PDA

View Full Version : Case 450c dozer

kyle 03
02-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi i am wondering if anyone has experience on a case 450? I would like to know the limitations of the machine. The majority of the work i will be doing will be small work such as finish work or removing the topsoil for a poll building or cutting a driveway here and there. How would an 850d fit into the mix? Would that be too much dozer for smaller projects? Transportation is not an issue. I just need to know if the ajility of the small 450 will be more benificial then the power of the 850? thanks

SouthernLandworks
02-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I think in your situation you would be better off with the 450. The 850 is a good size dozer and I think it will be too much for what you need. The 450 would be able to do the same work as the 850 if you needed it to, It just would take longer, But for the small jobs the size of the 450 will come in handy. Thought about maybe a 550 or 650??

kyle 03
02-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Thats what i was thinking. The seem to be more in my price range. I am just getting into the dozer market. I was thinking about possibly more bang for your buck on the 850. What should i be looking for on a good 450. I was thinking the C model is what i would like. How does a 450 do cutting a driveway?

SouthernLandworks
02-03-2008, 10:30 PM
How it will do cutting a driveway varies greatly on what type of soil and land you are working with. I think it will do just fine though. There is a very nice '87 model 450C on machinerytrader priced at $21,000. That looks like a very nice machine but maybe a little on the high side as far as the price goes.

dozerman21
02-03-2008, 11:51 PM
450's are very capable machines and are great for smaller lots and finish work. Do you have a certain amout that you want to spend? I would suggest going up to a 550. The worst thing with a 450 and some of the older 550's is the blade shims are a pain, and I don't like having the track controls between my legs. The newer style is in front of your left arm pad... much more comfortable especially on a long day. If you go to a 550, the H Series are the most current, and that's when they changed the blade set up. I have a lot of time on small Case dozers, and pushed them pretty hard. I'm currently at around 7,000 hours on my 550H that I use daily.

The 850's have more grunt, the worst thing is if you get in mud they can bogg down and make you run in low. Too me they're too heavy and big for light grading, but they do push good. We have an 855D loader that we use. At one time we had an 850D dozer, but found it wasn't any quicker at grading most lots, and we didn't really need the extra weight and push power for most jobs. The 450/550 can handle the same work, it just might take a little longer on some jobs. I would suggest the 450/550 for what it sounds like you're going to use yours.

kyle 03
02-04-2008, 12:40 AM
ok so is the 550 worth the big price difference?

Dirt Digger2
02-04-2008, 08:41 AM

it shouldnt be too big a difference...and yes

kyle 03
02-04-2008, 03:55 PM
from what i am seeing if you have a 550E and a 450C with the same number of hours and condition of the undercarrage the 550E will be at least 10 grand more.

Dirt Digger2
02-04-2008, 05:50 PM
those that you are finding probably down in the $16K price range are higher hour tractors that are going to need some work. A good reliable dozer for that size will run you probably around $27k. Dozer's are not like tractors, where you can buy a beat up one and put a little money into it and make it nice. Parts for dozer's are expensive, if you see something that low in price usually means its going to need something new in the the undercarriage...whether it be tracks, idlers, or rollers...they are all expensive.

dozerman21
02-04-2008, 08:47 PM

I guess it really depends on how often you will use the machine. If it's going to be on a regular basis, I'd go with a later 550 with a turbo engine. If you're only buying this machine to use once every so often and you don't want to spend around 30K, then yeah go with the 450.

Like Dirt said, keep in mind the U/C and replacement costs. At least with that, you can see and hear the wear. I'd be more worried about internal things like the tranny if you're considering a high hour machine. If you could find a lower hour 450C, that might be your best bet.

kyle 03
02-04-2008, 09:27 PM
I am not going to get into a high hour machine. Ther are some low hour 450's out ther hard to find though. How many hours is an engine on them good for or for that matter how many hours is too many hours. all of my equipment so far is low hours used stuff. I have been the second owner and i have nothing over 2000hrs. There are a few 450's with under 2000 hrs on them. Is there anything i need to look for on those machines specifically for problems? From what i understand is those engines are sleeveless. Can anyone conferm that? Also i know nothing about the transmissions in these dozers.

dozerman21
02-05-2008, 12:35 AM
If the 450's also have the B Series Case/Cummins (Consolidate) engines, which I think they do, then they should be sleeveless. Those motors will outlast most machines.

Most of the 450's I see are high hour and somewhat beat up. I'm sure you can find a lower hour machine that's been taken care of if you take your time. Make sure the machine has been greased regularly and the blade isn't loose. See if you have to push down hard on the brakes to steer. As they get older they wear down you have to push much harder to turn when you can't use the track speeds. Check the response time from forward/reverse back and forth. If it hesitates or squeels it could be a sign of worn clutches or the torque convertor going out.

If you find a machine that needs an undercarriage but is selling at a great price, a new U/C will run you somewhere around $8K for everything (not from a dealer) and you can install it yourself in a day with someone helping.

Lanmark1
02-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Kyle Ive got two 450 Case dozers for sale. Located In Northern Ohio between Cleveland and Akron. Let me know if you are interested.

kyle 03
02-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Yea i would like some information on them. any pictures?

Lanmark1
02-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Kyle no pics. You can reach me at 216-214-3227 my name is Brian Thanks.

kyle 03
02-09-2008, 09:03 PM
While we are on the subject of dozers. I see some dozers with triple grouser pads like the ones on excavators. What is the advantage or disadvantage to these?

Dirt Digger2
02-09-2008, 09:50 PM
theres is no advantage to a triple grouser dozer...the only one possible would be that it doesn't tear up pavement as much...you get less traction with triples. singles are good for heavy pushing, and doubles are good for final grading...triples are useless...i don't even like them on trackhoes

Scag48
02-10-2008, 05:16 AM
Yep, triples suck on dozers, only good if you're on pavement when compared to a single grouser pad. Single grouser is the only way to roll on a dozer.