PDA

View Full Version : California Category B vs. Q

Fahzu
02-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Can anyone offer any insight on the advantages of obtaining a Category Q license over a Category B other than the continuing education requirements. I do landscape maint. but am keeping my options open. I am beginning to study for the tests but haven't filed my application yet. Just curious about the details of the two different categories and how they can be used.

Fahzu
02-04-2008, 08:23 PM
maybe I should clarify...this is regarding a QAC in this state. Just want to get legit as possible. Tons of LCOs are spraying without license (or legal status) but wondering if it is worth all the study, paperwork, and money. Can I still be competitive?

Triple R
02-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Q (maintenance gardener) is for maintenance gardeners where the primary work is maintenance (mowing & trimming). B (landscape maintenance) is for any pesticide application done to landscapes whether it be as part of regular maintenance or as a for hire application.

If you are planning on making any money on the chem apps then get the B, but if you are a gardener and just want to be legal to treat your own accounts then the Q will do. Also just as important is QAC versus QAL, only one of them will make you money. With a QAC you cannot do any pest control for hire. All pesticide apps have to be part of a maintenance service and can't be billed for individually. If you are planning on billing for any of your pest apps then you must get a QAL. After you get your lic or cert then you have to get a state pest bussiness lic and after that you have register with every county that you work in. It's a lot of time and money and in my area rarely enforced so that's why over 90% on the local maintenance gardeners are unlicensed.

Good luck
Triple R

Fahzu
02-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey thanks! It's hard to sort out the details. If you don't mind, have you done landscape maint? and if so do you prefer applications only? Also, has all the time invested been worth it for you?

Triple R
02-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I have done maintenance way too long, I have burned out on it several times and actually shut down once for a couple of years. Looking back now I wish I would have quit the maintenance back when I first got my license and done the pest apps instead. I am currently debating on whether to sell off the maintenance or hire some one to run the maintenance route since I have been wanting to switch to chemical apps for the last two years. I currently don't have any employees, have had some in the past, and do about $400 - $500 a day in maintenance solo but I can more than double that doing chems plus doing the chem apps is much less labor intensive. My goal now is to make as much as possible with minimal effort and pesticides seem to be the answer.

Hope I answered your questions
Triple R

Fahzu
02-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks Triple R,

Definately answers my question. It will give me something to think about over the next couple of years. I'm considering going for my contractor license next year, but either way I won't be able to do solo maintenance forever. I need somthing to aim for to keep me interested and I like the industry, so maybe getting the app. license will lead me to something like you're doing.

Thanks again for the information and good luck with your decision!