PDA

View Full Version : pre-emergent for crab grass

tbrom
02-04-2008, 06:40 AM
I live in the central Texas area and have an established St. Augustine lawn. When is the best time to put down a pre-emergent for crab grass and what is the best pre-emergent to use? Thanks for any and all replies!

RigglePLC
02-04-2008, 10:17 AM
In Michigan I try to get the crabgrass control down before the air temperature hits a high of 80 degrees. In our area this corresponds to a Growing Degree Days of about 275.

I use Dimension with good results, however with a longer growing season--I would expect you would need to apply it again about 8 weeks apart.

Read the label carefully. Be sure to use the higher (southern) rate, especially if you want to be sure.

VO Landscape Design
02-04-2008, 11:54 AM
When the Forsythia are blooming apply pre emergent crab grass control. Thats what my "teacher" says.
VO

New Bern Bear
02-04-2008, 12:31 PM
In a word ... Ronstar
A true pre-emergent that does not tend to root prune existing grasses. A bit higher priced ... but, it works excellent.

Armadillolawncare
02-04-2008, 11:01 PM
The best time is before the soil temp reaches 55 degrees. I also am in central Texas and plan on putting down pre emerge this year late February, early March depending on the weather between now and the end of the month. I will taking soil temps in my yard to know when I should start.

quiet
02-04-2008, 11:04 PM
For our area I recommend getting it done around the end of this month. We'll see some crabgrass beginto germinate as early as April 1, but it's usually mid-April before we see it really take off.

But how good are you at predicting the weather around here? Last April we had an ice storm on Easter Sunday. But in 2006 we hit 98 on April 1 and stayed blazing hot!

tbrom
02-05-2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks for all the input. It has been very helpful!!!!!!!

RAlmaroad
02-05-2008, 06:24 AM
The best time is before the soil temp reaches 55 degrees. I also am in central Texas and plan on putting down pre emerge this year late February, early March depending on the weather between now and the end of the month. I will taking soil temps in my yard to know when I should start.

Exactly!!!! Use either straight Dimension or Barricade or a combo of fertilizer that will give you about 1lb of Nitrogen/I000sq. ft. of turf in accordance with the label reccomendation or pre-emergent. You will have to follow up the fertilizer in about 4 weeks as St. Augustine needs 1lb/month during the growing season until about August.

vegomatic40
02-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Unless the label has been changed, Ronstar cannot be used on Home Lawns.