Stability: 40” wide w/b 52” wide w/b 36” wide w/b

(100 lbs of fert. can be add to rear of ) (no weight option)

(unit to aid in stability)

Spread and Spray: (Spread pattern can be adjusted to match spray) (No adjustment)

Blink74
02-04-2008, 09:20 PM
For what it's worth I've demoed the PG twice and while it is better than dragging hoses, It's not the perfect machine. I haven't operated the Z, but I have seen it in person and it looks to be a better machine in terms of features and build quality. Having said that, based on my budget and needs (or lack there of) the PG could still be the machine for me. As I see it, the Z Jr. is the equivalent to the PG and I'm trying to get feedback in order help me make a buying decision.

BTW: I have been investigating this subject for some time and I will say I've not heard one bad thing about Zs.

Victor
02-05-2008, 01:19 AM

Man Ted. It sure sounds like business is going well for you. :)

ted putnam
02-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Man Ted. It sure sounds like business is going well for you. :)

Victor,
I should have said "I would like to buy another ride on this year." :laugh: I have to see how the Spring sales season goes first. I had a substantial price increase this year and will have to spend the extra money somewhere. I'm not bragging, I just made some initial miscalculations on how much I needed to increase.I was worried about the fallout but so far have only lost 12 customers. I had a lot of trouble this past year keeping a part time employee. I now think I have that problem solved. I read an interesting article in a magazine I subscribe to called Landscape Management. The article gave solutions to dealing with labor force problems. One of the solutions was automation. Getting more from our ever decreasing and ever more valuable time. I have a PG Ultra and would like to turn that over to my part timer and get myself into something new. More production from both of us in the same amount of time. We'll see!

ted putnam
02-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Like Blink, I have not heard anything negative about the z's. I did have a couple of questions for Liberty and/or anyone else who has run the z-spray. How has this "patented hydraulic impeller drive" been for you? Have you had any problems? repairs? Is fertilizer/ corrosion an issue as far as the spreader portion of the machine? Have you had any problems with the machine above and beyond normal wear and tear?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Ted, No I haven't had any issues with it & I Love it! The hydraulic spreader works great! It sure beats having an electric motor used in that environment. Being able to adjust spread width really helps when doing narrow strips, or wide open areas. I do some soccer fields that I adjust the spread to ~20' wide & really get it done fast! (when spreading fert. only). Being able to set speeds also alows you to fly when doing large, open areas.

I use it to it"s full potential, running spraying Drive (dry flowable) & some wettable powders formulations of fungecides & ec's through it where adgitation is needed. I also like the 50' hose reel it has for those hard to reach places & trim work.

ted putnam
02-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Ted, No I haven't had any issues with it & I Love it! The hydraulic spreader works great! It sure beats having an electric motor used in that environment. Being able to adjust spread width really helps when doing narrow strips, or wide open areas. I do some soccer fields that I adjust the spread to ~20' wide & really get it done fast! (when spreading fert. only).

Thanks Liberty,
That's what I needed to know. I looked at the turf tracker and it looked pretty much the same except it had an electric motor to drive the impeller. I could see nothing but problems with that. The Z is more expensive than the PG, but like you said in an earlier post, It would be nice to have some options...just like the ones in your quote above. Man... you've got me seriously leaning that way...

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
I end up fixing a lot of lawn problems that other companies "were not able to fix", because I run a large arsenal of chemicals. I think some companies use 3-way & thats it... Most mowing contractors run a PG, and that's it, so they can't apply fungecides, etc. I like to have all options availible to me. It is nice to be able to mix small batches of expensive "designer" chemicals to be sprayed when needed. That is 1 thing it has over a skid sprayer.

grassman177
02-05-2008, 11:40 PM
i know first hand about electric motors using three jrco spreaders for our z mowers for non liquid apps. they work really well, but have had trouble with corrosion withthe motors and have had to replace some older ones, but still satisfied with them.

havin gthe hydro drive spreader on my zspray is real cool. it is smooth too. it is wierd though i find that to spread 15 ft(the proper width for spread spray combo) taht it looks like the impeller is hardly even moving yet it does the job. man you have the ability to really crank it far if you spread only with it for real large acreage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blink74
02-06-2008, 03:03 AM
I think I'm gonna get a Z-intermediate. It seem to be the best option for me. I figure if area is too small I can use the built-in hose reel or a backpack sprayer. I'm gonna hold on to my skid sprayer just in case. I might need it anyhow if I decide to get my tree and shrub license.

Russ
02-06-2008, 06:25 AM
I end up fixing a lot of lawn problems that other companies "were not able to fix", because I run a large arsenal of chemicals. I think some companies use 3-way & thats it... Most mowing contractors run a PG, and that's it, so they can't apply fungecides, etc. I like to have all options availible to me. It is nice to be able to mix small batches of expensive "designer" chemicals to be sprayed when needed. That is 1 thing it has over a skid sprayer.

I couldn't agree more about the versatility of the machine as well as the dependability,

Before I got the Z's I ran a Lesco Truckster on a dedicated mower. I was lucky to get 1.5 years out of the electric motor. It's amazing how well that hydraulic motor works

TRL
02-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Apparently, a couple new products coming to market this year...

http://www.northernturfequipment.com ss220
Turfco later in 2008

I'm wondering the ss220 is worth considering over the z-spray jr.

Russ
02-15-2008, 06:27 AM
I'm wondering the ss220 is worth considering over the z-spray jr.
NO WAY can that be compared to any Z-spray