PDA

View Full Version : Need help with company name

Summerscapes
02-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Looking to start up a Low Voltage Lighting company and am looking for advice on a name. I want to incorporate the word Summerscapes in there somewhere.

choices so far:
1. Summerscapes Outdoor Lighting or SOL for short
2. Summerscapes
3. Summerscapes Outdoor Services (not too keen on SOS...but I guess I could use it to my advantage)

Thanks!

NightScenes
02-03-2008, 04:35 PM
How about Illuminations by Summerscapes? SOL sounds like $#@t out a luck, if you know what I mean.

Mike M
02-03-2008, 04:58 PM
SOL sounds like $#@t out a luck.

HA HA HA

Paul--that's it--my new name!

Mike M
02-03-2008, 05:18 PM
"Seasonscapes" with four divisions, or just three divisions with three months off each year.

Or if you do irrigation, too, how about Sprinklers Plus? Or Sprinklescapes, in fact, I've been thinking about all the scapes and how many more there must be.

Mulchscapes, Mowscapes, poopscapes (dog material removal), landscapescapes, forumscapes, H&R Block for taxscaping, softscapes (anything not hardscapes), handyscapes, roofscapes, plumbscapes, carpetscapes, and a bunch of military scapes, like warscaping, bombscaping, waragainstterrorscaping, etc.

Or... Maybe I don't like my lightscapes anymore and advise against namescapes of any scape.

laterscapes,

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Mike is that lightscapes or lightscrapes? :laugh:

With all of the market convergence going on these days I would expect some big multinationals come knocking and suggest all of the Nightscapes and Lightscapes that exist out there to band together into one big giant conglomerate... NightLightScapes! Think of the possibilities!

irrig8r
02-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Looking to start up a Low Voltage Lighting company and am looking for advice on a name. I want to incorporate the word Summerscapes in there somewhere.

choices so far:
2. Summerscapes
3. Summerscapes Outdoor Services (not too keen on SOS...but I guess I could use it to my advantage)

Thanks!

Years ago I had a phone number for my business that was 379-LAWN.
Then we went into a period of about 3 years of drought and I wasn't doing much sod lawn installtion work... but at some point I realized that 379 spelled D-R-Y.

I used it to my advantage in some community newpaper ads and did a mailing promoting conversions to drip irrigation...

So, S-O-S is not a bad idea if you can work with it...

ChampionLS
02-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Make sure your name is available as a business by checking with your county clerk's office. If it's clear, the next step would be to choose a name thats also available on the Internet. Your business name and your Internet name should be very close.

Whichever domain name you go with, set up your email to work with your website. I.E. info@somerscapes.com It's tacky to have somerscapes.com and use aol, hotmail, or yahoo etc.

ChampionLS
02-03-2008, 11:41 PM
James.. did you know your domain name is one character off from Integral Lighting's domain name? They just use a hyphen between their words.

steveparrott
02-04-2008, 08:16 AM
While it may seem boring, using the words "outdoor lighting" in both the company name and URL will fare best in terms of search engine results. When homeowners search for landscape lighting, they most often use the terms "outdoor lighting". Next in popularity is "landscape lighting".

Part of Google's approach to satisfy their users is to put more weight in the company name and url, then to search the home page to make sure that the text contains the same words.

Homeowners are also quite likely to search "outdoor lighting {city, county or state}". That's why I'm always happy when a company incorporates their region in their company name; e.g. Carolina Outdoor Lighting, New England Outdoor Lighting. At the very least, the web home page should mention the regions served. It's amazing how many sites I visit where regions are never mentioned and sometimes there's not even a physical address!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-04-2008, 08:29 AM
James.. did you know your domain name is one character off from Integral Lighting's domain name? They just use a hyphen between their words.

Never noticed that Anthony... of course theirs is the tongue twister so they are welcome to it! I am pretty sure my Name / Site came first, and as nice as Integral is, it does not convey the same character, depth or layers of meaning that INTEGRA does.

What me worry? :sleeping:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-04-2008, 08:36 AM

choices so far:
2. Summerscapes

Thanks!

What's in a name? EVERYTHING!

You want to really think forward before you pick a name. What do you want this new enterprise to be in 10 years? Is it an add on? Is it a standalone entity that you want to have brand recognition of in a marketplace, or is it just a technical and commercial formality, an extension of your personal work.

If I was going to 're-do' my company from the ground up knowing what I know now and seeing where my business is heading, I would seriously consider incorporating my Personal name into the business. Then as you grow, incorporate, etc you can bring that moniker under a corporate name as a division.

Talk to a business consultant before you set things up. It all depends on your goals and directions for the business.

Regards.

Mike M
02-04-2008, 10:22 AM
My new name:

"Southcarolinaoutdoorlightingscapes" or "Integrascapes"

JoeyD
02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Whatever you decide your name should explain exactly what it is you do. You want a homeowner who sees your name to be able to undertsand what your profession is. James has a name that works for him but not in a million years would I think he does lighting. If a person is looking for Landscape Lighting you want them to know you do Landscpae Lighting or Outdoor Lighting. K.I.S.S. especially with a new company name in a niche market.

Summerscapes
03-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the input fellas!

I'm prolly gonna go with Summerscapes Outdoor Lighting...I can use SOL (meaning sun in spanish) as an acronym. This will either be a stand alone company or eventually a subset of another company...but I want it to have it's own identity.

pete scalia
03-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the input fellas!

I'm prolly gonna go with Summerscapes Outdoor Lighting...I can use SOL (meaning sun in spanish) as an acronym. This will either be a stand alone company or eventually a subset of another company...but I want it to have it's own identity.

Hyde park NY? Isn't that where Teddy Roosevelt's house is?

Summerscapes
03-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Hyde park NY? Isn't that where Teddy Roosevelt's house is?

FDR's House...

pete scalia
03-09-2008, 07:47 PM
FDR's House...

That's right thanks I always confuse the 2. Teddy's home on sagamore hill is here on LI in Oyster Bay. Shame on me.

Pro-Scapes
03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
once upon a time I was in your same predicament... I chose my name carefully and its worked for us. Sometimes I wouldnt mind changing my logo but after a few years out in the market its finally branded as a company you can trust. The garden show this weekend proved that just in the network connections when other business owners made comments like "oh you did so and so's house" or "yeah I saw you guys"

The Lighting Geek
03-11-2008, 12:41 AM
I just wanted a name that sounded insulting...to me...LOL I even asked the sign guy to put it on my truck like somebody tagged my ride.

pihta
03-18-2008, 12:33 PM
We didn't think too much on our name and choose 'Landscape Light' (in our language of course). And now I thought that this name is somehow limit us in our job (for example - lighting commercial structures in the city - its not landscape anymore).

So choose wisely.
For ex. Kichler - what is it about? Just name and that's all. You can sell anything. But they got 'Kichler Landscape Lighting' just to describe customers of their goods.

You can choose short name and make it a logo. It will fit anywhere (postcard, business card etc). But when you have more space - add 'Landscape lighting' on the bottom. Can be good too.