PDA

View Full Version : Would you customize a work truck?

J&R Landscaping
02-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm trying to decide if and how far to go on my new 06 F250 diesel. I'm gonna put a CD player in it because the factory cd player is broken. (Radio works but CD won't insert. Checked it and no a cd is not jammed into it.) I'm also thinking about a new set of chrome rims as the factory XL rated rims are ugly. I'm still debating on what kind of exhaust is going on it but a new system is going on. (Stacks vs standard pretty much.)

The interior is also getting a CB radio installed later this week. Custom towing mirrors will be replacing the small factory installed mirrors as well.

Keep in mind that I use this truck for some personal use as well. I don't intend to go over board but I want to make it my own. I'm still trying to decide what type of light bar is going on it to. I have hide-away strobes already picked out.

Other then what I have listed, would you do anything else to the truck. Would you even go as far as what I have listed? Any insight or suggestions would be great!!

paponte
02-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Interior has all the electronic goodies... CD, Satellite, Navigation, 2-way, laptop. The exterior has mud flaps, rain guards, bug guards, nerf bars, headache rack, transfer tank, tool box, pin striping. I refuse to put rims on because the on off, on off, on off, gets tiring real fast. It's a work truck, it's gonna get scratched. Try running a nice set of rims and tires through a muddy jobsite.

getthenet
02-04-2008, 11:26 PM
A friend of mine has a 2003 f250. He went all out with turbos, computer with its own screen, tv instead of radio, (cool because he gets dvd videos instead of just music and he has a rear view camera wich you can watch the trailer meet the ball while hooking up.) He also has a 9000 lb winch on the front of his truck and 38" nitto grapler tires on rock star rims. His truck will run a flat 9 seconds in 1/8 mile. Its fun to ride in but with the 7.5" lift and 38" tires it would not pull a trailer very good at all. It also rides rough for everyday travel and I drove about 44000 miles last year.
I would reccomend the winch, maybe a power chip, and 31" to 33" tires. Any lighting on the front, top or back would be great also. I just added a set of 31" bfg tires on my duramax. I also added a camper shell and carpet in my bed. I bought a $1500 shell and $300 carpet. I also added nerf bars to help others get in my truck. I bought a laptop but have no mount in the truck for it yet. Most people don't want a shell on their truck but I leave all my dewalt tools and levels and cold weather cloths and boots in the back. I love it especially with the carpet. Something elso that will help is put a switchon your fuel pump. Mount the switch under your seat out of site or somewhere else hidden and when you would normally turn your alarm on, just switch the fuel pump off and if someone were to drive your truck it would not go very far if it even starts. Just a few tips.

AceFinish
02-05-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm trying to decide if and how far to go on my new 06 F250 diesel. I'm gonna put a CD player in it because the factory cd player is broken. (Radio works but CD won't insert. Checked it and no a cd is not jammed into it.) I'm also thinking about a new set of chrome rims as the factory XL rated rims are ugly. I'm still debating on what kind of exhaust is going on it but a new system is going on. (Stacks vs standard pretty much.)

The interior is also getting a CB radio installed later this week. Custom towing mirrors will be replacing the small factory installed mirrors as well.

Keep in mind that I use this truck for some personal use as well. I don't intend to go over board but I want to make it my own. I'm still trying to decide what type of light bar is going on it to. I have hide-away strobes already picked out.

Other then what I have listed, would you do anything else to the truck. Would you even go as far as what I have listed? Any insight or suggestions would be great!!

Yah I say adding on to your truck is ok. I would stay away from the chrome rims and stacks though that looks bad when you pull up to a jobsite. Don't get me wrong I like the idea of chrome and stacks but if you pulled up to my house to work like that I would turn you a way people who live in the city I have found hate that kind of stuff. Now I am all for putting a larger exhaust on a work truck. I think that it makes the truck look better. Sound system in work truck is a must.

AI Inc
02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
If you intend to plow with it, stay away from a loud exhaust. Listening to that all night gets old quick.

buttaluv
02-05-2008, 10:22 AM
In my opinion some people just get carried away, a good radio is a must, power windows and cruise, but no carpet, no tv's, none of that crap, just more to go wrong!!! but I'm a simpleton too!

topsites
02-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm the kind if all it does is make it look better forget it, I spend enough on upkeep and maintenance that looks take a back seat. So forget tinted windows and any other attention grabbers, that's beside the fact that attention-getters also tend to attract more police attention, it is a fact the bling increases the vehicle's criminal profile at least from an officer's stand point.

No, not all bling vehicles are driven by criminals, certainly most are not, but once it catches an officer's eye there you are.

Because by the time I'm done spending a grand on rims I could've just gotten some really nice tires, heck for that kind of money dual exhaust would do far more for the truck itself say in case it didn't need tires, and the more stock the truck looks the better it resembles a dull and boring plain jane, less trouble seems to come my way when it looks like nothing special.

For 1-200 I can put a toolbox in the back, now that serves a purpose and pays for itself, I can put high performance wires plugs cap and rotor and air filter on for another 200 and gain far more than looks, change the oil and filter and use synthetic oil for another 100 then change trans fluid and filter if I got money left still, radiator flush and fill and just go over the whole vehicle fixing and replacing I can spend a grand that's just burning a hole in my pocket that way easy and it serves some actual purpose.

It either improves performance, economy, or in some other sort of fashion makes life easier, a GPS and high performance parts under the hood I'm all for that, a fiberglass hood or a tonneau cover fine, but no mirror dice, no bling and no firly fanz. If I want bling I grab bucket and sponge, soap and some warm water and go to town lol

So as a rule, to answer this thread's specific question, no.

Jason Rose
02-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Modify a work truck? Heck yes!

A stereo is a cheap fix really, and if you are spending 5 to 6 days a week driving this truck around having a good working radio is a must. As for everything else, well that's up to your wallet. Try to focus on things that will help your and the trucks efficiency. Add the tool box, or orginizers in the cab. Focus on fuel economy for the truck too, put a set of headers on and a good flowing muffler. Keep the filters clean and the oil changed. Don't go nuts with oversized tires and lift kits... And like Topsites said, keep it clean!

Rhett
02-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I customize all my work trucks. As soon as I get them I install that unwashed tail end yard guy smell. Usually takes about a week. As far as anything besides a stereo no. As long as it looks decent and everything works thats good enough.

TWUllc
02-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Tint, lettering, and maybe some chrome (ie Boxes, Steps, etc.).

No offense, but to me at least, anyone with stacks, or obnoxious exhaust on a work vehicle looks unprofessional, and almost childish. My 2 cents.

J&R Landscaping
02-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far!

The truck has tinted windows already. They were like this before I bought the truck and to be honest, I really dont like it. Tint is ok but this tint is really dark and I'm almost surprised that level or shade is legal. I checked and found out that yes, it was...

For the rims, I'm really looking into just a decent set of OEM chrome rims from a higher level trim package. This truck has just the ultra stock ulgy rims and I want to make a change, not a huge $3500 change but a mild change. Its going to be getting new tires as well which will probably be either BF goodrich or Bridgestone Dueler Revo AT's. I have a thread on plowsite discussing good plow tires.
I don't plan on putting a tool box in the truck bed because its almost 95% likely to be getting a dump insert put in there.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments thus far! Anyone else have any in-put!??

tyaroch
02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Get oem rims. Get stock CD player. Forget about the rest. Stock is sharp. Custom = waste of money. Stacks, no way. JMO.:rolleyes:

monty33
02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Take all of the money you are thinking about wasting on after market crap and invest it in the market somewhere to help offset all of the money you are going to waste in interest on your new truck. Then buy a vehicle that gets 25-30mpg to use as your personal and use your truck for work. Be smart with your money, especially when you are young, and you will be rewarded sooner than later. Don't be the guy who thinks he is cool by driving around in some big, loud, stupid truck.

tyaroch
02-05-2008, 01:26 PM
I forgot this, tinted windows not only look cool, they really do keep you cool too!

J&R Landscaping
02-05-2008, 01:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-F250-F350-SUPERDUTY-17-FACTORY-STEEL-WHEELS-RIMS_W0QQitemZ310020577452QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310020577452

For the record, these are what the current rims are...

All_Toro_4ME
02-05-2008, 02:48 PM
What about a GPS system to help find the addresses easier. Just remember to take it out of the truck when you go in at night. Maybe a spray on bedliner to help protect the bed. I have a thread on spray on bedliners vs. plastic drop in liners if you want to check out those options as well.... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=214477

barefeetny
02-05-2008, 03:13 PM
ROII rate of intial investment

a Set of rims will never make me a dime

A plow will
improving milage will
good tires might.

a radio won't but i need a radio.... like the cheapest jvc that gets the best reception anyway. i need a cupholder..... thats about all.. most of my trucks are rubber floors, and power nothings

bling on a work truck no

a stainless steel sander... yes

Nate

Danscapes
02-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Those rims are hideous, just go to a junk yard and find a truck like yours and get factory aluminum rims. The manufacturer designed the truck to use a certain size wheel and tire for a reason, aftermarket rims look cool but are not practical for a work truck. And stacks are stupid IMO. Now as far as under the hood goodies are concerned, the more the better if your towing. And a spray-in bedliner is a must for a pick-up. Thats about it really, and get it clean!

KGR landscapeing
02-05-2008, 03:19 PM
rim r a no no. and my steel wheels give me more carrying capacity thats y they came on the truck cause there stronger.

radio well if u gotta ride in the truck with somebody whos really anoyying ur gonna need this.

now exhaust i run flow 40's and give me alot of extra power which saves my but dragging the trailer or plow around so to me this is good. and it sounds good and u can ask any of my plowing accounts if i wake anybody up there gonna say no and if they can get out they dont care. now if u got stacks i think ur a hillbilly but i am to so it dosent bother me but it might ur bother ur rich people

and stacks might stain ur trailer if u got a diesel with the screw stuck just alittle to far open.

SimonCX
02-05-2008, 05:22 PM
It depends on the truck, if it's a truck that employee's drive then hell no. If it's a truck you drive go for it, I would replace the radio with a gps. Personally I hate chrome rims on any car or truck it just isn't for me, and if it's a new diesel I won't play too much with it unless you want to lose the warranty. Some dealers can void the warranty for high flow exhaust and definitely a programmer, so I wouldn't touch the engine until it gets closer to the end of the warranty.

CALandscapes
02-05-2008, 05:39 PM
I have an 06 F-250 FX4 Lariat that I use for both work and business, although the work we use it for is mostly just towing a Bobcat..

Anyway, I leveled the truck, put 35" Toyo MT's on the stock 18's (when the tires run out I will be replacing the 18's with stock 20's and buying another set of the Toyo's), added a toolbox in back, added a Sirius Satellite radio, and have a Garmin 200w GPS (which pays for itself every day..). I also plan to add an edge chip, intake, and exhaust in the future to help with my gas mileage and towing the heavy load (Bobcat and trailer are over 11k lbs)

I like a personal truck on a vehicle that I use for myself as well as my work, BUT, I would not over do it. First reason would be money - I'm not rolling around in $100's. Second reason would be that if I had someone pull up at my house in a truck lifted 8" with 38" tires on 20+" rims, I might think twice about paying the price they gave me. I just don't think it projects a professional image. I think it's one thing to have a NICE vehicle and another to go overboard..

Just my .02.

All_Toro_4ME
02-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Hey Ca Landscapes, you ever listen to the playboy morning radio show on your Sirius Radio or afternoon advice with Tiffany Granith. I got sirius as well and like it better then XM.

J&R Landscaping
02-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the input!

To address some of the comments, the truck already has a plow. I also have a magellin GPS unit for it too.

FIREPOWER
02-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Heres my rig...its fits all my crew easily. Little hard on fuel though...

GravelyNut
02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
All I have to say is those are some ugly rims that were stock on the Ford. Even compared to the stock ones on my dually Chevy. Must have been one of Ford's better ideas to help sell higher priced rims as an option.

Even Cut Lawn Care
02-07-2008, 04:00 AM
I'm the kind if all it does is make it look better forget it, I spend enough on upkeep and maintenance that looks take a back seat. So forget tinted windows and any other attention grabbers, that's beside the fact that attention-getters also tend to attract more police attention, it is a fact the bling increases the vehicle's criminal profile at least from an officer's stand point.

No, not all bling vehicles are driven by criminals, certainly most are not, but once it catches an officer's eye there you are.

Because by the time I'm done spending a grand on rims I could've just gotten some really nice tires, heck for that kind of money dual exhaust would do far more for the truck itself say in case it didn't need tires, and the more stock the truck looks the better it resembles a dull and boring plain jane, less trouble seems to come my way when it looks like nothing special.

For 1-200 I can put a toolbox in the back, now that serves a purpose and pays for itself, I can put high performance wires plugs cap and rotor and air filter on for another 200 and gain far more than looks, change the oil and filter and use synthetic oil for another 100 then change trans fluid and filter if I got money left still, radiator flush and fill and just go over the whole vehicle fixing and replacing I can spend a grand that's just burning a hole in my pocket that way easy and it serves some actual purpose.

It either improves performance, economy, or in some other sort of fashion makes life easier, a GPS and high performance parts under the hood I'm all for that, a fiberglass hood or a tonneau cover fine, but no mirror dice, no bling and no firly fanz. If I want bling I grab bucket and sponge, soap and some warm water and go to town lol

So as a rule, to answer this thread's specific question, no.

Sorry Buddy,
You are completely off base saying that bling attracts the police attention. What basis do you have for such a statement? Are u a police officer? I am. The things that attract me and my other fellow officers are speed, squaling tires, stupid drivers and any other traffic violation you can think of. I also Own and opperate my own lawn and landscape co and I like my trucks to look good and stand out. My Dodge trucks are both bright red, Cummins, with aftermarket wheels, larger tires, tinted windows straight pipe exhaust and programers. Oh, my trailers even have aluminum wheels.

topsites
02-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Sorry Buddy,
You are completely off base saying that bling attracts the police attention. What basis do you have for such a statement? Are u a police officer? I am. The things that attract me and my other fellow officers are speed, squaling tires, stupid drivers and any other traffic violation you can think of.

And I have a perfect driving record, no citations or violations or accidents or anything of that nature in 8 or 10 years or better and it's hardly because I never ever break the law, if not in mayor ways but it still happens. No, it's not the bling in and of itself granted, but say what you want because my black bmw attracts FAR more attention than my truck no matter how I drive and if it attracts any attention then it attracts YOUR eye TOO! And once it attracts your attention now all you need is a reason to pull me over, get it?

So don't think a fancy car doesn't do it, as soon as that car catches the attention of a police officer now all it takes is probable cause, there you go if a headlight is out that might be the deal, but if I had a loud muffler too then maybe just maybe it's the SOUND that caught your attention and now you see the headlight is out and BLAM I just got pulled over, how that works.

Profile stops may be against the law, but in the end profiling still is what attracts the attention of the police in the first place, and a plain Jane dull and boring vehicle is far less likely to catch their eye and thus either increases AND or decreases my chances of getting a citation... Not for doing right or wrong per se, that too, granted, but because if they never paid me no mind in the first place I'm far better off.

topsites
02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Take that headlight instance, say my headlight really is out and lalala...
Granted, if you see the headlight is out and you pull me over I have to accept that, no problem.

I'm in the plane Jane vehicle and you give me a quick once over as I'm driving up over the hill but it doesn't attract you much so you keep on looking, and in the quickness of the process you missed that headlight, you flat out didn't notice because you didn't even bother to look twice, not because you're not doing your job, but because that is how it works.

So here someone comes in their nice super-duper all decked out whatever and you glance that way and WOOO WOW Awww check THAT out, yeah now it's got your eye and in the process of drooling a little you give that vehicle ALL of your undivided attention and by the time you've looked it over 3-4 times there's almost no way you could've missed a headlight being out, now is there?

Yes, a headlight out is probable cause, isn't it? Then you just confirmed what I've been talking about, you even came right out and posted pictures to REALLY let me know that you LIKE fancy cars!

And funnier still is the jerk in his plain Jane automobile just passed you on the other side and you didn't pay that fool no mind.
I'm telling you I don't even get pulled over, it hasn't happened in years, for real.
I will admit, humility and other things are a part of it, it's not just the auto, it's all of the package.

man of stihl
02-07-2008, 03:06 PM
everyone can hear my truck coming i know that. i normally turn the boxes down when i tow because i dont like my stuff being covered in black soot. it gets old washing it off the equipment and trailer. my truck definately isnt bling but it runs. doesnt have huge lift and tires.

i would rather have a truck that looks average but blows the doors off all the ricers in town:weightlifter: lol

topsites
02-07-2008, 03:09 PM
i would rather have a truck that looks average but blows the doors off all the ricers in town:weightlifter: lol

See that's my attitude, I got a TON of high performance stuff under the hood but you don't see it, and so long I stay off the gas you don't hear it either.

Yeah if I give it some WOT she'll do it, all eyes on me :laugh:

But I can easily slip right back under the radar, the truck itself just doesn't do much for anyone, that's what I'm talking about.

btw I love blowing away stupid ricers too... On that note if a ricer and I get into it, who do you think the officer is going to pull, I mean, based purely on the odds? Yes sir it's the ricer (don't test it hear, seriously, if you get pulled that's tough).

barefeetny
02-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Topsites is right on with this one...

last time i got pulled over was for doing something completly stupid

box truck = no police pressure unless you pass them doing 100 in the oppisite lane, while smoking crack and throwing litter

i pulled out of a inconvenice store and since i was within city limits forgot to turn on the headlights.... running lights were on...red and blues chasing me down 2 miles later... Doh

he gave me a field sobrity test and i gave him my card.. he respected that i was just getting off the clock 1 hour after sunset..

just a warning and he never called me for any work lol

In my personal DD I probably would have gotten some sort of ticket

Nate

Jerry Lee
02-07-2008, 07:12 PM
dude it sounds like u have a kick a truck. and it sounds like u need a chip, personally i would go with a banks power tuner, because u use ur truck more for business i would go for a towing chip that gives u more torque on the low end. this chip will give u great highway response compared to stock. and better fuel economy if u drive it with ease. i would go with 5 inch exhaust if it would fit but i dont doubt 4 inch would fit for shure. and as for the rims thats a great idea stock is defiantly dumb.

kc2006
02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I always do everything I can for towing and fuel mileage. Made a cold air intake for my diesel, put a 4" exhaust on it, got a chip, of course gauges thats a must have for any towing diesel. I always upgrade the radio, and get good tires. As long as rims are aluminum and decent looking I keep them. I won't waste money on rims for a work truck, if it were a play truck, thats different.

Btw, if you go with mods for the diesel, the best chips for fords are tony wildmans and DP tuner's. Forget the big names, they're overpriced and not worth it. And get a high idle tune for it too if you live in a cold state, I love starting mine throw it in high idle, go in the house and 5 mins later it's got some heat to it.

Valk
02-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Personalize your work truck with your business attitude in mind. What impression do you want to have linger after you leave? Keep it simple, sharp, understated - more business~professional than Friday~casual.

Definitely go for the underhood mods for mileage/performance/towing...more fun to be had here anyways. While I feel the rims could get by, sounds like an area you wish to address...so get some understated rims that pull the whole package together. You'll know 'em when you see 'em. .02

stroker51
02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
All my trucks have aluminum wheels, except the 450, it's got stainless simulators. Two of them are XLT's so it was factory stuff, but I think having just a normal, classy aluminum rim, clean truck, if you got a flatbed i personally like to paint my sideboards black, repaint them every year or two, it just helps to make the truck look like you actually run a business that does some business. not too flashy but just enough to stand out from the crowd. Especially if this is going to be your personal truck too, some OEM aluminums never hurt, imo.

Ramairfreak98ss
02-10-2008, 11:33 PM
JR, everyones gonna tell you, why do that? lol

I got @%^$ because i only want an xlt or lariat F550 dump someday.. I absolutely will not take a 50k XL ford truck, rolling up manual windows after forking out 50-60k i dont think so :(

I hate the xl plastic grills... looks cheap on any vehicle, no power windows, no sound deadening material. Heck if im on lawn mowers all damn day, i dont want a noisy arse interior too :nono:

I have a Silverline 4" turbo back exhaust system, with muffler still on my 06, will be upgrading to the stock ford touch screen NAV system, for nav feature mainly, have added the fancy mirrors, lights on top, fancy Whelen Liberty LED amber lights for plowing, will have a front leveling kit eventually and hope to get the stock 20" F350 wheels put on it with the BFGs in a little wider than stock size tires after these tires are done... Everyone will say, its a work truck, whys it matter :p My shiat looks BADA$$ going down the road though, its intimidating to other guys too