PDA

View Full Version : 22 Hp Kohler

fourbybud
02-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Ive got an older 22 hp Kohler. Model #CV22S. When I engage the PTO electric clutch the engine seems bog down like there is no tomorrow. I have done everything I can think of. Plugs, filters, carb rebuilt, muffler, and the old pull one plug wire off at a time(no difference on either cylinder). I have even taken the belts off of the blades so there is no load on the engine when the clutch is engaged. Could this be a bad PTO clutch or maybe both ignition coils are going bad?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

lawnbutch
02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
You might check the engine compression to set if it is up to or near spec.

Restrorob
02-04-2008, 12:52 PM
I would suggest looking closer at a bearing trying to lock down in the clutch.

fourbybud
02-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Don't know why but I never thought of that. Looks like ive got something to do tonight. Any idea what the compression should be?
Thanks again.

lawnbutch
02-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Don't know why but I never thought of that. Looks like ive got something to do tonight. Any idea what the compression should be?
Thanks again.

Restrorob can you answer that question??

Restrorob
02-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Sure I can. But, A good clutch isn't enough load (with no belt) to shut a engine down even if it had less than 120 lbs.....

AmsoilPower
02-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks again.

100-140 psi is good

lawnbutch
02-04-2008, 09:41 PM
There a go, check the compression and if it checks good go to the clutch. good luck!!

fourbybud
02-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Checked the compression last night 130 and 135. I think I can rule that out as a problem.

Landrus2
02-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Are we forgetting to see if the governor is with in specs? :drinkup:

Ridin' Around
02-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Ive got an older 22 hp Kohler. Model #CV22S. When I engage the PTO electric clutch the engine seems bog down like there is no tomorrow. I have done everything I can think of. Plugs, filters, carb rebuilt, muffler, and the old pull one plug wire off at a time(no difference on either cylinder). I have even taken the belts off of the blades so there is no load on the engine when the clutch is engaged. Could this be a bad PTO clutch or maybe both ignition coils are going bad?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

I would check the flywheel key as well it may be partially sheared changing your timing a little bit which shows up under the load. Just something to check.

Indy Kyle
02-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Is it killing the engine? If so maybe it's a safety switch.

fourbybud
02-05-2008, 09:47 AM
No it is not killing the engine. I seems like it is taking away about half the power. Almost as if you were starting to engage the choke.
Could it be electrical back feed from the clutch to the coils?

themowerman
02-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Just a silly question....Are you sure both cylinders are firing? I will usually point a thermal prob at the exhaust ports to see if they are close to the same temp. You could have a bad plug, coil, or blown head gasket. Does it sound louder than normal?

Fisher40037
02-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Post your spec numbers so we can see if your engine has
"Smart Spark", they can be troublesome. Especially if the clutch is affecting the voltage supplied to the "Smart Spark" unit. You might also check your voltage at the battery when you engage the clutch.

Fish

fourbybud
02-06-2008, 09:52 AM
I will get the specs. What in the world is "SmartSpark"? Never heard of it before.

fourbybud
02-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Here are the numbers, 5kh624d16r8, cv22s, 67537. Those are on the engine.
Mower numbers are 10456, gdsz22khe. Hope these are what I need. Thanks in advance.

Fisher40037
02-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Yes, your engine has a S.A.M. module, or "Smartspark".
So to check things out you will need an accurate voltmeter.
If the voltage to the S.A.M. gets low enough, then you can get some screwy running conditions. You might look for corroded connections, like at the back of the key switch, or pto, etc.

Fish

fourbybud
02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Thank you very much for the info. Can you tell me where this thing is located and what it looks like?

themowerman
02-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Check the SAM unit as fisher has said and also look around the cylinder head for dirt and oil....you may have a head gasket gone bad....Sometimes you won't see that much of a compression drop and you won't see that much of a difference when you pull one plug wire at a time....

Fisher40037
02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Sorry, got busy here at work with the storms.

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp_i=1&sp_q=cv22s+manual&sp_a=sp100335cd&sp_f=ISO-8859-1&x=16&y=10

Go to this link off of Kohler's website and download the service manual, it will tell you all you need to know.

Fish

If no link appears just go to their website and do a search for "manuals".

SILVERSTREAK INC
02-08-2008, 05:43 PM
WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT if your bogging down like no tomorrow when you turn on the pto almost like something is stuck in your blades it is the clutch

it will keep going bad but youll get a few more uses out of it until bang your in the middle of a pass and the motor locks up like its run out of oil, when you try to start it it will just click like the motor is siezed

stupid me went and bought a new motor, put the new kohler on and click click again ....the clutch siezed open so that the holder bracket was keeping the motor from turning, usually when clutches take a crap the go out the other way and simply wont engage

a 1400motor + 250clutch dollar stupid mistake

and i didnt believe it but yes when the clutch bearing is going it is definately enough to bog or kill the motor

fourbybud
02-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Okay, finally had time to mess with it again tonight. Voltage at battery when running with or without clutch enagaged is 14.68-14.88 volts. That seems good to me. I did the old pull one plug wire at a time trick again and this time something was different. One side nothing seemed to change, on the other side it ran worse and if the plug wire was within 2" of any metal it would spark. Checked the other side, again, no major spark. Don't know why I didn't notice this before, must have been lighter then. Anyway, I think I will try a set of coils.

Turfhead
02-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Have You Checked To See Where The Engine Rpms Are At. We Had One That Did This And I Think The Govenor Was Our Problem. You Might Check That.