PDA

View Full Version : Flick was right.

casey
10-31-2001, 09:24 PM
In the paper today. Total ban on blowers in the city of Toronto except for the months of Oct. & Nov. is coming soon.
Anyone have to deal with this?
Alternatives: hire a broom guy for each crew.
break the law & see if they actually enforce.
use 21" LB's side discharge for drives
use an industrial vac for drives
use a small handheld on steps (will be illegal)
Anyone know of a machine you push that blows alot of air (not a blower)?

KirbysLawn
10-31-2001, 09:36 PM
Or use high lift blades on the mowers and lower them on pavement.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-31-2001, 09:46 PM
Well it looks like you have a few options:

Move to the good old` USA

Work in the good old` USA

Break the law

Get a battery powered one, it may be a lot quieter.

Get a hand turn blower

Get on your hands and knees and blow

Get your wife to blow it off

Go eat a lot of refried beans every night, and fart the debris off

Just wait total ban on all gas powered lawn equipment may be next

Here in this lovely country called the good ol` USA you could protest that law, but since your in that other country thats not the good old USA your screwed!

LGF:blob1:

casey
10-31-2001, 09:48 PM
We mulch half the year.
Was thinking of buying a cheap azz 33" Troy-Bilt or MTD, cutting out the entire discharge side of the deck & welding a piece of sheetmetal overhanging the discharge side for safety, to be used exclusively as a drive blower. Looking for ideas for the steps or other machines that blow alot of air.
Thanks for the helpful ideas LGF. Perhaps you could come down & blow some drives clean with your hot air.

MOW ED
11-01-2001, 07:04 AM
Did you have any idea that this was coming?

I am not sure on how you go about changing a law in Canada but here I would be screaming louder than my Shindiawa to my alderman, congressman and senator.

A positive to it is that you are going to have to explain to your customers that the price will have to be increased if they want the area cleaned since there is a ban on blowers, otherwise they have to clean up themselves.

Time to get your fellow LCO's and customers involved, someone from California has moved to Toronto!!

fireball
11-01-2001, 09:54 AM
Don't you young guys ever wonder what we used before blowers were invented.
The thing that I find interesting is that they are permitting blower use in Oct and Nov. just the time when all the problems develop. Here in the Philadelphia area thats all you hear this time of year is the din of blowers at high speed

LAWNGODFATHER
11-01-2001, 10:36 AM
LOL casey.

More like up there, it's north of MO,USA.

Maby this winter I have a few trips planned may got see Canada.

LGF:blob1:

cos
11-01-2001, 10:54 AM
There was a couple of posts of a couple of towns and cities here that want to ban blowers and even lawn equipment on certain days.

bubble boy
11-01-2001, 11:01 AM
yeah, usa or canada it doesn't matter. cell phones now banned in NY. i heard they're looking at banning smoking in all parks in CA.

soon i'll need a permit to scratch my butt:angry:

vipermanz
11-01-2001, 01:59 PM
does this include push blowers?>

Got Grass?
11-01-2001, 02:09 PM
hmm.... You could all get together and buy some bower brooms...
Till thay ban them becasue it takes even longer and makes the same noise.

casey
11-01-2001, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Got Grass?
.You could all get together and buy some bower brooms...

Ban will include push blowers. They will be legal Oct. & Nov. for leaf clean-ups.
I'm looking for something that spews out more pollution & is louder than a blower to clean the drives. I assume you mean power brooms. Ariens has a commercial 10hp gear drive power broom WB which could work. Thanks.

casey
11-01-2001, 04:59 PM
Here's a pic.
Anyone used one?
I guess a power stick broom could be used on the steps.

Got Grass?
11-01-2001, 06:22 PM
hmm... Are thay baning blower Vac's? Tech, when its converted to a vac its not a blower... As for a power broom, Something like what Stihl makes "power sweeper" (in the construstion section), broom attachment for a trimmer, portable for steaps and drives.
For lawns the mower w/ vac attachment would work. For trimmings and beds your gunna be stuck with a rake.
http://www.stihl.com/produkte

As far as the one you posted, Isnt that a bit large for drives? Parking lots it could be good and you could even get into parking lot cleaning. Cig. butts, papers, trash, etc... as it usually just blows to the curb anyways....
If you sand/salt in the winter it could be used to pile thay stuff up to pick up.

mdb landscaping
11-01-2001, 07:32 PM
i have a power broom, but no way can it do leaves. only use it for spring clean ups to get sand and sticks off the lawn. a lot of guys around here have the broom like you showed and thatch the yards with them. guess youll just have to put a brooming crew on. that flick must be psychic:D

1stclasslawns
11-01-2001, 10:12 PM
Get a Billy Goat vaccume the one that has the big bag on back they are NOT a blower. it is a vaccume. MTD also makes some sort of chipper bagger that bags everything and works as a vac.

Jim

vipermanz
11-02-2001, 01:54 AM
in turf mags oct. edition they have a york broom model ybwb3 broom with 2 wheel drive, and a 5 horse briggs, it is on page C8 in the prduct showcase, no website but a phone number is there
800-643-york

also try rotary power brooms (www.etec.ca)

captdevo
11-02-2001, 02:07 AM
Walker has a bristle broom attachment, as does BCS Tillers...

could always mount a few old junk yard motors on a trailer and connect the exhausts together and blow smoke up their arse!!!

or a small aircraft / airboat engine on a rider and get some real noisy blowin'

casey
11-02-2001, 08:21 PM
Have never used one but would a hover mower work on steps & walks?

joed
11-04-2001, 08:05 PM
Casey,
I've heard about the ban on leaf blowers in Toronto as well. Is there nothing that the landscape industry and manufactorers can do to prevent this from happening? Does the ban apply to backpack blowers only or does it also encompass handheld and push blowers? Perhaps one solution might be to look into putting 4 stroke motors on the backpack blowers like Honda and Redmax have done with their trimmers. Wouldn't that reduce the noise level to a more acceptable level?

kris
11-04-2001, 08:26 PM
As I read this my first thought is to say ..use them anyway...how are they going to enforce this dum azz law?

casey
11-04-2001, 09:34 PM
Kris,
We will continue to use blowers until they start handing out fines. Then we will use less efficient, louder, pollution spewing machines to complete blowing tasks.

thelawnguy
11-04-2001, 09:42 PM
So, how much are the fines? If it was the difference between using a blower and using a rake or broom, heck I'd pay the $25 fine (or whatever) every few days and adjust pricing accordingly to compensate ;)

casey
11-04-2001, 11:24 PM
I assume the fines will be over $100 for first offence & incremental after that. A $25 fine would not serve as a deterrent. I have spoken to other LCO's & we will make more noise with new toys.

Albemarle Lawn
11-05-2001, 04:02 AM
And get everyone to do it. Then the customer just has to put up with it until the law is changed.

(HINT HINT if enough people get pissed at the TOADISH law, it will be repealled by popular mandate).

Ken

kris
11-05-2001, 08:25 PM
Take the ticket .... put it off till the off season ...fight it.

Band together with other LCO's . There's got to be many, many examples of louder things in that large city.

keifer
11-05-2001, 09:05 PM
the mtd naturallawn was talkin about is a vac and chipper but with an extra part is a blower. It looks like a mower. it will clean the drive and sidewalks. it only costs around $375.

casey
11-05-2001, 10:03 PM
Keifer, missed the first post.
Here's a pic. . This thing would look like a vac but with an attachment would work as a blower. Anyone seen one in action?
MTD here I come!

David Gretzmier
11-06-2001, 01:25 AM
I am sure a welder could rig up a cheap push mower with really high lift wings on a lawn mower blade. make sure it is balanced and will actually cut to prove you "could" mow with it. a removable seal of a doughnut of metal on the underside would probably triple cfm's but render the mower/ blower less "mower" to police.I had a craftsman with some kind of blade that could really blow leaves across a lawn 'bout 10 years ago. used it to blow when blower was on the fritz.

Dave g

Martino
11-06-2001, 10:55 AM
I would suggest that everyone who considers using power blowers vital to their biz check out the following links:

http://www.recreationnet.com/rr/archives/1099/1099leaf.asp

http://www.landscapeonline.com/lolpages/editorial/businessnews/innovation/0801_news_leaf.htm

http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/features/feature.asp?ID=310&SubCatID=62&CatID=6

http://pages.prodigy.com/leaf/leaf.htm

Alternatively, do a Google search and type in "power blower bans".

You will be able to see that this is not something new....and it is coming to a community near you! I would suggest that anyone who catches wind (no pun intended) of pending blower ban legislation in your community, contact Robin Pendergrast, International Marketing Exchange, 815-363-0909. He is the national expert on this issue and represents Echo in their continuing battles against these restrictive, unfair laws. They have been at the forefront of this battle, along with LCOs, dealers and distributors whose business is adversely affected when these inane laws are enacted. Don't wait until the laws are passed...act when the issue initially comes up!

casey
11-07-2001, 09:47 PM
Very interseting reading Martino,
Our strategy, however, will be to use legal (power brooms, discharge 21's & WB's), semi legal (MTD bower that lookes like a mower) & handhelds in backyards to make as much noise as possible. Once they realise they can't ban everything the law will be recinded. Let them pass the law & see what happens.

keifer
11-08-2001, 06:49 PM
casey cub came out with it but mtd ownes them so there is a yardman mtd craftsman and several others I have one and it work pretty good.

bubble boy
11-08-2001, 08:46 PM
the bum that is initiating this issue rep. the area i live in now. been in my place 2 months, his office is down the street.

if you work in toronto, it is councillor joe mihevc and his office is at st. clair and bathurst.

and i'm told the issue goes before the planning commitee on mon nov 12 at city hall. i believe from there it will go to city council, dont know when.

the meeting on monday is open to the public, ill be there but dont know if they'll open the floor.