PDA

View Full Version : Basic equip. for application

VO Landscape Design
02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
I will be graduating in May with a AA in Horticulture Technologies and will have my applicators license. I would like to know the basic equip. for a one man operation for mainly residential property's. This won't be my main part of the business just an "extra". Our area has a few larger company's from out of town so I believe there will be a need for this service here. Liquid and granular application, nothing real fancy but still can do a quality job.
Thanks
VO

Whitey4
02-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I think it depends on the size of the properties you expect to be managing. Most of my properties are very small.... like 3 to 5k of turf, and another 1 to 2k of beds and ornamentals, with a lot of obstacles and small areas to cover.

I use two 4 gallon backpack sprayers, one broadcast spreader, and a drop spreader for small narrow strips of turf which we have a lot of here. I like to keep my herbicide sprayer and pesticide sprayers seperate. I also have several 32 oz atomizers for spot spraying... but that has more to do with local law compliance here. I would imagine that you would need a PG or something that can cover more acrage. Congrats on getting your AA.

fertguy2008
02-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Basic equipment huh?
Anyone could say a 200 gal tank and a good spreader out of the gate, but Whitey is right depends on the size of the residential properties you plan to target.

americanlawn
02-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I will be graduating in May with a AA in Horticulture Technologies and will have my applicators license. I would like to know the basic equip. for a one man operation for mainly residential property's. This won't be my main part of the business just an "extra". Our area has a few larger company's from out of town so I believe there will be a need for this service here. Liquid and granular application, nothing real fancy but still can do a quality job.
Thanks
VO

Congrats on your degree! :usflag:

I'm very familiar with your area & the cities nearby. BTW one of my guys spent two years there, but it was not a college (if you get my drift):laugh:

My guess on basic equip: 3/4 ton truck with eight foot bed (4x4?), 200 gallon spray tank, Hannay electric hose reel w/400' hose (1/2 inch hose), Hypro D-30 pump w/Honda 5.5 engine. TeeJet lawn gun (grey nozzle). Spyker super 288 lawn spreader that fits onto a rear hitch receiver on your truck.

You (or anyone else on this site) are always welcome to PM me. I surely don't know it all, but "I've been to a few county fairs":laugh:

Whitey4
02-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Congrats on your degree! :usflag:

I'm very familiar with your area & the cities nearby. BTW one of my guys spent two years there, but it was not a college (if you get my drift):laugh:

My guess on basic equip: 3/4 ton truck with eight foot bed (4x4?), 200 gallon spray tank, Hannay electric hose reel w/400' hose (1/2 inch hose), Hypro D-30 pump w/Honda 5.5 engine. TeeJet lawn gun (grey nozzle). Spyker super 288 lawn spreader that fits onto a rear hitch receiver on your truck.

You (or anyone else on this site) are always welcome to PM me. I surely don't know it all, but "I've been to a few county fairs":laugh:

Ah, contraire! I do believe you know everything! Did you win the heffer blue ribbon?

VO Landscape Design
02-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. Checking our area for the equipment.
VO

RigglePLC
02-05-2008, 02:26 PM
I agree with you on the 32 ounce sprayers Whitey. Very convenient and a good substitute for bulky inconvenient hand sprayers. I have five and carry one on my Permagreen. I had to enlarge the bottle holder--lol. I use one for clean water--to wash my hands. One for Manage. One for Drive. One for Speedzone. Spare for whatever.

Whitey4
02-05-2008, 06:12 PM
I agree with you on the 32 ounce sprayers Whitey. Very convenient and a good substitute for bulky inconvenient hand sprayers. I have five and carry one on my Permagreen. I had to enlarge the bottle holder--lol. I use one for clean water--to wash my hands. One for Manage. One for Drive. One for Speedzone. Spare for whatever.

They are very handy...even more so here. We have this "Neighbor Notification Act". If you are gong to spray, you have to inform abutting property owners in writing 48 hours before the app. However, if you only "spot spray" in areas (plural) that are smaller than 10X10, and use a 32 oz or smaller sprayer.... no notification required.

Don't know how that loophole got past the politicians who want to make names for themselves by claiming this law could help prevent cancer and generally only serves to scare people, but it makes life a lot easier.