PDA

View Full Version : quad cab/extended cab spray trucks

americanlawn
02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
i've seen some of these pickup trucks on occasion. wondering if the extra cab space is needed.

we use regular cab pickup trucks with 8 foot beds so they can handle the capacity of bags & spray equipment while being easier to drive, pull into driveways, etc.

so........does anybody use extended cab or quad cab pickup trucks for their spray truck? if so, what are the advantages? thanks, m

MStine315
02-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I have a little of everything. With a younger family, I need an ext. cab for my daily driver. I had one with an 8' box, which is pretty long for some applications. I rolled that into the fleet and I now have an ext. cab with an 6' box, which was neccesitated by a specific snow removal application. It'll be interesting spraying with a short box vs. a long box, but I plan on doing a considerable amount more liquid apps. this year, so the limited bed space shouldn't be missed. I agree, a regular cab 8' box is about ideal for most purposes, including snow. As my kids grow, I plan to gravitate back to that style truck. As for cab space, I of course utilize it much like I'm sure you would, for extra paperwork, bids, what not, while keeping the passenger compartment clear. As for daily use by spray techs., I worry the back will be a fast food wrapper, water bottle collector, but time will tell.

humble1
02-04-2008, 09:09 PM
i will never go back to a standard cab, i have a f-250 4x4 superduty ext cab, i can put the wife two kids and the dog in it. Leave the dog at home i can still put some groceries in it. I have a 200 gallon space saver in the back for deep root feeding.

RigglePLC
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Not now, but 5 years ago I had an extended cab Ford 250 with 8 foot box. Nice because I could carry extra fertilizer--about 10 extra bags--and i never had to worry it would get wet. I did not have extra doors so access to the back seat area was difficult. Also in the back seat I had spill kit plus a sealed and locked plastic chest for special chemicals like Drive, Manage, and mole bait. Of course, in some states this is not legal--however--carrying chemicals in the open back means they can blow out, get wet (and lose labels) or be stolen. No back seat in my new truck so i try to carry everything in the box and protect it from moisture in plastic bags or as best I can.

I have a low (2 inches high) basket and a covered cake pan, that slide under the seats like a drawer to store and carry particularly valuable products like Drive, Manage and mole bait.