PDA

View Full Version : Is $1,200 a good price?

Ned5485
02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
I am needing to get a bigger trailer this year. I found a used 18 x 8 deck over trailer for $1200. It has two 3500lb axles, but no brakes. It does not have a ramp or gate either. Everything seems to be in good working condition. The owner says it has new lights, wiring, jack, and floor. The tires are about 80%. I have only been looking for a trailer for a little while, but the price seems good to me.

What do you guys think? If I miss out on this one, what do you think I should expect to pay for this size/set up? Also, How much will it cost me to get brakes on 1 axle, and a gate, or more likely ramps?

And I was wondering what I could expect to get for my current trailer. It is a double axle 6.5 x 12 with wood floor and a fold down gate. It is just the standard open landscape/utility trailer. The same kind that you see 90% of people using.

Thanks,
Ned

RGM
02-03-2008, 10:55 PM
You better check the weight class see it its legal for you to pull

Ned5485
02-03-2008, 11:01 PM
What do you mean? What about its weight limit makes a trailer legal or illegal? It is supposedly rated at 7,000lbs, but just found out there is a whole other mess of problems. One of which is there is no paperwork or title.

RGM
02-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Its what you truck is rated to pull

Sundancekid74
02-04-2008, 05:04 PM
No title/No deal. You have to have a title to be legally registered and tagged. With no brakes, no gate, and no title I would offer about $650. What in the world are you gonna do with a trailer with no title? You would have to say it is homemade and be prepared to have a dot agent or state boy come check it for approval. You can get a title from MVA for a homebuilt trailer; like I said dot or stateboy will come verify. $650 tops; you might steal it for somewhat less. For all you know it may be stolen.

pcgovols
02-04-2008, 05:28 PM
I am needing to get a bigger trailer this year. I found a used 18 x 8 deck over trailer for $1200. It has two 3500lb axles, but no brakes. It does not have a ramp or gate either. Everything seems to be in good working condition. The owner says it has new lights, wiring, jack, and floor. The tires are about 80%. I have only been looking for a trailer for a little while, but the price seems good to me.

What do you guys think? If I miss out on this one, what do you think I should expect to pay for this size/set up? Also, How much will it cost me to get brakes on 1 axle, and a gate, or more likely ramps?

And I was wondering what I could expect to get for my current trailer. It is a double axle 6.5 x 12 with wood floor and a fold down gate. It is just the standard open landscape/utility trailer. The same kind that you see 90% of people using.

Thanks,
Ned

Let me know when you are interested in getting rid of your trailer.

bigclawn
02-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Ned& pcgovols, I may be able to help out with trailers as we have switched to flat bed trucks

Jim

Ned5485
02-05-2008, 05:40 AM
No title/No deal. You have to have a title to be legally registered and tagged. With no brakes, no gate, and no title I would offer about $650. What in the world are you gonna do with a trailer with no title? You would have to say it is homemade and be prepared to have a dot agent or state boy come check it for approval. You can get a title from MVA for a homebuilt trailer; like I said dot or stateboy will come verify. $650 tops; you might steal it for somewhat less. For all you know it may be stolen.

Yeah, the lack of title pretty much made me lose interest. I had to go through all those hoops with th state several years ago with a $40 trailer I bought at a garage sale. I didnt find out there was no title on this one until after I posted.

You think $650 is reasonable for that trailer? I am not going to buy it.(your right it could very well be stolen) But, I will need one that big failry soon, and I figured I was going to pay alot more than $650. Or, is $650 because of no title?

Ned5485
02-05-2008, 05:42 AM
PCGOVOLS,

How soon do you need one? It has no brakes. I definitely will need to sell it when I get a new one. What kind of offer can you make?

GreenN'Clean
02-08-2008, 09:17 AM
I have a 7 x 14 open trailer thats only been used a few times, its like new I bought it for $1700 and selling it for $1200.00. I was able to fir to ZTR on it and a push mower

Mike Fronczak
02-08-2008, 11:23 AM
This info is for NY. To register that railer will be a pain if not impossible, to register it as homemade you would need reciepts from most everything (steel, axles, tires, etc.). Then mained to state for review, big pain in the butt. In NY you need brakes on both axles, if the brakes will fit the existing axles, minimum I would guess $ 400 (brakes @ TSC for replcement a job, drums & assembly), if yo do it yourself & they fit. If you look I bet you can find a NEW traler (16') for under $ 2200.00, probably less than $ 2000.00.