PDA

View Full Version : How to Calibrate a John Deere Gator w/ Boom Sprayer

New Bern Bear
02-04-2008, 12:15 PM
We have purchased a JD Gator with a boom sprayer ... Nice set-up ... but, how to calibrate? The top speed is 20 mph on the unit. Is there a green block of wood one can purchase that will limit the top end speed to a more appropriate and reasonable speed that can be duplicated each time?

Your input is most welcome.

fertguy2008
02-04-2008, 12:30 PM
You can do a bucket test, with gallon markings, on one of the nozzles to measure your output/minute. (or if you have something long enough you can time all the nozzles over a 1 minute period and dump the contents of the long tray into a bucket is marked with gallon marks) Multiply by the total number of nozzles, and you have your total output per minute. Then figure out how long it takes you to spray 1000 or 2000 square ft. (the speed is up to you). If it takes you 30 seconds to spray 1000 square feet and your total output in a minute is 3 gallons then you are putting out 1.5 gallons/1000 square ft.

fertguy2008
02-04-2008, 12:33 PM
You can do a bucket test, with gallon markings, on one of the nozzles to measure your output/minute. (or if you have something long enough you can time all the nozzles over a 1 minute period and dump the contents of the long tray into a bucket is marked with gallon marks) Multiply by the total number of nozzles, and you have your total output per minute. Then figure out how long it takes you to spray 1000 or 2000 square ft. (the speed is up to you). If it takes you 30 seconds to spray 1000 square feet and your total output in a minute is 3 gallons then you are putting out 1.5 gallons/1000 square ft.

Hope this helps:)

fertguy2008
02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Hope this helps:)

On the speed, i guess you could use a block of wood, but wouldn't it be nice if you could rig up a quick pin or some kind of heavy duty bolt underneath the accelerator.

MStine315
02-04-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm trying to remember, but it seems to me JD had a "speed kit" for this purpose. (it's probably a green block of wood...for $200, lol) They sell a 100 gallon sprayer for the gator and it seems like it was part of that. Might be worth looking into at a dealer.