PDA

View Full Version : Landclearing video from Cat

AWJ Services
02-04-2008, 01:46 PM
http://www.realviewtv.com/online/yancey/

bobcat_ron
02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Wow, nice vids, suck on that Bobcat!!!!!

I sure like that smaller mulcher, I wonder how it does in thick grass and blackberries?

AWJ Services
02-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Yancey brothers is a pretty big Cat dealer.
I am like a kid in a candy store when I go there.:)

Boss Exc.
02-04-2008, 06:59 PM
The C series CAT skidsteers with those Loegering tracks look sooo sweet!GOD I WANT ONE BAD!

Green Pastures
02-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Sux you can't download the vid....

Kepple Services
02-05-2008, 10:29 AM
I just demoed a new CAT 297C last week with a FECON mulcher head on it. They didnt have a CAT head to bring me. I can tell ya I REALLY liked the pressurized cab. I didnt get a speck of dust on me while mulching for the day. The only time I got dirty was when I had to clear the vines out from the head as well as the chainlink fence I "found".

YellowDogSVC
02-08-2008, 10:32 AM
I just demoed a new CAT 297C last week with a FECON mulcher head on it. They didnt have a CAT head to bring me. I can tell ya I REALLY liked the pressurized cab. I didnt get a speck of dust on me while mulching for the day. The only time I got dirty was when I had to clear the vines out from the head as well as the chainlink fence I "found".

I was in a 256c this week in really dry, dusty area of Texas cleaning up around shredded cedar trees. The cab had plenty of dust in it and on start up you could see the dust blowing out of the AC system. The owner told me that the cab is not perfect and that when he grinds, he still gets dirty but that it's much better than his 268b cab and AC system.

His machine also caught on fire in the engine compartment while grinding and did 12k worth of damage and CAT didn't cover it under warranty.. This guy keeps his compartments clean but he thinks something hot got sucked into air cleaner as that appeared to be the point of origin for the fire. Just a heads up about grinding dangers. That's 3 C series machines I have seen burned up in the engine compartment. I wonder if there is a problem?

Blyth
02-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Geez.. YellowDog.. you didn't tell me about the good(bad) stuff... :)

bobcat_ron
02-08-2008, 12:00 PM
That's why Cat offers the screen guarding for grinding work, if you don't have it on and it goes up in smoke, you're on the the hook because you knew it needed it on to protect it.

YellowDogSVC
02-08-2008, 02:09 PM
That's why Cat offers the screen guarding for grinding work, if you don't have it on and it goes up in smoke, you're on the the hook because you knew it needed it on to protect it.

evidently his burned before CAT had a debris kit for the C series or they didn't tell him. They knew what he did for a living from what I gather.

YellowDogSVC
02-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Geez.. YellowDog.. you didn't tell me about the good(bad) stuff... :)

That's one of the reasons why I am still in a Bobcat. Not much history on fires in the machines that I know of. Until I find out more about the CAT machines and why they burn so easily, I can't afford to take that kind of chance. On a red flag day a machine fire could start a wildfire that could scorch 1000's of acres. Scary thought!

Gravel Rat
02-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I watched that video of the two machines working when one excavator can do the whole job. Pile up the trees and burn it or throw it into a rolloff bin.

That tree saw thing looks dangerous you have not control of the tree. You get a alder tree they barber chair or split right up the center. You get a tree with wind twist.

Those brainwashing sessions Ron is getting from the Finnings salesman is sure working on him :laugh:

Minimax's set up is better for clearing brush with a excavator mounted flail head on it.

YellowDogSVC
02-08-2008, 03:18 PM
I watched that video of the two machines working when one excavator can do the whole job. Pile up the trees and burn it or throw it into a rolloff bin.

But that's not environmentally sensitve. I looked at a dozed and burned site today. What a mess. Compare that to the sites I reclaim, night and day, and I don't pull up the rocks or pollute the air with smoke. Biomass added back to the site amends the soils where burn piles sterilize it.

My .02 is that the practice of slash and burn is slowly disappearing. Pressure from developers keeps burning legal around my area but other parts of Texas and many areas of the US do not allow open burning for land clearing. I'm not sure how they do things in Canada but down here the enviromentally sensitive way is taking front stage to the old doze and burn mentality.

bobcat_ron
02-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I looked at my 247 this morning while greasing and oiling it up (not baby oil you perverts!), and even I can make my own debris barrier screens, very simple, just some heavy duty bug screen, aluminum strips, 8-32 tap & drill and some 8-32 screws and a nice weekend would get it done.

But the Cyclone pre-filter would be a PITA to do.

bobcat_ron
02-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Those brainwashing sessions Ron is getting from the Finnings salesman is sure working on him :laugh:

It's not brainwashing, I mean, so what if I get asked to sit in a barber's chair, have my eye lids peeled and taped back, have loud sypmhony music played in the background and have images of Cat Iron flashed in a hypnotic sequence, that's not brain washing, that's just being asked "hey Ron, wanna watch a cool movie dude?" http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/whacky120.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Gravel Rat
02-08-2008, 05:11 PM
You don't want to grind up the blackberry brambles or broom brush etc even old Alder trees you don't want to grind up. Scrape up the debris with a excavator either burn it or haul it away afterwards hydroseed it with grass or forestry mix. If you don't burn or rip out the underbrush it comes back thicker and stronger. I should know I have been fighting the problem on my famillies property for years. I finally got the Alder tree infestation down but the blackberry and other underbrush is a constant struggle. It was okay when I logged the neighbours land I got all the cedar branches and had burn piles on my parents property over the blackberry and underbrush. It was great burned it all off that was good for 1.5 years the underbrush is back:mad:

Right now I gave up on the battle I keep the roads on the propery open and thats it. Untill my old man buys a excavator I'am not brushing anymore. It is hours of work with a chainsaw a clearing saw doesn't work because there is too many large rocks. You need a ladder to climb up some of the banks. With a excavator you would be doing lots of mini road building to scrape the area and make it so you can use a brushcutter/weedwacker to maintain it.

A property would have to be absolutely rock free to use any kind of brush mulcher like in the video. Any property in this area if its never been touched before its littered with boulders on the surface ranging from 10lbs to 2000lbs. They get overgrown you can't see them in the bush and when your using a brush cutter or a clearing saw is when you see sparks you hit a rock.

So you go in with a excavator move the rocks build retaining wall with them remove the brush and plant a better ground cover.

Guys with mini excavators upto 12,000lbs or 161 Kubota size can go in and clean up a area very cleanly without damaging the larger trees like the ones that are 24 inches and larger in diamter 40 feet tall. What ever tree the mini can't push over get out the chainsaw do some hand falling.

If you have to thin out the larger trees either they are dying or just need to go any you have no room to drop a 24 or 36 inch diameter 50 foot tall cedar/doug fir then you call in a tree guy to chunk the tree.

Landclearing in B.C. can be a logging operation you go in remove 20-30 tons worth of trees for a house site,access road and septic field. Trying to clear land with a skid steer would be like digging a basement with a tablespoon :)

Some of the brush piles after clearing a 1/2 acre chunk of land is 20-25 feet hgh and 30 feet in diameter. If you got stumps to burn it maybe 3-4 days of burning. Some of those old growth fir stumps take 7 days to burn.

Ya things are different :laugh:

YellowDogSVC
02-08-2008, 05:43 PM
A property would have to be absolutely rock free to use any kind of brush mulcher like in the video. Any property in this area if its never been touched before its littered with boulders on the surface ranging from 10lbs to 2000lbs. They get overgrown you can't see them in the bush and when your using a brush cutter or a clearing saw is when you see sparks you hit a rock.

So Some of the brush piles after clearing a 1/2 acre chunk of land is 20-25 feet hgh and 30 feet in diameter. If you got stumps to burn it maybe 3-4 days of burning. Some of those old growth fir stumps take 7 days to burn.

I haven't read where you would have a problem running a brush mower. Look at the pictures on my website www.brushchipping.com. Now that's some thick brush and rocks, do we have rocks? Vermeer's terrain levelers were tested in this part of the world. We have limestone, hard caliche and granite, yes granite that you have to work around. I don't even count the flint rocks that will do a number on your blades and teeth. That's a whole separate issue. The worst outbreak of oak wilt is in s. Central Texas. Some of our oak trees, though not as tall as the trees on the west coast, are 40-60" dbh and those stumps need to be ground. It can all be done with a little finesse and no burning! Just takes a new way of thinking and a can-do attitude.
I attached some pictures of undisturbed ground here. The rock in the center came out of the road in but the rest of the ground is native. It's common here to have rocks everywhere. Yes, the tree stumps are small there but other trees on the property were bigger and all were cut and grinded with a brush mower. Though I didn't brush mow the standing trees, jobs like this are common and you can see the boulders under the vines and such. You just have to use caution. Our growing season is long here. If we get rain at the right time, as we did last year, the underbrush, vine, and shrub growth is phenomenal at the least. It hides rocks and old cars but those things can be overcome. It is my opinion that uprooting and burning represents a dinosaur approach to clearing land. EPA regulations (for those of us south of the border) require land disturbed that = 1AC or more to have Phase II BMP's (of the clean water act) in place to control erosion and sediment runoff. Brush mowing and leaving root systems intact are an approved method. Yeah, it sucks to have to mow for maintenance but uprooting doesn't always kill the problem. Check the natural remediation a few years after a doze and burn method and you will see the same type of regrowth as you would with mulching.

YellowDogSVC
02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Landclearing in B.C. can be a logging operation you go in remove 20-30 tons worth of trees for a house site,access road and septic field. Trying to clear land with a skid steer would be like digging a basement with a tablespoon :)

Some of the brush piles after clearing a 1/2 acre chunk of land is 20-25 feet hgh and 30 feet in diameter. If you got stumps to burn it maybe 3-4 days of burning. Some of those old growth fir stumps take 7 days to burn.

There are machines up to 450hp with dedicated mulchers on them. That 7 day burn could be reduced to 1 day of grinding with a machine powerful enough to handle the job. Yes, not everyone will pay for that type of setup but to say it can't be done is misleading.

Gravel Rat
02-08-2008, 06:24 PM
One of the developers tried using a tub grinder they had quite a few acres to grind up I think it was 30 piles of brush piled up with a 200 sized excavator a standard 20-25 foot tall pile. They thought it would be easier to chip than burn it turned out it cost so much money to grind it that the developer lost money. A grinder around here is minimum 1000 dollars per hour usually the grind for a few hours then repair the grinder grind some more.

Here is a building lot I'am looking at and its a easy landclearing job :laugh:

Gravel Rat
02-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Here is a few more :canadaflag:

YellowDogSVC
02-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Aren't those logs worth something? After the logs are gone, all you have is slash and stumps, right? I guess on a sloping lot you will have a lot of grade to cut but the trees don't look too bad and I am not used to dealing with tall trees. Seems the logs would be salvageable on an operation like that, right?

Construct'O
02-08-2008, 06:56 PM
The way i see it ! You will always have a job:dancing:!!!!!!! Like said even with grinding and mulching it isn't a cure all,because of the regrowth problem.

Spraying isn't a cure all ,as is the dozing and burning.The firebreak system would also be a concern also ,because of the chance of the burn getting out of control.

Look at the burn that got out of control in New Mexico,last year.It was suppose to be a controled burn ,but see what happened there.

It is a tuff busniess.So does the federal goverment and state cost share on reclaiming this ground or is all the bill flipped by the land owner????? I could see this as getting expense fast for the acres we are talking.

So after you reclaiming the land which basicly your doing,because of the uselessness of it as is with all the brush,trees, and etc. What are the owners doing with it?????Are they reseeding this to some type of native grasses as in priaire grass,big bluestem,indian grass,etc.

I take this is ranch country ,so i take it is grazing ground right.Then some of it is for small ranch property with horses and a house.

Bad as i hate to say it even with it cleared and mulched it looks pretty useless !

Having been to Texas when i was in the Army and New Mexico Whitesand missile base to train at the rifle range.There is just some things that is meet to be left alone at times.

For big areas i would probably try using the firebreak system and burning.That would be the fastest and cheapest.So when is the burning season for that system used there.

I would difinitely have the extra brush screen and protection package on my machine what ever kind i had if used for what you are doing.Good luck,sounds like your back to the drawing board machine wise:rolleyes:.:usflag:

bobcat_ron
02-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Those stupid blue quick link bullsh*t things are driving me nuts right now.

YellowDogSVC
02-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Burning is just whenever. The brainless ones among us burn on hot, dry, windy days and we end up with out of control fires. The governor just stepped in to force our county (and others) to enact a burn ban. Everyone in the county knew it was too dry to burn but the county commissioners (most likely on the take from developers) wouldn't enact a burn ban. I personally won't burn unless conditions are right because living in between the plains and the coast means that the winds can kick up at any time.

This area has some very rich grazing land. Most of the land I work on is developed for wildlife habitat (a tax exempt or reduced tax land use) or developed for homes, mini ranches,etc., Very large tracts are too expensive to remediate unless the owners are wealthy. Some tracts in the 200-500 range we just grind or chip in trails so they can enjoy the property without having to clear all of it.

Texas is diverse. Just west of here is drier, rockier terrain. We are in rolling and steep hills with some valleys and deep soils but mostly shallow soils over limestone. The grass is rich, though, when it grows as well as the native populations. The largest deer herd in N. America is right here in the Texas Hill Country area. Lots of browse and many springs and creeks of clear water. It isn't the desert but rather an oasis between the plains of north Texas, the piney woods and swamps of east texas, the desert of west texas, and the coastal plain of S. Texas where the famed King Ranch is.
The area we live in is known as the Cowboy Capital of the World and is the gateway of the Old Spanish Trail. Lots of horse property around here and remediating for horses can keep a company busy.

Gravel Rat
02-08-2008, 08:33 PM
The trees on that property are not any good. They are small fir trees and a mixture of hemmies and cedar. So most of it is firewood some of it could be milled by a bandsaw mill. As for the property it is pretty well a mix of loose and solid rock very little dirt. A 200 sized machine could clear some of the property but the rest will require 2-3 days of blasting at a rough estimate of 10 grand.

The bad thing the property is taxed accessed way way too high so the owner thinks its worth that much. In 4 years the price rose 162,000. I walked the property I know what I'am looking at it can be done but I'am looking at big bucks to do it.

As for burning it is still a practice used here you get a permit and you can burn all day long. One developement burned piles for month straight. If you can't burn then you haul it to the landfill they charge 40 bucks a ton. So when you have 10-20 tandem axle truck loads to haul away there is 1000 bucks of trucking plus the dump fees about 3200 dollars. So burning is the best way of getting rid of green waste.

Digdeep
02-08-2008, 09:04 PM
I was in a 256c this week in really dry, dusty area of Texas cleaning up around shredded cedar trees. The cab had plenty of dust in it and on start up you could see the dust blowing out of the AC system. The owner told me that the cab is not perfect and that when he grinds, he still gets dirty but that it's much better than his 268b cab and AC system.

His machine also caught on fire in the engine compartment while grinding and did 12k worth of damage and CAT didn't cover it under warranty.. This guy keeps his compartments clean but he thinks something hot got sucked into air cleaner as that appeared to be the point of origin for the fire. Just a heads up about grinding dangers. That's 3 C series machines I have seen burned up in the engine compartment. I wonder if there is a problem?

I know that the engine pulls air in from just behind the cab and CAT has put a screen over the A/C condensor and the fan. This fans also appears to be the fan for the aftercooler. If I remember correctly the hydraulic resevoir covers part of the screen. How do you clean it when all the mulched material gets sucked into the engine bay and stuck in the screen and how do you clean out the engine compartment with no belly pans especially the stuff that ends up towards the back of the engine? I'm not into brushcutting but it seems like this would be a main cause of a fire and difficult to do at best.

Gravel Rat
02-08-2008, 09:22 PM
One of the machines I used to run burnt up from working in wood chips I guess some blew through the side panels on the machine I didn't know it. Had a good ripping fire when nobody was around. Even when I was running hoe around a wood grinder the dust clogged up the screen on the rad and the excavator started to overheat.

YellowDogSVC
02-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I know that the engine pulls air in from just behind the cab and CAT has put a screen over the A/C condensor and the fan. This fans also appears to be the fan for the aftercooler. If I remember correctly the hydraulic resevoir covers part of the screen. How do you clean it when all the mulched material gets sucked into the engine bay and stuck in the screen and how do you clean out the engine compartment with no belly pans especially the stuff that ends up towards the back of the engine? I'm not into brushcutting but it seems like this would be a main cause of a fire and difficult to do at best.

I'm still running a Bobcat and I have asked the same questions. My bobcat gets plenty of crap inside but it has a lot of air moving through and seems that a smoldering ember wouldn't be able to ignite because of the air flow. Also, since air is drawn from above, I'm not sucking in hot air. For the bigger C series machines with an intercooler, it would seem smart to pull air from somewhere besides a hot engine compartment before cooling it? I admit I don't understand the intercooler too much (makes air denser?).

BIGBEN2004
02-08-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm still running a Bobcat and I have asked the same questions. My bobcat gets plenty of crap inside but it has a lot of air moving through and seems that a smoldering ember wouldn't be able to ignite because of the air flow. Also, since air is drawn from above, I'm not sucking in hot air. For the bigger C series machines with an intercooler, it would seem smart to pull air from somewhere besides a hot engine compartment before cooling it? I admit I don't understand the intercooler too much (makes air denser?).

Denser air has more oxygen. More oxygen means better burn when the fuel is added to it in the cylinder. The way the oxygen is more denser after it goes though the intercooler is because the air is cooled down some after it leaves the turbo and the colder the air the more dense it is.

CarterKraft
02-09-2008, 11:25 AM
compressed air after the turbo is hot, way hotter than engine compartment ambient air. Think air to water aftercooler on bigger engines, 200hp+ they use coolant to cool the air, it's at 190 all day.

The machines we sell for brush cutting all have the turbo heat shields. these two guards really shield the turbo from debris, but if allowed to accumulate well....

If I owned a brush cutter type machine I would think a HALOTRON Fire suppression system would be a no brainer, no matter what brand model etc.

A 10 lb unit is around $500, seems like a easy sell, for your life?

I will start another thread with some pictures of the Holt CAT Land Clearing Prep Package

YellowDogSVC
02-09-2008, 12:29 PM
compressed air after the turbo is hot, way hotter than engine compartment ambient air. Think air to water aftercooler on bigger engines, 200hp+ they use coolant to cool the air, it's at 190 all day.

The machines we sell for brush cutting all have the turbo heat shields. these two guards really shield the turbo from debris, but if allowed to accumulate well....

If I owned a brush cutter type machine I would think a HALOTRON Fire suppression system would be a no brainer, no matter what brand model etc.

A 10 lb unit is around $500, seems like a easy sell, for your life?

I will start another thread with some pictures of the Holt CAT Land Clearing Prep Package

Okay, that makes sense. my chipper has an aftercooler..

Can you tell me more about the Halon system? I had heard they were $8k?

CarterKraft
02-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Here is a 10 lb unit from Summit Racing $480
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SAF%2DLT10AAB&N=700+115&autoview=sku

A similar system from FireBottle costs $508.

http://www.smileysracing.com/cat/view_pg.php?pKey=977634&sKey=b42f7f6401c26b40dbd28e3f4b526360&pgID=1044

Couple that with a 5-10 lb chemical unit in the cab you should be able to suppress most fires, and even put them out quickly.

Kepple Services
02-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Who gets $1000 an hour for a tub grinder? I am in the wrong buisness! I can get a Morbark 1300 tub with a loader and 2 operators for a day for $3000. They will grind for 7 hours.

YellowDogSVC
02-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Who gets $1000 an hour for a tub grinder? I am in the wrong buisness! I can get a Morbark 1300 tub with a loader and 2 operators for a day for $3000. They will grind for 7 hours.

that's a deal. Does it include haul in and out and is there a minimum number of days?

P.Services
02-12-2008, 12:25 AM
thats about what they get up around me to. 3000-3500

gogreencanada
02-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Here's what we use in the great white north.....http://www.gt-25.net/
Lots of bush up here.

P.Services
02-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Here's what we use in the great white north.....http://www.gt-25.net/
Lots of bush up here.

wow 72 gallons of hydro oil!!! i would not want to refill that thing after a blown line!!! thats one awsome machine though. a fecon fx440 would be twice that though

YellowDogSVC
02-12-2008, 12:32 AM
gyrotrak is sweet but expensive and you better keep it busy!